Microsoft to lay off 10,000 employees between now and March 31st. Gaming also said to be impacted.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm interested in seeing the number breakdown, I'd bet most are from marketing.

According to our source, at least 60 people at 343 Industries have been laid off this morning from the Redmond, Washington-based developer. This is a significant portion of the workforce which at its peak employed over 450 people. The layoffs are said to be across the company. However, they are heaviest towards individuals working on the single-player side of the studio.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Not even trolling or attempting to be funny...
"The CEO added that because customers “[optimized] their digital spend to do more with less,” some workforce reduction was necessary to align company cost and revenue with customer demands." - Microsoft Slashes 10K Jobs, Including At Xbox And Halo Studios
This answer is intentionally vague so we can't say for 100% sure but the way I'm reading that is "GamePass vs the amount of employees we currently have is not sustainable".
Talking out of my rear end because the bolded is not a clear answer; It would make sense that the success of GamePass would have a few variable outcomes:
  • Negative way to look at it: The cost to run gamepass with licensing/royalties/whatever etc. may be so high that jobs need to be cut to budget for it and it isn't a long term sustainable model.
  • Positive way to look at it: The success of gamepass has made having so many employees unnecessary and they're right-sizing their staff.
The volatility of this economy and its long term effects are difficult to navigate. Hearing about massive layoffs for ANY reason at this point isn't surprising.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Not even trolling or attempting to be funny...

This answer is intentionally vague so we can't say for 100% sure but the way I'm reading that is "GamePass vs the amount of employees we currently have is not sustainable".
Talking out of my rear end because the bolded is not a clear answer; It would make sense that the success of GamePass would have a few variable outcomes:
  • Negative way to look at it: The cost to run gamepass with licensing/royalties/whatever etc. may be so high that jobs need to be cut to budget for it and it isn't a long term sustainable model.
  • Positive way to look at it: The success of gamepass has made having so many employees unnecessary and they're right-sizing their staff.
The volatility of this economy and its long term effects are difficult to navigate. Hearing about massive layoffs for ANY reason at this point isn't surprising.

They should buy more companies!

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You work for Exel?

Nah, CHR.

Halo infinite, franchise killer

That's unfortunate, but it is what it is. The expectation is for Infinite to be what carries the franchise for the next long while, and frankly, that studio needs to rethink their approach to the series if that's going to happen.

x2y

SOHH Stupid
Supporter
Daps
Just how they been saying robots was going to take over fast food?

Again this is speculation. Its different for this to do this on a few examples but leaving "important" infrastructure stuff to an app this early in the game im highly doubtful that the layoffs are specifically for that.
They making progress on that. Only matterof time before it's mostly automated.

Some McDonalds have cut staff and mainly have kiosks to place your order and the employee either calls you to pickup up the order at the counter or they bring it out to you. I went to one of these near the Miami Zoo. They had like like 6 Kiosk and 1 kid on at the counter. One of the cleanest McD's I've ever been to and seemed efficient.