Microsoft says 10 years is ‘sufficient for Sony to develop Call of Duty alternatives’

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Dice keeps on dropping the ball on Battlefield, but I could see Respawn creating something to compete with COD. I think the major issue is to create COD is very expensive because you have to create an addictive shooter every 1-2 years which requires thousands of devs and a high budget. COD is pretty much McDonalds because you know what you're getting with each release since you're getting a good to great single player, competitive fps, and BR. Good luck to any devs trying to replicate that

I feel, it was very hard to trust the PR because Phil and company have a history of pump faking. I think they know exclusives matter, but they wee in a weaker position before since no support from Microsoft CEO. Now they have full financial backing of Microsoft, so they're going to be cutthroat to close gap in market share

If anyone could do it, Respawn probably could. The founders of Respawn made COD 4; so they've got experience in that regard. The only thing is, they'd probably have to create a second studio or hire a bunch more people to do it, because they've got Apex/Titanfall already I think.

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
Now we just gotta wait for them organic growths to kick in...

raw

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dice keeps on dropping the ball on Battlefield, but I could see Respawn creating something to compete with COD. I think the major issue is to create COD is very expensive because you have to create an addictive shooter every 1-2 years which requires thousands of devs and a high budget. COD is pretty much McDonalds because you know what you're getting with each release since you're getting a good to great single player, competitive fps, and BR. Good luck to any devs trying to replicate that

I feel, it was very hard to trust the PR because Phil and company have a history of pump faking. I think they know exclusives matter, but they wee in a weaker position before since no support from Microsoft CEO. Now they have full financial backing of Microsoft, so they're going to be cutthroat to close gap in market share
MS has said exclusives matter, Phil has said exclusives matter. Phil just doesn't like the whole premise of exclusives, but that's how the game works.

Him and others also don't think exclusive matter as much as people like to try to make them seem like they do. It's basically more PR than anything

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
If anyone could do it, Respawn probably could. The founders of Respawn made COD 4; so they've got experience in that regard. The only thing is, they'd probably have to create a second studio or hire a bunch more people to do it, because they've got Apex/Titanfall already I think.
Titanfall was special, but it had everything stacked against it last gen. I think the issue of being COD factory they would need more than 2 studios because COD is only allowed to do what they're doing since they have like 5 studios working on each game. Every COD is very costly to make since there are so many moving parts. So, even if you're able to create something to compete against COD you also need to have the funds and marketing to compete.

MS has said exclusives matter, Phil has said exclusives matter. Phil just doesn't like the whole premise of exclusives, but that's how the game works.

Him and others also don't think exclusive matter as much as people like to try to make them seem like they do. It's basically more PR than anything
I feel he was saying those stuff due to MS position of weakness. Even though multiplatform games sell the most on each platform you still need exclusives to set your console apart from the competition. I think main issue is playing the PR angle and now stuff catching up with Phil and Xbox.

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
Titanfall was special, but it had everything stacked against it last gen. I think the issue of being COD factory they would need more than 2 studios because COD is only allowed to do what they're doing since they have like 5 studios working on each game. Every COD is very costly to make since there are so many moving parts. So, even if you're able to create something to compete against COD you also need to have the funds and marketing to compete.

I feel he was saying those stuff due to MS position of weakness. Even though multiplatform games sell the most on each platform you still need exclusives to set your console apart from the competition. I think main issue is playing the PR angle and now stuff catching up with Phil and Xbox.

EA has the money; so does Epic. But I think Epic has given up making games for the most part; the Unreal Engine they make prints money for them (as well as Fortnite).

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
You don’t need to follow the activision model to beat call or duty. Most folks recognize the yearly rollout was a cash grab and often times led to worse games with newer iterations.

I’d argue COD was on deaths door before they brought back modern warfare and embrace battle royale.

The issue for Sony isn’t that they can’t create a competitor, they’re just finally being honest about how much fees from yearly multiplats are integral to their business model.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Halo is bushes status now :wow:

And losing literally half of COD's customer base is going to be good in their eyes.

It was 3 years, then 5 years, now 10, then we don't know, don't believe in exclusives. These goofs all over the place.

lol at 10 years being sufficient to develop an alternative.

They had the same amount of time and then some to build their own too. They sucked at it and had to buy out multiplatform PUBLISHERS, not even individual studios to compensate. Get these goofies out of the game :camby:
And who's fukking fault is that?

The guy you think is doing a good job :mjlol:

shyt is incredible the pass the sorry cac gets.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Now y’all hate exclusives? :umad:
To be fair this ain't even remotely the same shyt. I'm pretty sure Noone would care if they developed an exclusive new shooter or new game period for the Xbox. What Microsoft is currently doing is basically why people didn't want them getting involved with the gaming space from the jump.