Microsoft is supporting old games, While Sony and Nintendo are leaving them behind

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is slight revisionist history, and overlooking key architectural differences.

Every XBox has largely been built on the same, or somewhat interchangeable CPU platforms and storage formats (it's always been some form of disc). That was most likely a matter of convenience for them in developing a new system, and making devkits easy to work around, but it has had the side effect of making backward comparability easier to handle. Sony has switched up architecture a couple of times, and Nintendo has really only kept the same exact storage format for all of two generations.

That aside, people are conveniently overlooking that the One launched without backwards compatibility. And it wasn't because they couldn't, they just didn't feel like putting in the work at the time. They didn't launch it until a few years into that generation, when they started their current Good Guy Microsoft campaign. Which, objectively speaking, comes off more as the nostalgia arm of a hearts and minds campaign than it does some grand gesture of games preservation.

That said, the practice of selling old games back to people as is is some lame shyt. If you're going to sell me a 10/15/20+ year old game again, I need it to either be cheaper than a standard full retail release, or have improvements warranting that price tag. Nintendo absolutely needs to be taken to task for bullshyt like the 3D All Stars collection. Those games were sold at standard retail, and were largely untouched aside from changing up mechanics that called for Wiimote inputs.

It's cool that Microsoft is giving people a way to play their old games, but let's not act like they're doing it for some grand philosophical reason, or that "You can play all your old games" should be looked at as something that is a universal selling point for all gamers.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is slight revisionist history, and overlooking key architectural differences.

Every XBox has largely been built on the same, or somewhat interchangeable CPU platforms and storage formats (it's always been some form of disc). That was most likely a matter of convenience for them in developing a new system, and making devkits easy to work around, but it has had the side effect of making backward comparability easier to handle. Sony has switched up architecture a couple of times, and Nintendo has really only kept the same exact storage format for all of two generations.

That aside, people are conveniently overlooking that the One launched without backwards compatibility. And it wasn't because they couldn't, they just didn't feel like putting in the work at the time. They didn't launch it until a few years into that generation, when they started their current Good Guy Microsoft campaign. Which, objectively speaking, comes off more as the nostalgia arm of a hearts and minds campaign than it does some grand gesture of games preservation.

That said, the practice of selling old games back to people as is is some lame shyt. If you're going to sell me a 10/15/20+ year old game again, I need it to either be cheaper than a standard full retail release, or have improvements warranting that price tag. Nintendo absolutely needs to be taken to task for bullshyt like the 3D All Stars collection. Those games were sold at standard retail, and were largely untouched aside from changing up mechanics that called for Wiimote inputs.

It's cool that Microsoft is giving people a way to play their old games, but let's not act like they're doing it for some grand philosophical reason, or that "You can play all your old games" should be looked at as something that is a universal selling point for all gamers.
Lots of jewelzing here.

Don’t matter how we got here. Facts are that Microsoft is putting in the work to respect and support software purchases in a way the other platform holders are not.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps

Every XBox has largely been built on the same, or somewhat interchangeable CPU platforms l

This ain't true 360 was powerpc, nothing interchangeable about that and x86.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lots of jewelzing here.

Don’t matter how we got here. Facts are that Microsoft is putting in the work to respect and support software purchases in a way the other platform holders are not.

I mean, I literally said that what they're doing is great. The problem is that it's being painted as this massive love letter to years of gaming, but if the One launch wasn't disastrous, we're not talking about this as a feature.

I'mma enjoy playing Fight Night Champion on it when mine finally gets delivered, but that's not really a strong selling point for a lot of people.

This ain't true 360 was powerpc, nothing interchangeable about that and x86.

Different platforms, but apparently close enough to easily emulated.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Its cool but i did this on steam 10 years ago. Hence why i abandoned consoles from 2010-2017

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I mean, I literally said that what they're doing is great. The problem is that it's being painted as this massive love letter to years of gaming, but if the One launch wasn't disastrous, we're not talking about this as a feature.

I'mma enjoy playing Fight Night Champion on it when mine finally gets delivered, but that's not really a strong selling point for a lot of people.

Different platforms, but apparently close enough to easily emulated.
It’s not being “painted” as anything. The article talks about how Xbox one launched without it.

Also your claim that it was a response to Xbox one sales is false as the program was in the works from the launch of Xbox one. The Xbox one has specific hardware built in to enable 360 games to work.

furthermore your criticism doesn’t even make sense on one hand you say Microsoft is only doing this due to low console sales, then you also say the feature isn’t a “selling point”

you stumbling all over yourself with hater shyt to say. Just clap for em and move on :mjlol:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s not being “painted” as anything. The article talks about how Xbox one launched without it.

Also your claim that it was a response to Xbox one sales is false as the program was in the works from the launch of Xbox one. The Xbox one has specific hardware built in to enable 360 games to work.

furthermore your criticism doesn’t make sense on one hand you say Microsoft is only doing this due to low console sales, then you also say the feature isn’t a “selling point”

you stumbling all over yourself with hater shyt to say. :mjlol:

I literally said I appreciate that this is a thing.

Microsoft Stans :mjlol:

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So play your old games breh :mjlol:

Sony gang don’t care. We looking towards the future. :wow:
Every time i see your bullshyt i look at the rep n think “it all makes sense now:ehh:

furthermore your criticism doesn’t even make sense on one hand you say Microsoft is only doing this due to low console sales, then you also say the feature isn’t a “selling point”

you stumbling all over yourself with hater shyt to say. Just clap for em and move on :mjlol:
This is def because of the horrible xbone launch. Microsoft shyt the bed n had to fall back to rebuild good will with consumers.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is def because of the horrible xbone launch. Microsoft shyt the bed n had to fall back to rebuild good will with consumers.
No. The Xbox one has Xbox 360 specific hardware built in from jump. Once Phil took over he doubled down on this kinda stuff for the future of Xbox but it was always in the works regardless of Xbox one launch sales, which actually aren’t even that bad 60 million + consoles sold isn’t the “disaster” y’all making it out to be :stopitslime:

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
No. The Xbox one has Xbox 360 specific hardware built in from jump. Once Phil took over he doubled down on this kinda stuff for the future of Xbox but it was always in the works regardless of Xbox one launch sales, which actually aren’t even that bad 60 million + consoles sold isn’t the “disaster” y’all making it out to be :stopitslime:
Naw. Xbone was the all in one console(get it?) n focused on the wrong bullshyt resulting with Phil havin to take the captains seat n steer this brand in a diff direction. He then had to change the course for this ship to sail to glory.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Naw. Xbone was the all in one console(get it?) n focused on the wrong bullshyt resulting with Phil havin to take the captains seat n steer this brand in a diff direction. He then had to change the course for this ship to sail to glory.
I’m not sure what’s so hard for you to understand

The Xbox one was built with 360 backwards compatible specific hardware. That’s before they sold a unit or even announced the thing they were working on BC. It just was not ready for launch

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I’m not sure what’s so hard for you to understand

The Xbox one was built with 360 backwards compatible specific hardware. That’s before they sold a unit or even announced the thing they were working on BC. It just was not ready for launch
Ya so that shyt was never in the cards till Phil made the call after that failure launch. The ps5 is capable of emulation(which the xbone/series x does with a lot of older titles) but the sony heads dont wanna dedicate the time to that.

you got a source to say bc was xbox one plan from the get go? Or you just writin your own fan fiction Meech?