Microsoft is killing the Physical Gaming market

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Ok, so tell me about how if you stop paying for PSN/Gamepass/NSO, you can't access any of the games you have downloaded. :bryan:
That’s not true
You just brainwashed by the corporations to think that digital is the way to go, when in truth, going digital is just going to put you on a subscription service no different to cable packages in
No, that’s not how it works

But I am sure you are fine with this sort of future, where you don't own the games, only pay to "access" them, and once they are pulled from distribution, you cannot access them anymore. :shaq:
Again, that’s not how it works at all.
Meanwhile, my Sega Genesis & Copy of Sonic 2 are mine to keep and play whenever I feel like, without having to worry about paying a subscription fee or having it get pulled due to licensing/copyright issues. :russ:
The physical hardware will fail in time, if you want sonic 3 to last forever, you need a digital copy and some way to play it.

Like i said you have no idea what you are talking about. You sound dumb af in here:smh:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
You don't always have to "modify" a console to be able to access that sort of stuff, for example, despite Xbox Live 1.0 being discontinued by microsoft, people were able to create a custom functioning clone of it called "Insignia" which is completely usable with an unmodified xbox, you just have to adjust the internet settings on the dashboard.

did you watch that video? you gotta do a lot more than "adjust the internet settings on the dashboard". you just need a special cable, a flash drive, 1 of 6 exploitable games, and jump through a bunch of other hoops to connect to a bootleg server. all this shyt goes against the ToS and "becomes a legality issue". doing all that is modifying your console

to be clear, I ain't the police, and I don't care what people do

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
Yeah the company that gives you the most access to your old catalog by being able to at least pop it in a system compared to one company that is gonna take you for a release and another that actually took away a whole backwards compatible system from the market.

:mjlol:

The writing was on the wall for physical media when record stores starting dying in mass.

Of course you don't get to keep playing gamepass games or ps+ games you ain't purchase.

But I can still play games I bought on my 360 on my series x if I download it now and disconnect from the Internet afterwards.
And they would be tied to that specific console, so if anything happens to the console (HDD failure, Hardware failure, etc) then the games are lost until you redownload them to something else, but if Microsoft pulls another Xbox Live 1.0 and shuts down XBL for 360, then you are SOL.

currently they are already shutting down the 360 marketplace, which means 360 XBL may shutdown within the next couple years.

did you watch that video? you gotta do a lot more than "adjust the internet settings on the dashboard". you just need a special cable, a flash drive, 1 of 6 exploitable games, and jump through a bunch of other hoops to connect to a bootleg server. all this shyt goes against the ToS and "becomes a legality issue". doing all that is modifying your console

to be clear, I ain't the police, and I don't care what people do
Technically this would apply to the server
Copyright Office Adds DMCA Exemption for ‘Abandoned’ Online Games * TorrentFreak
along with this, as it was completely reverse engineered

As far as the "special cable" goes, it isn't illegal to have/make, as it is just a USB cord spliced with an xbox cord.

Also, running homebrew programs/code isn't illegal, just that some ways of circumventing the consoles security are (such as modchips) which are not being used in the above video... as for your "ToS" arguement the OG Xbox is discontinued, has been discontinued for almost 2 decades, I doubt microsoft would be out here enforcing the ToS for a long abandoned console.

If it were a modern day console, then I could understand your point, but we are talking about something that died off around 2005/06.

Another point I want to make is that in the video, the person is not jailbreaking the console, merely softmodding it to run a program and then returning to stock.

Soft modding is merely enabling the console to temporarily run homebrew code without permanently modifying it in anyway, unlike jailbreaking which is permanent

It is a very complicated issue and the wording is fairly vague in terms of DMCA legality, although the only cases where people are arrested and charged for jailbreaking consoles are ones involving modchips & illegal games, I havn't seen much in regards to soft modding in order to run homebrew.

Last edited:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Physical media has been dying a slow death for the better part of two decades. To make Microsoft the face of this is a bad faith argument. I wish physical media were here to stay permanently but productions costs/distribution and the returns have made it a too costly for all but the largest of AA and AAA releases. It is sad regardless.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Isn't this what you all wanted anyway? Every poll I've ever seen on here was calling disc users flabby and saying they hadn't bought a physical in years.

I don't think this is a good thing regardless, but we all know why this is getting the hate it is :mjpls:

Law_%26_Order-_Special_Victims_Unit_opening_title_card.jpg

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As a strictly physical owner, Im quite aware that updates, dlcs, and shyt won't be there 5-10-15 years later. It sucks but it is what it is. Even getting a physical from a store generally required some download. So as a person who has had games last longer than systems and got a new system only to pop in an old game, it sucks.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yes the fukk I do.

Don’t come at me with licensing shyt.

Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo will not be coming to my house rounding up discs.
Unfortunately for you the game on the disc is almost rarely in a complete state. Outside of being able to swap games with others or resell purposes there is little value in owning physical games.