Microsoft is killing the Physical Gaming market

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Y'all dudes wild, pick and choose when to be technical I guess, because in another thread y'all wanted to be all technical about "New Ip's"

You don't "own" any..well most of those games you have... you own the disc that has a license on it in order to play.

Now if you're lucky, for "preservation" sake, you'll have a game on disc that basically runs well with no need for updates or the Internet.

So in 20 years if you got a old PS5 a bunch of physical games and you want to fire it up and play the cyberpunk you love and remember... instead of needing the Internet, patches or the DLC hopefully you can just pop in the disc and play the game like you remember.... except you won't be able to experience any of that without the Internet or some GOTY edition with everything on Disc all updated

:francis:

Anyway carry on, y'all got it you "own" the games.:hubie:

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
So the super jank version
Doesn't matter, It is preserved regardless of how it plays due to being on a physical disc.

at that point you don't need to "own" the physical game. you just need to have the data on some medium
Then that becomes a legality issue, owning the games allows you to dump your own copy, which can then be played legally on an emulator.

The consumer is killing physical games. Same way it happened in music and movies.

I still buy physical movies and games but a lot of ppl don’t. :manny:
Microsoft is the one who pushed "Game Pass" as being the "next big thing", they were also pushing streaming and "always online". Prior to that, people were fine with buying disc based games

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Doesn't matter, It is preserved regardless of how it plays due to being on a physical disc.

Then that becomes a legality issue, owning the games allows you to dump your own copy, which can then be played legally on an emulator.

Microsoft is the one who pushed "Game Pass" as being the "next big thing", they were also pushing streaming and "always online". Prior to that, people were fine with buying disc based games
Everything that's on the Internet is preserved if you really really want it, especially games that release on PC.

Now games that are console only, those are definitely more at risk these days

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
modifying your console also becomes a legality issue

you own a piece of plastic, with data on it. you are licensed to only use that data in very specific ways. deviating from that "becomes a legality issue"

Jonah

Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
Everything that's on the Internet is preserved if you really really want it, especially games that release on PC.

Now games that are console only, those are definitely more at risk these days
everything on the internet is not preserved, as seen with situations like this.

these are examples of file hosting sites people used shutting down, resulting in the loss of untold amounts of files.

You also have the Internet Archive, one of the biggest file storage sites being targeted in a co-ordinated effort to shut it down.

Things are looking grim for file archival & storage, as companies claim they promote "copyright infringement" and do whatever they can to get them shut down.

Not to mention sites like photobucket ransoming peoples pictures, forcing people to "purchase" a subscription or have their images deleted

The quote you brought up isn't holding up in the modern era of the internet, where everything is becoming consolidated and controlled by corporations.

Jonah

Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
modifying your console also becomes a legality issue

you own a piece of plastic, with data on it. you are licensed to only use that data in very specific ways. deviating from that "becomes a legality issue"
You don't always have to "modify" a console to be able to access that sort of stuff, for example, despite Xbox Live 1.0 being discontinued by microsoft, people were able to create a custom functioning clone of it called "Insignia" which is completely usable with an unmodified xbox, you just have to adjust the internet settings on the dashboard.

Dreamcast is similar with something called "Dreamcast Live" being made. Completely accessible with an unmodified Dreamcast.

You can do the same with unmodified PSP, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox 360, etc using something called Xlink Kai.

Another example is MGO2 (MGS4 Online), which can be installed and played on an unmodified PS3 despite being discontinued by Konami many years ago.

all of this using original hardware with zero modifications.

Sony stan’s :mjlol:
:stopitslime:fukk sony, fukk nintendo & fukk microsoft, they all ruined the gaming landscape as a whole.

Microsoft is the one doing the most shady shyt

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You don't always have to "modify" a console to be able to access that sort of stuff, for example, despite Xbox Live 1.0 being discontinued by microsoft, people were able to create a custom functioning clone of it called "Insignia" which is completely usable with an unmodified xbox, you just have to adjust the internet settings on the dashboard.

Dreamcast is similar with something called "Dreamcast Live" being made. Completely accessible with an unmodified Dreamcast.

You can do the same with unmodified PSP, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox 360, etc using something called Xlink Kai.

Another example is MGO2 (MGS4 Online), which can be installed and played on an unmodified PS3 despite being discontinued by Konami many years ago.

:stopitslime:fukk sony, fukk nintendo & fukk microsoft, they all ruined the gaming landscape as a whole.

You buggin,

You don’t really understand what you are arguing or even advocating for.

Physical gaming is dying cause it’s some antiquated 1994 shyt.

We live in a connected world. If games are to be “preserved” digital data will be involved.

Jonah

Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
You buggin,

You don’t really understand what you are arguing or even advocating for.

Physical gaming is dying cause it’s some antiquated 1994 shyt.

We live in a connected world. If games are to be “preserved” digital data will be involved.
Ok, so tell me about how if you stop paying for PSN/Gamepass/NSO, you can't access any of the games you have downloaded. :bryan:

You just brainwashed by the corporations to think that digital is the way to go, when in truth, going digital is just going to put you on a subscription service no different to cable packages in the 70s/80s/90s. Same shyt, different era. :gucci:

But I am sure you are fine with this sort of future, where you don't own the games, only pay to "access" them, and once they are pulled from distribution, you cannot access them anymore. :shaq:

Meanwhile, my Sega Genesis & Copy of Sonic 2 are mine to keep and play whenever I feel like, without having to worry about paying a subscription fee or having it get pulled due to licensing/copyright issues. :russ:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Microsoft is the one doing the most shady shyt

Yeah the company that gives you the most access to your old catalog by being able to at least pop some of them into a system compared to one company that is gonna take you for a release and another that actually took away a whole backwards compatible system from the market.

:mjlol:

The writing was on the wall for physical media when record stores starting dying in mass.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ok, so tell me about how if you stop paying for PSN/Gamepass/NSO, you can't access any of the games you have downloaded. :bryan:

You just brainwashed by the corporations to think that digital is the way to go, when in truth, going digital is just going to put you on a subscription service no different to cable packages in the 70s/80s/90s. Same shyt, different era. :gucci:

But I am sure you are fine with this sort of future, where you don't own the games, only pay to "access" them, and once they are pulled from distribution, you cannot access them anymore. :shaq:

Meanwhile, my Sega Genesis & Copy of Sonic 2 are mine to keep and play whenever I feel like, without having to worry about paying a subscription fee or having it get pulled due to licensing/copyright issues. :russ:

Of course you don't get to keep playing gamepass games or ps+ games you ain't purchase.

But I can still play games I bought on my 360 on my series x if I download it now and disconnect from the Internet afterwards.