Microsoft is killing the Physical Gaming market

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The fact that people still don't realize they don't own the "physical" copy of games on disk still is pretty funny.

On top of that, owning a physical copy of games now means little of nothing since most of these games are slop before being patched up or updates.

Popping in your purchased physical copy in 20 Years and trying to play a game is going to be vastly different then when games came "finished" and complete from the mid 2000's on back.

Better have a Internet connection and hope the servers are still up

:mjlol:

But yeah it's MS fault :mjlol:

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
Yes the fukk I do.

Don’t come at me with licensing shyt.

Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo will not be coming to my house rounding up discs.
fukk around and find out

evil-mario-debutay.gif

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
The fact that people still don't realize they don't own the "physical" copy of games on disk still is pretty funny.

On top of that, owning a physical copy of games now means little of nothing since most of these games are slop before being patched up or updates.

Popping in your purchased physical copy in 20 Years and trying to play a game is going to be vastly different then when games came "finished" and complete from the mid 2000's on back.

Owning physical copies of modern games is important for preservation's sake. an example used in the video is the cyberpunk physical copy, which you can pop in regardless of internet connection and play through the entire game using the 1.0 release build.

Another example would be GTA V, where you can actually play through the original GTA Online without all the updates, experiencing the original vision for the mode before greed ended up ruining it. It can be ran either through emulation or console by doing a few modifications.

all of this data is still on the physical PS3/360 disc of GTA V.

another example is the GTA Definitive Edition physical copy on the switch having a bunch of leaked mission source code that "Grove St Games" forgot to remove.

There are more examples of source code & other important files being left forgotten in physical releases that modders such as myself are able to access and fukk around with. :blessed:

but the point still stands, physical releases are important for preservation.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You don't own your copy of whatever retro game you have lying around your house? Not the rights to the content or source code, but the actual disc. I've yet to see a physical game even as of last gen become obsolete.

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps

I think this only applies to games that are always online. If there's no online requirement, then you own the game. I don't mind a digital future, but there still need to be option for console gaming. I don't think console gamers are willing to adapt digital only like PC gamers

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Owning physical copies of modern games is important for preservation's sake. an example used in the video is the cyberpunk physical copy, which you can pop in regardless of internet connection and play through the entire game using the 1.0 release build.
So the super jank version

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
It can be ran either through emulation or console by doing a few modifications.
at that point you don't need to "own" the physical game. you just need to have the data on some medium