Microsoft Internal Roadmap Points to Breakout Year for 1st Party and Game Pass

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
In an interview with Xbox Expansion Pass’s Luke Lohr, Jeff Grubb (currently of Giant Bomb and former games reporter for Venture Beat) speculated that 2023 looks to be the year when things begin to sync up between Microsoft’s strategy and their ability to release one or more big games per quarter. Of course, after this year’s Xbox Bethesda showcase, it’s already been public information that Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Minecraft Legends and Ara: History Untold are slated for the 1st half of 2023. With the showcase limiting its focus to the next 12 months, we’ve lacked insight into what would be possible the 2nd half of the year. Jeff attempts to put the pieces together for Xbox fans. According to Jeff:

• They had a bunch of games on the docket from 2021 through 2022, which they expected in 2023
  • Games included on the list were Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Hellblade 2, Contraband, InXile’s next game, Compulsion’s Next game, and Coalition’s next non-Gears project.
  • These games were part of their internal schedule and were subject to change. He’d then go on to add that some of those games once slated for 2023 no longer pass the smell test with the most obvious example being Everwild.
  • Of that list, he predicts Hellblade 2 as #1 most likely to release back half of 2023 with Compulsion’s next game second most likely.

Starts at 20 minute section

When asked if he believes Microsoft may intentionally space things out, for example pushing back Avowed in order to avoid releasing too close to Starfield due to being in the same genre, he said “It doesn’t work that way.”

• Spacing things out made a lot of sense in the old model. It’s all additive in a subscription model.
  • Releasing two big games next to each other makes it easier for someone to pull the trigger. It’s a lot easier to keep people happy than it is to get someone to subscribe in the first place.
Of course, this internal schedule doesn’t factor in the Activision Blizzard King deal which could add more Day 1 games such as Diablo 4 and the Overwatch campaign to the mix. Knowing that Microsoft has had so many bullets ready to fire in 2023 and doesn’t appear afraid to release “too many games” at once, is 2023 going to be a tipping point for Game Pass? Visit our forums to tell us what you think and please check out the rest of the interview with Jeff Grubb at the Xbox Expansion Pass podcast in the link below:

Leasy

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
I wonder how long it will take them to realize that big budget games aren’t profitable on the Day 1 subscription model…? :jbhmm:

They want to boost subscription models that is more profitable than big budget games. They are getting what Sony gets from Call of Duty yearly in a month with Xbox Gamepass. shyt too successful.

Gamepass has over 25 million subscribers. Let's say 20 million of them is subscribed to Ultimate which is 15 dollars a month. The total amount is 300 million a month.

Why won't it work?

Leasy

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Comment saved for when they do what all these other services out here are planning on doing, and you're in here sucking their dikk:sas1:
Dumbass subscriptions been with video games since Xbox live was created. You dumbass so blind with fanboyism, that you don’t realize y’all being paying PSN and Xbox Live for 20 years. :camby:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
On paper it should be, but it seems every year something gets delayed or there are issues. I will be happy if we're able to get Forza, Starfield, Redfall, and Diablo launching on gamepass if ABK deal goes through. I really hope Avowed is a 2023 game, but I have a feeling it's 2024

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Dumbass subscriptions been with video games since Xbox live was created. You dumbass so blind with fanboyism, that you don’t realize y’all being paying PSN and Xbox Live for 20 years. :camby:

You a stupid fukk:russ:. Sony hasn't been giving away the good shyt until they've made their money on it. They even said with the revamped PS+ that they will not be doing day one drops, because they spent too much money making the shyt. But keep acting like they have an infinite amount subscribers to pay their monthly fee, that will have them profiting, and increasing profits year after year after year. It doesn't matter if it's video games or movies/tv. But like I said, comment saved for when you're eventually in here sucking off Phil, when their additional monetization strategies are announced.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wonder how long it will take them to realize that big budget games aren’t profitable on the Day 1 subscription model…? :jbhmm:

I mean if that's your bread and butter then sure it's not profitable at all, much like super high budget movies on Netflix.

But when that's not your main draw then popping one maybe two out a year keeps long term subs and brings in new ones.

There will be valleys and peaks but overall consistent money > inconsistent money

Trying to get people to pay monthly for things has been a thing since credit cards and way back in the 90s when they tried to get you with the free magazine, that rolled over Into a monthly bill and cable/hbo/stars channels.

Microsoft and Xbox will be more than ok because they have the deep pockets to be in this long term and pivot with changes.

Sony could pivot but they'd have to take a L now to make money later and they aren't ready to do that.

They clearly aren't ready to lose money on any front right now.

Games from them went up, hardware went up. They not trying to give away games day and date yet. But eventually they'll have too or at least offer them very soon after release.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
They want to boost subscription models that is more profitable than big budget games. They are getting what Sony gets from Call of Duty yearly in a month with Xbox Gamepass. shyt too successful.

Gamepass has over 25 million subscribers. Let's say 20 million of them is subscribed to Ultimate which is 15 dollars a month. The total amount is 300 million a month.

Why won't it work?
That $300 mill isn’t allocated to one game. It’s for all games placed on GP including the cuts that non-MS games get for placing their games on GP, development of other big budget games, advertisement, etc…

Plus they are spending $80+ billion on Zenni and ActiBlizz. Hell even at a sustained $300 mill/month from GP thats over 22 years to break even.

In many ways I hope they get ActiBlizz, and pull immediately from PS just so that their “profitability” hits even harder.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I mean if that's your bread and butter then sure it's not profitable at all, much like super high budget movies on Netflix.

But when that's not your main draw then popping one maybe two out a year keeps long term subs and brings in new ones.

There will be valleys and peaks but overall consistent money > inconsistent money

Trying to get people to pay monthly for things has been a thing since credit cards and way back in the 90s when they tried to get you with the free magazine, that rolled over Into a monthly bill and cable/hbo/stars channels.

Microsoft and Xbox will be more than ok because they have the deep pockets to be in this long term and pivot with changes.

Sony could pivot but they'd have to take a L now to make money later and they aren't ready to do that.

They clearly aren't ready to lose money on any front right now.

Games from them went up, hardware went up. They not trying to give away games day and date yet. But eventually they'll have to or at least offer them very soon after release.
Xbox is a division of MS. If this shyt ends up being a net negative changes in strategy/leadership WILL be made. Phill and them nikkas aren’t more powerful than the board and major shareholders. MS isn’t Xbox’s fukking charity basket.