Microsoft Explains Why Edge Has So Few Extensions

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
It's now a little more than a year since Microsoft first brought extensions to Edge. After so long you would expect the selection of addons to be overwhelming -- but that's far from being the case. In all, there are only 70-odd Edge extensions available, and Microsoft has been moved to explain why.

In a blog post, the company almost apologetically explains that it is "building a thoughtfully curated ecosystem," citing concern over quality and a fear of diminishing the user experience. What some might describe as "slow," Microsoft refers to as a "purposefully metered approach" to new extensions, and you probably shouldn't expect things to speed up a great deal any time soon.

Colleen Williams, senior program manager for Microsoft Edge, says "We want Microsoft Edge to be your favorite browser, with the fundamentals you expect -- speed, power efficiency, reliability, security." She also adds that "Astute observers of our release notes and active testers in the Insider program may have noticed that some preview builds break extensions temporarily."

Microsoft explains why Edge has so few extensions a year down the line

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
That's fine with me. As long as all of the extensions are carefully vetted to where I don't have to sort through piles of garb, great.

teacher

All Star
Daps
I noticed with edge while multitasking with certain programs you cant stream video at the same time....works fine when I dled chrome though :beli:

teacher

All Star
Daps
Edge sucks and a large reason why people were annoyed with Windows Phone.

Sorry
@Art Barr

it's the lack of apps that have people annoyed with windows phone, which was supposed to be rectified with edge since it was supposed to be a full blown browser not a mobile one...

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
That's fine with me. As long as all of the extensions are carefully vetted to where I don't have to sort through piles of garb, great.
So you just go looking for random extensions to add to you browser like that?

:gucci:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
So you just go looking for random extensions to add to you browser like that?

:gucci:

For the most part I stick with noscript and adblock, but occasionally I will look through the extensions to see what's interesting. A curated collection makes it more convenient to find something I will actually use, but it can also be a lot more secure if these are actually scanned for malicious code.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
it's the lack of apps that have people annoyed with windows phone, which was supposed to be rectified with edge since it was supposed to be a full blown browser not a mobile one...

People kill me with all that app shyt.
With windows phone only app you do not have is snap chat I believe. Any thing else you wanna do windows phone has a quality app for.
Plus it is a high quality app and not a sea of knock off or poorly programmed revenue grab style app in abundance.
I rather have tile life than that boring lunix interface. I do not even use a linux terminal. what do I need a phone with Linux for. I ain't no computer programmer.

Art Barr

teacher

All Star
Daps
People kill me with all that app shyt.
With windows phone only app you do not have is snap chat I believe. Any thing else you wanna do windows phone has a quality app for.
Plus it is a high quality app and not a sea of knock off or poorly programmed revenue grab style app in abundance.
I rather have tile life than that boring lunix interface. I do not even use a linux terminal. what do I need a phone with Linux for. I ain't no computer programmer.

Art Barr

The apps I do miss are the banking apps and no ebay app (since I’m trying to become a comic book flipper), but again edge handles these things pretty well a specific app is just a little more convenient.