Microsoft buys Nokia

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/microsoft-will-acquire-nokias-devices-and-services-business/

"Whoa. Big news from the middle of the night. According to Nokia, Microsoft will purchase "substantially" all of Nokia's device and service arms as well as licensing the phone maker's patents and mapping know-how. Redmond will pay Nokia a cool 3.79 billion euros ($4.99 billion) for the business, and 1.65 billion euros ($2.18 billion) for the patent armory.

Microsoft is hoping that allying with its biggest Windows Phone manufacturer will speed up growth (and improve its smartphone market share) -- the company is already promising "increased synergies". CEO Steve Ballmer added: "It's a bold step into the future - a win-win for employees, shareholders and consumers of both companies. Bringing these great teams together will accelerate Microsoft's share and profits in phones, and strengthen the overall opportunities for both Microsoft and our partners across our entire family of devices and services."

According to the companies, 32,000 people will transfer across Microsoft, including 4,700 people in Finland and 18,300 employees directly involved in product manufacture. If you thought it was only the Windows Phone component, you'd be wrong: Microsoft will also take into ownership Nokia's Asha range of feature phones. Patent-wise, Microsoft gets 10-year non-exclusive license to its Finnish partner's library of ideas and "reciprocal rights" to use Microsoft patents within its HERE mapping services.

Elop was a mole all along :banderas:

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
waste of money, theyd probly make more profit making android devices

They probably will since the success of android phones benefits them as well. They will probably have android and windows phones and maybe slowly phase out android or phase out windows phones. At least that's what id guess

Last edited:

Kabnis

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They probably will since the success of android phones benefits them as well. They will probably have android and windows phones and maybe slowly phase out android or phase out windows phones.
Isn't the whole point of windows 8 though is for windows to have an OS that works on tablets and smart phones?

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
:huhldup:I wouldn't bet on HTC. They having financial troubles & are about to be on the selling block. Worldwide, Sony is selling the most phones after Apple & Samsung.
I just saw them with Robert Downey Jr. in a commercial. They fakin like that :laugh:

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Isn't the whole point of windows 8 though is for windows to have an OS that works on tablets and smart phones?

Yeah but the fact that they make more from android phones than windows phones may make them operate differently. I don't think they would actually phase windows phones out though.

Smooth3d

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa,Ok
:huhldup:I wouldn't bet on HTC. They having troubles & are about to be on the selling block. Worldwide, Sony is selling the most phones after Apple & Samsung.
HTC is not hurting like that. They just posted their first loss ever from mostly clearing out old inventory of phones. The HTC One has been a huge success. Its the second most sold Android phone.