Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They are mostly licensed with the movies back then. If Activision wanted to bring them to modern stores they would have to get permission from sony.

Most of them got removed from digital stores around the time sony got the license for the new spiderman games.

What, this isn’t true at all lol

Activision would have to regain the licensing with Disney on their own. Spider-man exists in games outside of playstation, midnight suns, and ultimate alliance 3 which is exclusive to nintendo. It has nothing to do with sony

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
What, this isn’t true at all lol

Activision would have to regain the licensing with Disney on their own. Spider-man exists in games outside of playstation, midnight suns, and ultimate alliance 3 which is exclusive to nintendo. It has nothing to do with sony
I’m talking about the spider-man games of the 2000s they were all movie tie ins.

Why do you think they were pulled from digital stores?

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Oh, that might be true. But the shattered dimensions, ultimate game, and web of shadows could be put back up
That's what I tought about those, and then other Marvel games like Hulk and X-Men could be up in the air. However, I don't think Hulk: ultimate destruction and X-Men legends are tied to movie studios, so should be free to release those if thy ask Disney. However, unsure if cost of licensing out those old games are worth it unless you're going to do a remaster/remake. However, at that point better off just making a fresh game using those IPs

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That's what I tought about those, and then other Marvel games like Hulk and X-Men could be up in the air. However, I don't think Hulk: ultimate destruction and X-Men legends are tied to movie studios, so should be free to release those if thy ask Disney. However, unsure if cost of licensing out those old games are worth it unless you're going to do a remaster/remake. However, at that point better off just making a fresh game using those IPs

There might be other stipulations which make it hard to get licensing also, the music or paying residuals to the voice actors, etc.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Oh, that might be true. But the shattered dimensions, ultimate game, and web of shadows could be put back up
When Marvel signed with Sony they pulled the licensees for all the those Activision marvel games.

I’m sure sony isn’t the sole “cause” but they definitely got very close in business as Marvel wanted to put spidey in their movies.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Nope sony owns the rights and pulled spider-man from everything but playstation
I'm pretty sure Marvel has the rights. They gave Sony a license to make the games they've been making and it seemed like an overall part of a quid pro quo related to Spider Man in the MCU. Spider Man was in the exclusive game Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch for example. Not a Sony platform or related to Sony.

The older Spider Man games are in the same boat as Marvel vs Capcom. Marvel and the publisher would have to agree to terms for those releases.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
There might be other stipulations which make it hard to get licensing also, the music or paying residuals to the voice actors, etc.
Yeah, it's why I wouldn't even touch these Marvel games if it's that complicated. However, might be able to get away by removing music and other things, but again might be putting too much of work in these old games. I feel they're better off getting Radical for example to make a new Hulk game and go from there.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, it's why I wouldn't even touch these Marvel games if it's that complicated. However, might be able to get away by removing music and other things, but again might be putting too much of work in these old games. I feel they're better off getting Radical for example to make a new Hulk game and go from there.

Or they can just put the prototype games on there if they want a superhero game

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm pretty sure Marvel has the rights. They gave Sony a license to make the games they've been making and it seemed like an overall part of a quid pro quo related to Spider Man in the MCU. Spider Man was in the exclusive game Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch for example. Not a Sony platform or related to Sony.

The older Spider Man games are in the same boat as Marvel vs Capcom. Marvel and the publisher would have to agree to terms for those releases.
The older spidey games are tied in with the movies. They’d have to get an OK from Sony for those games too.

The licenses were pulled from activision around the time Marvel and sony started making deals for spidey in marvel movie and playstation games.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
I'm not sure what the big deal is either way. I mostly game on PS5 but I have an Xbox that I don't even play really. COD won't make me switch over to Xbox. I'll still continue to game on PS5 because that's where the games have been the last few yrs. Xbox will still put COD on PS5 cause that's where a majority of the sales are. People forget that M$ is a publicly traded company. They gave to recoup that money and the entire leadership team will be removed if the cut themselves off from billions in revenue just to move it to exclusively gamepass. The console wars is wild honestly. Everyone should have 2-3 consoles at this point

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Any game that has spiderman has to to get it approved by marvel who *probably runs it by Sony in some manner as they have a working relationship as of now.

I'm sure Sony could make a stink about games that include spiderman or a solo game but it probably wouldn't be worth risking it with the current cash cow they have.

So Sony definitely has some say in the matter even if it's unofficially technically.

The biggest hold up is probably music licenses tho, followed by Sony potentially feeling some kinda way.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
They oughta reboot Crackdown. The first couple of those games were fire