Microsoft / Activision Deal Leaves Sony Stans in Shambles | M$ Wins Fight Against FTC

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
We’re going into a future with M$ buying up more publishers and demanding gamepass be available on whatever platform they publish games on.

But yea we get to play COD2014 on gamepass.
Microsoft didn't invent this exclusive game. Nintendo basically did and Sony grabbed the fumble and ran with it. Microsoft is just playing the game with the tools they have.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Microsoft didn't invent this exclusive game. Nintendo basically did and Sony grabbed the fumble and ran with it. Microsoft is just playing the game with the tools they have.
I've explained this multiple times, I generally don't have a problem with timed-exclusives. I have a problem with companies outright buying already consolidated publishers.

But y'all celebrate y'alls win. Everything looks good in the short term.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Today a US District Court judge issued a decision denying the Federal Trade Commission’s request for a preliminary injunction, which would have temporarily blocked our acquisition of Activision Blizzard from closing in the United States. We’re grateful that, upon a review of the evidence and witness testimony, the Court rejected the FTC’s claims that our acquisition would harm consumers. The evidence showed the deal is good for the industry and that the FTC’s claims about console switching, multi-game subscription services, and the cloud do not reflect the realities of the gaming market.

After today’s decision, we are turning our focus to the UK. As you may be aware, a few months ago, the UK Competition and Markets Authority recommended that the deal be prohibited. We disagree with the CMA’s concerns and have challenged its decision on appeal. At the same time, however, we are considering how the transaction might be modified to address the CMA’s concerns in a way that is acceptable to the CMA. In order to prioritize work on potential options, Microsoft and Activision have agreed with the CMA that pausing the appeal now would be in the public interest, and both we and the CMA have made a joint submission to the Competition Appeal Tribunal to this effect.

From the beginning, the Gaming Leadership Team and I have believed that this acquisition will meaningfully benefit players and the gaming industry. Since we announced our intent, our actions have demonstrated our commitment to bringing more games to more people on more devices. This includes numerous signed agreements to make Activision Blizzard’s games, Xbox first party games and Game Pass all available to more players than they are today. I’m proud of our efforts to expand player access and choice throughout the process. This deal has already been cleared to move forward in 38 countries, and we will continue to work toward timely resolution in other jurisdictions.

Thank you to everyone who has devoted their time and dedication in support of our acquisition. We embarked on this deal with a clear vision for meeting players where they are, and with today’s decision by the Court, we take an important step forward in bringing this vision to life.

Phil

sounds like they had previously got the CMA to agree to consider deal modifications, if the FTC's injunction wasn't granted

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Utterly shambolic on the PS5 Reddit :mjlol: . "This is only going to lead to more industry consolidation :damn:. Now Sony is going to have to buy studios because Microsoft might make exclusives :damn: . I don't care about [insert Activision game here] but I'm scared about what this means for the game I don't care about :damn: ."

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
I've explained this multiple times, I generally don't have a problem with timed-exclusives. I have a problem with companies outright buying already consolidated publishers.

But y'all celebrate y'alls win. Everything looks good in the short term.
People think MS is going to put all games on Game Pass for the low low. They don't call them M$ for no reason.

Last edited: