Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland

Imgone8itch

All Star
Daps
how can you not? look what he was spending.
Yea I get that but damn he been working since he was 9. Selling out worldwide tours sold a billion albums I get it but still hard to think he couldn't pay bodyguards.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
Yea I get that but damn he been working since he was 9. Selling out worldwide tours sold a billion albums I get it but still hard to think he couldn't pay bodyguards.
it's not so hard when you are a successful black artist with a lot of emotional baggage who's compensating his pain by going on spending binges and not paying attention to his lifestyle expenses

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
He had a lot in assets, but actual cash nah. Dude spent A LOT. Just keeping Neverland running was millions per yer. In that Martin Bashir (sp?) special we saw him in one trip to the mall spending thousands of dollars a piece on individual items without thinking about it. "I'll take that, and that..give me that one"...Buying random stuff that weren't even selling items. Multiply that day by 25 years and it's not hard to grasp

In the book Making Michael there's a story of him and his friend driving back from the studio recording Thriller when his Rolls Royce catches on fire. MJ sits under a tree with headphones on laughing while his boy tries to put the fire out. His $200,000 car is in flames and he didn't even care

Last edited:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I just caught the movie had some thoughts.

Navi did a good job being Michael Jackson, even though he is an impersonator, it's not the same as acting. It's clear he took the acting seriously and did a good job conveying some of the complicated things going on in Michaels life. He captured the looks the mannerisms and some of Mikes subtleties like his kinda acidic sense of humor.

The two actors that played the bodyguards did their thing too.

Overall I think the film did a very good job of humanizing a larger than life figure. Did Mike have his flaws yes, he was clearly very bad at handling his money because for 75% of his life he brought in enough capital to fund and extremely extravagant lifestyle. You're speaking of a guy who could spend 40k or 50k not on a shopping trip but just going into one store and he's been doing that for decades. Michael also asked a lot of his employees but it's clear that he did not give that back in return, I mean I don't care who you are, I would not let someone stiff me out months of back pay especially when there's children to feed. But Michael was also a dedicated father to his children and wanted the best for them, but on some level, he also relived his childhood through them as well. Complex stuff.

Either way this is probably the best, if not top 3 lifetime movie of all time, imo.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
I just caught the movie had some thoughts.

Navi did a good job being Michael Jackson, even though he is an impersonator, it's not the same as acting. It's clear he took the acting seriously and did a good job conveying some of the complicated things going on in Michaels life. He captured the looks the mannerisms and some of Mikes subtleties like his kinda acidic sense of humor.

The two actors that played the bodyguards did their thing too.

Overall I think the film did a very good job of humanizing a larger than life figure. Did Mike have his flaws yes, he was clearly very bad at handling his money because for 75% of his life he brought in enough capital to fund and extremely extravagant lifestyle. You're speaking of a guy who could spend 40k or 50k not on a shopping trip but just going into one store and he's been doing that for decades. Michael also asked a lot of his employees but it's clear that he did not give that back in return, I mean I don't care who you are, I would not let someone stiff me out months of back pay especially when there's children to feed. But Michael was also a dedicated father to his children and wanted the best for them, but on some level, he also relived his childhood through them as well. Complex stuff.

Either way this is probably the best, if not top 3 lifetime movie of all time, imo.
but it left a lot of unanswered questions... why was he broke when he own a catalog that brings in millions? why did they continue to work for him when he is willing to spend over 40,000 on toys for his children? why was performing his only option to paying off a debt?

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
but it left a lot of unanswered questions... why was he broke when he own a catalog that brings in millions? why did they continue to work for him when he is willing to spend over 40,000 on toys for his children? why was performing his only option to paying off a debt?

Michael did not want to sell his catalog and while he was making a lot of money in royalties, it wasn't enough to maintain his super extravagant lifestyle. Also he spent MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars on lawyers and fees in the 2nd child molestation trial. Also Neverland Ranch was a money pit, Mike apparently owed 24 milly to the bank financing it and it cost him millions just to maintain the property. Michael had a lot in assets but he was cash poor. Getting a contract was the only way he could get the cash to cover his debts, if I remember he was going to walk away with 100 million to do the This is It Tour if not more. I have no idea why those dudes kept working for him after he blew that type of money on his kids, though.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
Michael did not want to sell his catalog and while he was making a lot of money in royalties, it wasn't enough to maintain his super extravagant lifestyle. Also he spent MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollars on lawyers and fees in the 2nd child molestation trial. Also Neverland Ranch was a money pit, Mike apparently owed 24 milly to the bank financing it and it cost him millions just to maintain the property. Michael had a lot in assets but he was cash poor. Getting a contract was the only way he could get the cash to cover his debts, if I remember he was going to walk away with 100 million to do the This is It Tour if not more. I have no idea why those dudes kept working for him after he blew that type of money on his kids, though.
micheal did not know how to make money off the catalog, he could have leased the beatle songs to any investor and payed back that debt in no time. he was not on top of his earnings. he spent a lot of time avoiding the people that was handling his money. why didn't he find property or investments that would cover his debts.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
micheal did not know how to make money off the catalog, he could have leased the beatle songs to any investor and payed back that debt in no time. he was not on top of his earnings. he spent a lot of time avoiding the people that was handling his money. why didn't he find property or investments that would cover his debts.

I think you alluded to it. Michael knew the show business side like the back of his hand, and he knew how to monetize it but investments and things like that weren't his strong suits. I mean dude was probably given financial advice like that and he chose not to listen. He has a history of avoiding the nuts and bolts of his finances and assumes that people handling his money always had his best interests in mind and I remember in one of his books that he was given multiple offers to lease out the Beatles catalog and he refused because he didn't want to cheapen their legacy or something like that. I think the other thing with property and investments is that they're slow money, you gotta hold on to them before you start making real gains from it. Mike needed fast money because of his crazy day to day expenses.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
I think you alluded to it. Michael knew the show business side like the back of his hand, and he knew how to monetize it but investments and things like that weren't his strong suits. I mean dude was probably given financial advice like that and he chose not to listen. He has a history of avoiding the nuts and bolts of his finances and assumes that people handling his money always had his best interests in mind and I remember in one of his books that he was given multiple offers to lease out the Beatles catalog and he refused because he didn't want to cheapen their legacy or something like that. I think the other thing with property and investments is that they're slow money, you gotta hold on to them before you start making real gains from it. Mike needed fast money because of his crazy day to day expenses.
his management and his business advisors fukk him bad. if he borrowing money from londell mcmillian to buy toys for his kids and not paying his security.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
the movie was based on this book from 2014 (which i've read and own):

419yQWDje-L.jpg

this is probably the first and last POSITIVE and REAL depiction out there and they did a good job of accuracy

a lot of the MJ fan base is pissed because it showed MJ in a somewhat negative light but they kept it 100 in the book, they had no agenda and nothing to hide

true enough, they didn't get paid because MJ was rich in assets - but for whatever reason, he couldn't touch the money or get loans off of it

grimy music business shyt i suppose

in the book they said they didn't leave because if they did, MJ and his kids literally would have had NOBODY. just to fukking talk to or hang around.

they overstepped their bodyguard boundaries and started helping MJ handle business deals and personal family matters

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
An actual MJ theater movie would need to be like the Harry Potter series. Multiple installments. Dude's life was too extravagant to fit into one film.

MJ was so layered and multi faceted that I dont think it would even be believable to most. His story really is one that's stranger than fiction. I seriously think MJ wasn't supposed to be here, born at the wrong time or in the wrong situation. I got fam that knew him, as a kid and as an adult. They went to the same church as some folks in my family, had fam that went to Roosevelt with the older siblings, my pops first job was at Sears with Katheryn's best friend, and I got a cousin that worked for him for about a year. MJ threw alot of mis direction and smoke screens out, for whatever reason, who knows. But dude was a master at making you think it was one way but it really was the other. Like that last case he beat and he went into hiding and was supposed to be living in the middle east somewhere, dude was really in suburban DC out in NOVA staying in a modest ass ranch house. He would dress up like an old white man and go out in the middle of the night pushing a beater and just do random shyt like drive thru the hood, catch a drink at shytty joint, or rent a movie theater out in the middle of the night and watch 2-3 movies in a row by himself. My cousin said dude was pretty regular and actually kinda hood when he was just chilling around normal Black folks, he could sit back and chop it up with normal brehs so easy that it would catch you off guard if you saw him do it and didn't know him personally. Almost like the whole plastic surgery and voice thing was a joke that only he was in on or some shyt. I know it sounds wild and most probably wouldn't buy the hood shyt, but I believe my cousin. They from one of the rougher parts of a city that's already 90% rough, the whole family hood, a few decades of being rich out in Cali wont change that. That family was deep, Joe had a sister that had damn near as many kids as he did and you can go to some areas in Gary and East Chicago right now and run across some random Jackson family kin in the hood doing some random shyt.

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Why can't this guy hide his Indian accent it's offensive as shyt