Method Man Says He's Never Made Any Money From Streaming

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Method Man has revealed that he’s yet to earn any streaming income from his music, despite his success as a solo artist and with Wu-Tang Clan.

The rap legend made the surprise revelation during an interview with Wale Ogunleye, Head of Sports & Entertainment at UBS, that was released on Hot 97’s YouTube channel.

While discussing the rise of artificial intelligence and its impact on artists and other creatives, Meth said: “I’m still trying to figure out AI but I have seen some things that have made me raise an eyebrow — the Drake diss with the [fake] 2Pac and Snoop, the fake Kendrick [diss songs]. It’s a lot to it.

“I mean, I think it goes way deeper than that, especially when it comes to IPs [intellectual property] for artists that came from my era. Because honestly I’ve never gotten a streaming check for any of my music.”

He added: “Like I said, I’m still trying to figure it all out because there may be someone who can make a perfect mix of the two where — I’m not saying to accept it, but at least make art out of it, and that’s what I’m always for, the creative part.”

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Not necessarily. A lot of those contracts and record deals didn't account for streaming so they're essentially outdated.

It's happening in a lot of the entertainment industry and not just in music.
Sounds like entertainers need to go to these offices like the lox did

These folks need refrigerators dropped on they head

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Not necessarily. A lot of those contracts and record deals didn't account for streaming so they're essentially outdated.

It's happening in a lot of the entertainment industry and not just in music.
Somebody getting the money. He gotta figure something out.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So it can flop? he said so himself on Drink Champs.

He makes around 60k a show, and tours constantly, plus TV shows, sponsorship deals he has.. he's living fine.

So people would have a reasons to put him in playlists and stream his music. Mainstream legacy acts refuse to learn from the thriving underground.

Meth probably got more streams off that record with Conway than his entire solo catalogue of albums.