mental health and race: the amount of leeway given to whites compared to blacks when....

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
Dawg.

You know why I don't seek help? Cause I got it under control. Which means I've dealt with the ups and downs. I have a support system of friends and family members that I can talk to and that help to lift me up. How dare you even assume that you know what goes on with my life outside of this message board? That's offensive man, you wouldn't like it if I assumed a bunch of stuff that was not even remotely resembling the reality you lived in. So what makes you think I'm going to take this without question? As well, I also take medication for my depression and anxiety. Like seriously, you do not know how insulting and belittling that is and that's one of the reasons I made this thread. If you knew ANYTHING about mental illness, you should know the last thing anybody going through it wants to hear or be seen as or stigmatized is as some person who can't function properly when even given my depression and anxiety I have managed to run my own business and be gainfully employed.

I post on this forum cause it is therapeutic to talk to other black people who go through it or have dealt with mental illness in their lives cause we're living in a different world than you.

People automatically think a joke I make (cause I delve in dark raunchy humor from time to time) is a cause for me to "seek help". Dude this is why I got mad at you in that thread. Cause honestly, as much as you would like to think you know me. You don't. You haven't walked a mile in my shoes. You don't know what I went through to get to this point. You don't even know what I look like. I don't even know what you look like. This is why I took offense to what you said cause it is belittling.

And now I'm going to respectfully ask you to play your position and refrain from speaking on me and things you do not know. It's obscenely offensive, and you really coming off as some entitled douche that thinks they can speak on black people's affairs. Most notably; MINE!
but how does that explain your outbursts at other black people on this site, threatening them physical harm w weapons and calling them racial slurs? :jbhmm:

you can hide behind the you being black, me being white thing. but that only covers a few of your tantrums in thelast 2 years.

seek help.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
I see what you're saying OP. However, there is very little we can do until we start supporting our own.

We need to support BLACK mental health professionals so that we can figure out why diagnoses are the way they are. We already know that white people see us as inferior so they are going to find every way to put us and keep us down. And, when we do "outshine" them, there is always an excuse.

If you want to make an impact, volunteer at local schools, try to help young black kids as they progress through the educational system because we know the system isn't built in our favor. Run for local office and eventually you can hire black professionals to change the culture of your community.

As far as caring what they think...I see that being a huge issue. You can't expect the people who have never given a fyck about you to start tomorrow. There is no need to pander to them. We ALL KNOW they have what they have and we have less (as far as systems, representation, fair advantage, etc.) but no study that is paid for, completed by, and written for white people is ever going to favor black people.

Coli Bot

DM ME YOU WON
Daps
Reppin
BK
I see what you're saying OP. However, there is very little we can do until we start supporting our own.

We need to support BLACK mental health professionals so that we can figure out why diagnoses are the way they are. We already know that white people see us as inferior so they are going to find every way to put us and keep us down. And, when we do "outshine" them, there is always an excuse.

If you want to make an impact, volunteer at local schools, try to help young black kids as they progress through the educational system because we know the system isn't built in our favor. Run for local office and eventually you can hire black professionals to change the culture of your community.

As far as caring what they think...I see that being a huge issue. You can't expect the people who have never given a fyck about you to start tomorrow. There is no need to pander to them. We ALL KNOW they have what they have and we have less (as far as systems, representation, fair advantage, etc.) but no study that is paid for, completed by, and written for white people is ever going to favor black people.
You said what I was trying to say so much better than me :dwillhuh:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
@CHICAGO
@Always-Right Liggins
@horse. kills

you guys have any thoughts on this subject matter?
he's got some good points about how oppression can really wear on someone

but i dont get why he thinks it's out of bounds to be told to get help when he's openly described the emotional pitfalls he experiences

there's nothing wrong with seeking help anyway :yeshrug: everyone should seek professional help if you ask me. life is tough

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
oh but this was :heh:

That's offensive man, you wouldn't like it if I assumed a bunch of stuff that was not even remotely resembling the reality you lived in. So what makes you think I'm going to take this without question?

considering that's exactly what i just got on him for :ehh:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It never used to always be that way :mjpls:

This Cac wrote a book called the protest psychosis. It shows how a state hospital in Michigan started labeling black men as schizophrenic right after the civil rights movement. Many of the dudes labeled as mentally ill were members of the Nation of Islam, the Black Panther Party, and other civil rights organizations. I'm sure it was purely coincidental :sas2:

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
There's a lot of PTSD in the hood. Having to deal with crime, sub-standard housing employment and education, environmental pollution and police brutality on a daily basis for decades. That shyt wears on a person.

Then people have the nerve to look down on people in the hood and act like if they only pulled their pants up and spoke proper English everything will magically tun around.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
You are making good points. I'm sorry your thread isn't going the way you want it to, but don't let that stop you from spreading your message.

This might not be the right audience, but still....say what you want to say.
Sometimes i just get frustrated with this board...

Especially when I'm trying to make points, trying to have a civil comversation without resorting to name calling, when I'm going in depth. Its like some people either dont care what I got to say ot they just want to rile me up to entertain themselves or antagonize me when I just want to make conversation.

I get sick of trying to convince people who will never even attempt to comprehend what I'm trying to say or what I've been through as someone who has dealt with depression.

Thanks though. I appreciate it. I've honestly done so much to not be seen in a negative light on here that i just feel embarassed now when i let little things to lose my cool

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
:yeshrug: he swings from one point to the next regardless of how contradictory it is

Yea. I do. I can admit to my own faults that Ive been trying to improve upon. Sometimes the conversation in certain threads can get heated in parts and personally I have to step away at times cause the negativity can be overwhelming and the last thing im trying to do is be consumed by negativity.

Again....i understand if you felt a certain about what i said i just want to apologize man. If you dont want to accept that thats cool I personally dont want to be seen in that light.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Yea. I do. I can admit to my own faults that Ive been trying to improve upon. Sometimes the conversation can get heated in parts and personally I have to step away at times cause the negativity can be overwhelming and the last thing im trying to do is be consumed by negativity.

Again....i understand if you felt a certain about what i said i just want to apologize man. If you dont want to accept that thats cool I personally dont want to be seen in that light.
no need to apologize, just educate yourself. ask questions, shyt you can ask me if you want, not that i can answer all of them. just dont repeat shyt about sensitive issues you've got no idea about. if you're in NYC, you're in the new jerusalem, you dont lack for any resources on that particular issue.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
@philmonroe why did you one star this thread?

:patrice:

In fact you seem to have some sort of issue with my threads on mental health as it relates to black people in white society. Like my other thread about being black in a predominantly white town/city/area being mentally and physifally damaging.

What is it about those subjects that you dont like? I mean, if you are black you can't pretend like that isnt a big issue. I personally like making threads about black people and mental health because it isnt discussed much and I figured since this board has a predominantly black (regular) userbase that the conversation would be welcome.

I just think that's kind of...weird. thats all. Whats wrong with talking about how much of a toll this society takes on the black mind and how double standards between whites and black can create situations where black people are either misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all?