• Juice

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

Deoji

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Zone 6 via PG County
Boyz felt like an afterschool special at times and Ricky was just painfully stupid :snoop:

if you saw Menace first then that makes a little more sense. But Boyz set the precedent and nobody viewed it as a soft movie by any stretch. Hughes Bros had to make Menace more violent and exaggerated imo

Boogie

Big Homie
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Boyz in da hood is more realistic out of all of them

Bith and menace are both realistic. You gotta remember the settings was different. Bith was about ordinary cats trying to survive in the hood (they was just 'Boyz in the Hood) but Menace was about nikkas deep in the game.

LA was violent as fukk back then. shyt everywhere was :manny:

Last edited:

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Boyz in da hood is more realistic out of all of them

I beg to differ. What type of real street nikkas gonna be hanging out with punk ass Trey? Trey going from dark skinned when he was a kid, to light skinned when he got grown is not realistic at all.

I'm what world is the baddest bytch in the neighborhood is gonna give the lamest nikka in the neighborhood some p*ssy cause he acted like a bytch and started crying? That's just not how life works.

Now Menace, on the other hand, was a modern day masterpiece. That shyt was real as hell. A rare inside glimpse into the life of inner city youths during the height of gangbanging in LA. Menace was very violent and some think it was over the top. But these were nikkas from the projects that was with the shyts in 90s LA. And one overlooked aspect of Menace is how the Hughes brothers pulled off giving you a view into that life WITHOUT use of or mentioning gangs even once! I'm sure they purposely left the gang aspect out. They could have easily used it as a crutch to help show project life in 90s LA. But they miraculously left gangs completely out the story and didn't miss a beat. I'm not sure why Citizen Kane is regarded as the best movie of all time when it should be Menance.

I could go so much more in depth in this shyt cause I'm a Menace 2 Societyologist but I just don't have the time to right now.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love all of them but I'm going with Boyz N The Hood.

Because you have a father role that actually care for his son

- You have a mother that had two sons but she shows more favoritism to Ricky but not Doughboy

- You have a c00n cop don't give a damn about black people

- Two boys (Ricky and Trey) tried to get out of the hood, make their life out of something while Doughboy is staying in the hood, beef with Blood gang member.

- Ricky is a teenager and already have a son

- Furious speaks about gentrification scene......real shyt and it's actually happened today

Boy N The Hood actually have all around film that spoke about the realistic shyt refer to the real world in the hood.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I beg to differ. What type of real street nikkas gonna be hanging out with punk ass Trey? Trey going from dark skinned when he was a kid, to light skinned when he got grown is not realistic at all.

What?:what:

BoyzNTHood_080Pyxutz.jpg

BoyzNTHood_133Pyxurz.jpg

And as far as "hanging out" with Trey, they did it right...perfectly even.

Doughboy and them originally knew Trey as the kid from across the street that collected comic books...so they would hang out with him because they could do regular kid shyt like play football, talk about comics, and scary movies and shyt.

But Dough and the rest of them grew away from Trey because they got more into street shyt and Trey got more into school. And that is why Ricky and Trey become best friends, while the other kids stop hanging around each other. Ricky's baby mama even mentions it during the BBQ scene when all of the women are talking about Trey. She says "He used to be best friends with Dough when they were little" which spells out that they aren't close like they were.

If you watch any of the scenes as adults, Trey never hangs out with Dough or the street cats like Monsta. He is always around Ricky. They just interact at times with Dough because Ricky is his brother, so being around the street cats at times is inevitable. You would have a point if Trey was playing spades with Dough, or participating with their fukkery, when it's the exact opposite.

Trey comes over for Ricky, and sometimes while he is waiting they'll offer him some liquor and he'll awkwardly decline it. Or he'll come over for the BBQ, and they'll make fun of his clothes for the five minutes that they talk before Trey goes on about his business. They aren't buddies, they are associates because of their childhood history, the proximity of their houses literally being right across the street, and the go between Ricky.

If Ricky was shown to be a street dude, then you would also have a point. But he's explicitly shown to not be into the street shyt.

"I thought you were scared of Compton?"

Plus all of the scenes of Dough hanging with his friends, and Ricky never being with them. Ricky is into sports and girls, so it makes sense that he and Trey would bond and grow close. They might be the only school boys on the block.

And Dough sees it, and he often makes fun of them for it, like when he's getting drunk on the porch watching Trey and Brandy kiss, and he's like "he still hasn't fukked her.":gucci:
And when Trey comes over for Ricky a few days later, he says "I saw you leaving Brandy house about 2, 3 in the morning:shaq:". All 3 houses are right next to each other, Dough and his boys are always sitting on the porch drinking and smoking late at night, so Dough always see's who is moving in the neighborhood and what they are doing, and brings it up to Trey because "So when you gon finally fukk that bytch":ehh: is basically the only thing they have to talk about.That's realistic as fukk.

Corny dudes exist in every hood. School boys exist in every hood. And often times the school boys used to be friends as children with the dudes that grew up to be street cats. But the divide as they get older doesn't mean the street cats hate the school boys. They still will see each other around, nod, ask about the moms, and keep it moving. And that is what Trey and Dough's relationship would be if Ricky wasn't around.

And even beyond that, what stops Trey from being seen as food by those cats is that Trey is friends with Ricky, they knew him as kids, AND they respect Trey's dad. That won't stop Trey from being harassed by other cats (like when the gun is pointed in his face while he is walking home), but he has the pass from the street dudes connected to Dough.

This difference between them is explored explicitly in the final few scenes of the movie, where Trey tries to hop in the car with the street dudes to do some street shyt, something that never happens in any other part of the film, but chickens out and gets let out. And Dough literally says the next morning "you shouldn't have been there in the first place." That is the major theme of the whole movie, Trey being on one path, being built differently than Dough and his boys. Again, realistic as fukk.

Last edited:

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What?:what:

BoyzNTHood_080Pyxutz.jpg

BoyzNTHood_133Pyxurz.jpg

And as far as "hanging out" with Trey, they did it right...perfectly even.

The Doughboy and them originally knew Trey as the kid from across the street that collected comic books...so they would hang out with him because they could do regular kid shyt like play football, talk about comics, and scary movies and shyt.

But Dough and the rest of them grew away from Trey because they got more into street shyt and Trey got more into school. And that is why Ricky and Trey become best friends, while the other kids stop hanging around each other. Ricky's baby mama even mentions it during the BBQ scene when all of the women are talking about Trey. She says "He used to be best friends with Dough when they were little" which spells out that they aren't close like they were.

If you watch any of the scenes as adults, Trey never hangs out with Dough or the street cats like Monsta. He is always around Ricky. They just interact at times with Dough because Ricky is his brother, so being around the street cats at times is inevitable. You would have a point if Trey was playing spades with Dough, or participating with their fukkery, when it's the exact opposite.

Trey comes over for Ricky, and sometimes while he is waiting they'll offer him some liquor and he'll awkwardly decline it. Or he'll come over for the BBQ, and they'll make fun of his clothes for the five minutes that they talk before Trey goes on about his business. They aren't buddies, they are associates because of their childhood history, the proximity of their houses literally being right across the street, and the go between Ricky.

If Ricky was shown to be a street dude, then you would also have a point. But he's explicitly shown to not be into the street shyt.

"I thought you were scared of Compton?"

Plus all of the scenes of Dough hanging with his friends, and Ricky never being with them. Ricky is into sports and girls, so it makes sense that he and Trey would bond and grow close. They might be the only school boys on the block.

And Dough sees it, and he often makes fun of them for it, like when he's getting drunk on the porch watching Trey and Brandy kiss, and he's like "he still hasn't fukked her.":gucci:
And when Trey comes over for Ricky a few weeks later, he says "I saw you leaving Brandy house about 2, 3 in the morning:shaq:". All 3 houses are right next to each other, Trey and his boys are always sitting on the porch drinking and smoking late at night, so Dough always see's who is moving in the neighborhood and what they are doing, and brings it up to Trey because that is about literally the only thing they can talk about. That's realistic as fukk.

Corny dudes exist in every hood. School boys exist in every hood. And often times the school boys used to be friends as children with the dudes that grew up to be street cats. But the divide as they get older doesn't mean the street cats hate the school boys. They still will see each other around, nod, ask about the moms, and keep it moving. And that is what Trey and Dough's relationship would be if Ricky wasn't around.

And even beyond that, what stops Trey from being seen as food by those cats is that Trey is friends with Ricky, they knew him as kids, AND they respect Trey's dad. That won't stop Trey from being harassed by other cats (like when the gun is pointed in his face while he is walking home), but he has the pass from the street dudes connected to Dough.

This difference between them is explored explicitly in the final few scenes of the movie, where Trey tries to hop in the car with the street dudes to do some street shyt, something that never happens in any other part of the film, but chickens out and gets let out. And Dough literally says the next morning "you shouldn't have been there in the first place." That is the major theme of the whole movie, Trey being on one path, being built differently than Dough and his boys. Again, realistic as fukk.

AMEN!

REPPED!

Hostile

All Star
Daps
Menace.

Juice doesn't even belong in the discussion.

New Jersey Drive >>> Juice

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
Boyz n the hood was part of a trilogy. Its is more derived as a chapter in the realm of John Singletons story telling through movies.

Juice is actually a coming of age movie, think sans "stand by me" in the hood.

Menace is a gritty look on the inner city dealings of urban youth trying to survive.

I personally look at these as individual perspectives of urban life compared to just being "hood" flicks.