"members: 1,319, guests: 15,652" - is it time to OPEN registration?

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Sorry for the :flabbynsick: question, but what is the purpose of bots in a forum like this?

Black or Bot? The Long, Sordid History of Co-opting Blackness Online​

Trolls and foreign agents love to exploit African-American culture for political gain.​

MORGAN JERKINSSEPTEMBER+OCTOBER 2022 ISSUE

Fight disinformation: Sign up for the free Mother Jones Daily newsletter and follow the news that matters.

In late February, just after Russia invaded Ukraine, my Twitter feed began filling up with videos showing Black exchange students being refused passage on trains fleeing the escalating conflict, while white students had no problem boarding. But not everyone was buying it. In a now-deleted tweet, Teen Vogue Editor-in-Chief Versha Sharma shared a Washington Post article reporting on the spread of disinformation, and added, “as videos go viral, a reminder about verifying sources before sharing—and a reminder that Russia disinfo ops have specifically targeted Black people in the past with fake accounts and media.”

“The videos and the ppl are real,” Q. Anthony Omene, creator of RZNWA Media, who had been amplifying the voices of those speaking out about anti-Black racism in Ukraine, shot back in response. Omene and others raising concerns were not part of a disinformation campaign, he asserted, but rather real people who had been in contact with African students who were struggling to escape. “People were accusing me of being a Russian bot,” he tells me, wondering whether his internationalist politics and identity as a communist played a role in why both white and Black users distrusted him. “I still get called to this day a Russian disinformation agent.”

“I still get called to this day a Russian disinformation agent.”
When Kimberly St. Julian-Varnon, a historian at the University of Pennsylvania who focuses on Black identity in the Soviet Union, delved into the conversation, she too came under fierce attacks. Media outlets were asking her for the provenance of one of the videos, so St. Julian-Varnon posed the question on Twitter: “do we have a source for this video?” The question triggered something she wasn’t quite expecting: “People came after me,” she recalls. “People were like, ‘You’re being racist,’ ‘You’re white,’ ‘You’re supporting white supremacy.'”

The bigotry that African students faced at the border was in fact real. But Sharma and St. Julian-Varnon’s suspicions weren’t unfounded: Bots, particularly those from Russia, have been known to pose as Black people on Twitter. Online, the existential question of who someone truly is becomes fertile ground for chaos agents to further ignite painful interracial tensions. This discord serves to perpetuate racism, which has always been founded on lies. As feminist researcher and blogger Sydette Harry says, “Racism is disinformation. Racism has been a form of this since almost every single iteration of mass communications, especially public [ones].”

This manipulation of Blackness for political gain was on full display during the 2016 election. According to a 2018 New York Times report, Russia’s Internet Research Agency (IRA), which fueled the country’s influence campaign and was owned by a close Putin ally, “created a dozen websites disguised as African American in origin, with names like blackmattersus.com, blacktivist.info, blacktolive.org and blacksoul.us.” A report by the Senate Intelligence Committee on Russia’s interference found that, on Facebook, more than 66 percent of the ira’s advertising content contained the word “race”; five of its top 10 Instagram accounts were focused on African Americans and issues pervading Black communities; its Twitter page was full of stories about race and racism, such as the NFL kneeling protests; and 96 percent of its YouTube content was devoted to “racial issues and police brutality.”

Yet the 2016 election wasn’t the first time Russians had targeted African Americans. This particular subset of the culture war has been brewing for years, tracing back to the knotted web of political agendas on both sides of the hemisphere.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

Senate Report: Russians Used Social Media Mostly To Target Race In 2016​

OCTOBER 8, 20192:50 PM ET
By
Tim Mak

The Russian government's interference in the 2016 U.S. elections singled out African Americans, a new Senate committee report concludes.

Using Facebook pages, Instagram content and Twitter posts, Russian information operatives working for the Internet Research Agency had an "overwhelming operational emphasis on race ... no single group of Americans was targeted ... more than African Americans."

That was evident throughout the IRA's Facebook content, the report said, citing the fact that over 66 percent of that content contained a term related to race.

And using ads with location targeting "principally aimed at African-Americans in key metropolitan areas," the Russian information operations focused on pages like Blacktivist, which garnered 11.2 million engagements with Facebook users.

The report, written by the Republican-led Senate Intelligence Committee, also said the Internet Research Agency, which worked "at the direction of the Kremlin," increased its activity after Election Day in 2016.

Following the 2016 election, "Instagram activity increased 238 percent, Facebook increased 59 percent, Twitter increased 52 percent, and YouTube citations went up by 84 percent," the report found.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
I don't need a Russian bot to tell me not to vote, on election day, I'll look at the sky and at my work schedule, that will decide it.

As to who vote for, democrat for president and governor, we'll see about the rest

Timbs

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Foh 2022 posters are fakkit retreads who were already banned.

No amount of new posters will change the booth. They dont bother posting in threads about artists who didnt debut in the 90s.
True, thecoli already has a mascot for fakkit retreads no need for more

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
Truth is, you the kind of poster who would stop folks from posting on here.
Yesterday I read @ThrobbingHood in an exchange that was shameful.

Yall act like straight up klan members and think it normal.
sad shyt
Truth is u one of the retreads i was talkin bout. You a 2022 poster but post like u been here for years. You clearly was banned on your og account:camby:

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Truth is u one of the retreads i was talkin bout. You a 2022 poster but post like u been here for years. You clearly was banned on your og account:camby:

Make a bet on it c*nt
@Ski Mask you can be added to the bet too c*ntress

I dare you puta
@Ski Mask I dare you putress

The truth is you slow and have little comprehension skills.
Yes you too @Ski Mask, I am calling you both stupid and fukkin retards.

I post like I been here for years because I have a super brain. What other reason bytch?

Shut the fukk up and stay in your slow lane

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps

Senate Report: Russians Used Social Media Mostly To Target Race In 2016​

OCTOBER 8, 20192:50 PM ET
By
Tim Mak

The Russian government's interference in the 2016 U.S. elections singled out African Americans, a new Senate committee report concludes.

Using Facebook pages, Instagram content and Twitter posts, Russian information operatives working for the Internet Research Agency had an "overwhelming operational emphasis on race ... no single group of Americans was targeted ... more than African Americans."

That was evident throughout the IRA's Facebook content, the report said, citing the fact that over 66 percent of that content contained a term related to race.

And using ads with location targeting "principally aimed at African-Americans in key metropolitan areas," the Russian information operations focused on pages like Blacktivist, which garnered 11.2 million engagements with Facebook users.

The report, written by the Republican-led Senate Intelligence Committee, also said the Internet Research Agency, which worked "at the direction of the Kremlin," increased its activity after Election Day in 2016.

Following the 2016 election, "Instagram activity increased 238 percent, Facebook increased 59 percent, Twitter increased 52 percent, and YouTube citations went up by 84 percent," the report found.
I get bots being used on social media sites, but why are we concluding that all these guests are bots in a forum that has a closed registration?

Kasper KArr

Go-getter from the Lower East Side
Daps
Make a bet on it c*nt
@Ski Mask you can be added to the bet too c*ntress

I dare you puta
@Ski Mask I dare you putress

The truth is you slow and have little comprehension skills.
Yes you too @Ski Mask, I am calling you both stupid and fukkin retards.

I post like I been here for years because I have a super brain. What other reason bytch?

Shut the fukk up and stay in your slow lane
Why don’t you bet me about Harvard?

You p*ssy :mjlol:

You tough in here you Hep C having meth head? Ban bet me p*ssy why you scared?

Out here spreading homo lies on me. I hope that next bump of coke you sniff is laced with fent!
He fukked me constantly saying he a og blood from brooklyn and I should die
:russ: fsggot

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/kasper-karr-wants-to-spread-aids-on-the-coli.1020340/post-51920796