Meltzer Gives Cody Rhodes vs. AJ Styles 5 Stars *****

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Looking at Dave’s ratings since 2017…

5.75 stars is the equivalent of a five-star match from 2016 and earlier.

Most years prior to 2017 you’d generally get anywhere from 0-5 five-star matches

2017 had four matches rated 5.75+
2018 had two
2019 had three
2020 had one
2021 had two
2022 had two
2023 has five
2024 thus far has three.

So basically subtract 3/4 of a star from anything from 2017-present if you want to compare it from anything predating 2017

Still has some stuff out of “whack” like when he gave Ospreay-Danielson a 6.5.

But if I could have given that more than a 10 on Cagematch I would have done that too because that was demonstrably better than nearly every other match I’ve rated a 10/10 on there.

Kind of like at the NBA Dunk Contest when some guy gets a perfect score and another guy comes behind him with an obviously better dunk. They both end up with the same score because they can’t give a better score than a perfect score.
Star Ratings gotta account for inflation too :mjlol:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Dragon/Ospreay is supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd greatest match of all time or something according to him and it’s already out of peoples minds
Yes and no. I think there's not a lot of discussion about the match but it's clear the wrestlers themselves loved it because it seems the "final standoff" spot Dragon and Ospreay did will sadly become a running trend for main event/important matches. It should've been kept special because it truly felt that way in that match, but alas.

Meltzer and WON's bubble have a trend of calling something the greatest *insert type of match* ever and then getting lost in all the other discourse around all the other dope matches that happen every month. The best example to me is the Buck vs Omega/Hangman match that they tried to convince anyone that could hear/read them that it was the GOAT tag match in the U.S. And to this day, no one really treats it that way except Dave :heh: