Meltzer: Cody Rhodes is doing bigger numbers than prime Cena

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
same.

Good for Cody but I believe any increase in interest is mostly due to The Rock's appearances and that brought alot of fans back, plus Vince leaving and the content getting edgier again(thanks to the Rock).
I love The Rock but absolutely not. He didn't jump back on until things were already hot again.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
At the end of the day, its gonna be an interesting argument.

1.- What's more impressive:

-Turn business around after 30 months of declining business for a company that couldn't find their next big star? In a context of a wrestling business that wasn't nearly as global as it is today, and that was still getting used to WWE being a monopoly. That's what Cena did from 05' to 07'.

-Become an instant draw and an undeniable white hot babyface after leaving the company as a midcarder that never meant a thing for business? And take the spot of the n°1 babyface like no one else could in the company for two decades. And not only that, be able to sustain that level of impact (in both business and crowd reaction) for more than 2 years in a wrestling promotion that had become an expert in destroying its own babyfaces momentum at any chance that got. That's what Cody's done since he went back in 2022.

2.- Who had more support?

-Cena had WWE's monopoly and its marketing machine going into overdrive to make him their next crossover superstar. Roster wise he had Batista's rise, that also helped business a lot when he got first title run, but that didn't last long. He had a ton of veterans that were big stars in wrestling's biggest boom (Attitude Era) but he didn't really work with them for like 2 years into his main event run. "WWE sells as a brand" started during Cena's run.

-Cody had The Bloodline storyline becoming the best and most succesful angle WWE had in 2 decades, which started to turn business around and starting up a mini boom. It was Cody who was instrumental to help that momentum turn in the legit boom we see today too. Roster wise he has an incredible pool of talented wrestlers, though none are "icons/legends" like Cena's roster. "WWE sells as a brand" had been establised for more than 15 years once Cody became a main event act.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
BTW, I tend to give the edge to Cena because his run was really fukking long and he managed to increase his impact with time. But more importantly, he was the catalyst of it all. The WWE machine took him, made a very succesful formula y profited from it. Even though the roster in his era had bigger names, they weren't really drawing by the time Cena took over, he didn't have a lot of help besides the first semester of Batista as champ.

While I think Cody's run is underrated in terms of the impact and how impressive it is that a babyface character like the one he has is able to draw as big as does in an era were it seemed impossible. I don't think he is able to have as big an impact without The Bloodline angle having a year+ of build before he arrived. Plus Vince leaving was HUGE for everything to work, with Vince in charge I have no doubt he would've ruined and tank Cody's ability to draw as a face.

Last edited:

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
the champ could be AJ, Drew Mac, Seth, Punk, the numbers would still be impressive. People care more because the product is better and Dwayne gave them that stimulus to start the year.

Crude

Superstar
Daps
What’s not to buy? The company during Cena’s time couldn’t touch what they’ve been doing since having Cody on top.
That’s more due to Triple H’s better booking, actually having a competent women’s division, compelling storylines (Bloodline, Gunther’s reign, the Rock’s return).

Cody is good but I don’t believe he’s drawing in casual fans like that.

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
He's the most effective pure babyface they've had since Bret Hart, in terms of how kids and adults like him on some superhero shyt. And business wise, he's the best since Rock.

That is a factor that goes in Cody’s favor.

Cena was/is more beloved than Cody, yes but there was also a large segment of that fanbase that despised Cena as well.

There was a belief, me included that Cody would end up getting booed because of just how wrestling is now so the fact that he’s been able to stay over and have 100% positive reactions every week is pretty remarkable in this day and age.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
BTW, I tend to give the edge to Cena because his run was really fukking long and he managed to increase his impact with time. But more importantly, he was the catalyst of it all. The WWE machine took him, made a very succesful formula y profited from it. Even though the roster in his era had bigger names, they weren't really drawing by the time Cena took over, he didn't have a lot of help besides the first semester of Batista as champ.

While I think Cody's run is underrated in terms of the impact and how impressive it is that a babyface character like the one he has is able to draw as big as does in an era were it seemed impossible. I don't think he is able to have as big an impact without The Bloodline angle having a year+ of build before he arrived. Plus Vince leaving was HUGE for everything to work, with Vince in charge I have no doubt he would've ruined and tank Cody's ability to draw as a face.
I’m much more impressed by everything Cody did outside of his time with WWE than what he’s done since coming back.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Yea, yes, I kayfabe stan the hell outta Roman Reigns. But, I find it weird that ppl forget how big Roman has been for this whole run.

• Dap
Reactions: 907