McDonald's makes a sample monthly budget to see how its employees survive on its pay

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
McDonald's recently teamed up with Visa to create a financial planning site for its low-pay workforce. Unfortunately, whoever wrote the thing seems to have been literally incapable of imagining of how a fast food employee could survive on a minimum wage income.

McDonald%27s_Can%27t_Figure_Out_How-f270f8d8f5a72cd12154e6f236dbadb9

As Jim Cook at Irregular Times notes, the $1,105 figure up top is roughly what the average McDonald's cashier earning $7.72 an hour would take home each month after payroll taxes, if they worked 40 hours a week. So this budget applies to someone just about working two full-time jobs at normal fast-food pay. (The federal minimum wage is just $7.25 an hour, by the way, but 19 states and DC set theirs higher).

A few of the other ridiculous conceits here: This hypothetical worker doesn't pay a heating bill. I guess some utilities are included in their $600 a month rent? (At the end of 2012, average rent in the U.S. was $1,048). Gas and groceries are bundled into $27 a day spending money. And this individual apparently has access to $20 a month healthcare. McDonald's, for its part, charges employees $12.58 a week for the company's most basic health plan. Well, that's if they've been with the company for a year. Otherwise, it's $14.

Now, it's possible that McDonald's and Visa meant this sample budget to reflect a two-person household. That would be a tad more realistic, after all. Unfortunately, the brochure doesn't give any indication that's the case. Nor does it change the fact that most of these expenses would apply to a single person.

Of course, minimum wage workers aren't really entirely on their own, especially if they have children. There are programs like food stamps, Medicaid, and the earned income tax credit to help them along. But that's sort of the point. When large companies make profits by paying their workers unlivable wages, we end up subsidizing their bottom lines.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...w-its-workers-survive-on-minimum-wage/277845/

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Are they assuming people who work in fast food 40 hrs a week, have a second job too?

People can't survive on any of that shyt, can't build a live for themselves, and can't build one for their children either...it's a fukking cruel and ugly cycle, and it's ripples cut through almost every problem in the country, from prisons to healthcare.

Truth, you can't really live on $10 an hour either, or 12, and beyond that...just barely, one sure as fukk can't save, invest, anything to get anywhere but through another week. It's really pretty disgusting and a poor reflection of our country, society, and people in general. It's like the greatest hustle in history played out by the wealthy elite, and everyone is just stuck in this shyt and they create, feed, encourage poverty and ignorance, and its just goes on and on.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Are they assuming people who work in fast food 40 hrs a week, have a second job too?

People can't survive on any of that shyt, can't build a live for themselves, and can't build one for their children either...it's a fukking cruel and ugly cycle, and it's ripples cut through almost every problem in the country, from prisons to healthcare.

Truth, you can't really live on $10 an hour either, or 12, and beyond that...just barely, one sure as fukk can't save, invest, anything to get anywhere but through another week. It's really pretty disgusting and a poor reflection of our country, society, and people in general. It's like the greatest hustle in history played out by the wealthy elite, and everyone is just stuck in this shyt and they create, feed, encourage poverty and ignorance, and its just goes on and on.

Thats kinda the point though...ain't it?

Who says they owe us anything?

151_Pr00f

All Star
Daps
Reppin
In the Clouds

Cosign.

It also irked me when I heard that Obama was campaigning to raise the minimum wage to 9 dollars. I'm still not impressed. If you want to restore the lower middle class' faith in our economy try raising wages across the board.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
There's always these people who come in these threads and suck off the system like the same system won't chew them up and spit them out. It will all catch up soon. The corporations already got their foot on the neck of the middle class. If you think this shyt will only effect people you consider menial you are in for a rude awakening.

HarlemUSA

Lightbringer and Azor Ahai
Supporter
Daps
:scusthov: @ them failing to see the need for a second job shouldn't be there.

Where them taxes taken out budget?

Pay them the 2k a month and then let them choose to have a second job.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
lol, so they really expect people to work 80 hours a week just to survive? Somehow they can't afford to pay their workforce because things are just too tough, but companies always find a way to give top management bonuses.

That budget is nonsense. $600 for rent? and only $20 for health insurance? Does Mcdonalds offer their employees health insurance? Did they even deduct taxes?

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
There's always these people who come in these threads and suck off the system like the same system won't spit them up and chew them out. It will all catch up soon. The corporations already got their foot on the neck of the middle class. If you think this shyt will only effect people you consider menial you are in for a rude awakening.

America is amazing with how quickly we forget things. People are already used to the post recession America and are back on a high horse like folks wasn't near ruin 3 years ago

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Thats kinda the point though...ain't it?

Who says they owe us anything?

To me, I don't have my fukking hand out, but I have compassion for people I see struggling to make it, barely, working minimum wage or close to it, and just knowing they can't do anything but strive and suffer until they die, it's a miserable life, and yet you see families laughing and loving each other and waking up to do it again, and it's inspirational and uplifting and I'm a deeply cynical, negative, sarcastic person and that shyt gets to me...

I'm not an econ major, but I'm pretty fukking sure Mcdonalds CEO's and board of directors are taking home millions, if not not hundreds of millions yearly, and their employees are living on welfare in the slums, and it's bullshyt and I hate it....and I can't do anything, but I'm not going to concede and turn on what I feel in hopes that mindset propels up the corporate chain.