Maybe the Entertainment Industry Needs a Hard Reset (SAG Strike, Music Checks etc)

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know we have a few entertainers on here somewhere, so I'm very open to someone crushing my argument with some logic and facts that are escaping me...

For instance, I am having a hard time feeling sorry for the film industry (writers, actors and production cast) during this strike.

Like, I know quite a few people who are struggling heavy, and I do feel REALLY bad for THAT, but in terms of the actual industry - IMO, it was a ticking time bomb.

I mean, for one, yes, you get no royalties because TV is dead. Period. It ain't coming back.

And then, most of the shyt on streaming channels is super hot garbage. I feel like no one is ever going to pay anyone a livable wage again to produce garbage content and BS movies on Netflix and Hulu that barely anyone watches with terrible writing and dumb ass non-thoughtful plots. Like there is so much content out these days, it's insane. How Tf is it a good idea to pay the background actors of some lame ass show in the desert of Netflix. That shyt just should not exist.

I will say the quiet part out loud - most actors and actresses I know don't do that shyt for the love of the art, they just don't got shyt else to do and want to be famous. Thus we have all this shyt out now, with 20 streaming channels and 100000 movies and shows. Its unsustainable.

And yes, Disney deserves to go under and lose everything they got. I mean, they have been sustaining off of superhero films and remakes of old ass cartoon movies. Where is the originality and thoughtfulness and idea making that made those original films amazing? How many Fast Furious Indiana Jones Jurassic Park Marvel Batman etc shyt that nobody is asking for must be made? Billion people on this Earth and no original ideas???

This industry needs to completely reset IMO, and most actors and actresses and writers need to be doing something else, because the art isn't working or connecting, and isn't good.

Same for music industry. I just saw someone post some Filipino breh singing "Never Would've Made It" and I was like damn, this MF was born to sing.

Artist complain about the music industry but a lot of rappers and singers and rapping and singing to be cool, not because they are actually talented in any way.

Why is Ice Spice worth anything outside of a club appearance or show? Why would I cut great deals for non-talented clout chasers?

I think all of this needs a hard reset, and we are in the dark ages of entertainment.

But - I could be wrong?? :francis:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Well, the “ideas” are still original for the movies, Hollywood just wants to have the same actors doing new things to hide behind very safe franchise brand names.

It does get tiring seeing an 87 year old Harrison Ford trying to do action movies though :beli:

Hov

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there were many original films this year
you just didn't go out to see them:manny:
I did see a lot. I’m a film snob. But how does that change the real world fact that there are 1000% more tv series & movies (which means astronomically more actors, actresses, production teams and writers) since there are 20 streaming platforms with libraries of content?

Who has taken account for the fact that it is no longer “if you invest in this movie or show, we have to remove something from network or from the theatre, so it better be good” to now you can just add it to the library of the 10 million other pieces of content that exist so it’s get lost in the shuffle or goes viral like Bird Box or Tiger King?

What I’m saying is, this model is either unsustainable or the film industry is going have to accept making McDonalds minimum wage.

I don’t see how there is an in between

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I did see a lot. I’m a film snob. But how does that change the real world fact that there are 1000% more tv series & movies (which means astronomically more actors, actresses, production teams and writers) since there are 20 streaming platforms with libraries of content?

Who has taken account for the fact that it is no longer “if you invest in this movie or show, we have to remove something from network or from the theatre, so it better be good” to now you can just add it to the library of the 10 million other pieces of content that exist so it’s get lost in the shuffle or goes viral like Bird Box or Tiger King?

What I’m saying is, this model is either unsustainable or the film industry is going have to accept making McDonalds minimum wage.

I don’t see how there is an in between
so you're saying you want the industry to create less content?
that's kind of what's happening already. A lot of companies are cutting costs on creating content and sort of going back to pre-streaming era strategies. they're removing a lot of stuff from the services now because of what you said. they're no longer sustainable to their profit-making goals and they don't want to pay whomever they have to pay to keep the shows on.
they've realized that for the most part, the streaming services can become money sinks and they're trying to make them profitable.
so I think by the end of the decade a lot of them won't exist anymore.

DatNkkaCutty

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
@ PA
Hollywood rarely takes chances anymore. Same ol franchises, and storylines, rehashed, remixed, and repackaged. Literally surviving off superheroes, or content created decades ago. :russ:

Who TF asked for Indiana Jones 15? Why is Fast & Furious 27 still getting greenlit (Paul Walker is turning over in his grave), SMH. Netflix, Hulu, etc full of hot garbo, and unwatchable content. Shyt definitely needs a reset. I loved goin to the movies (still do occasionally), but its far and in-between anymore. If you've seen one Transformers movie for example, you've seen ALL 30 of em. No sympathy for a lot of these millionaires, and stars who expect the average person, to relate to their plight.

Now that technology is on their head, they're seeking sympathy from fans and followers, they'd normally consider peasants. Let the shyt burn. I'll survive off reruns, old horror, and old hood/mob flicks like I've been doing for the last 20 years. :camby:

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
US entertainment already passed its peak. From now on, it will be a slow decline.

Take american music for instance: the driving force behind it was black music and behind it the black church. All of it is dead.

The 90's were the last era of greatness.
:yeshrug:

TQbrit

Banned
Daps
Its not just the entertainment industry, this whole shyt(the planet) needs a HARD rest, we need a revolution.

The greed of the 1% has reached a new disgusting high and this whole shyt needs to be burned down to the ground, a competent planet wouldve never allowed for what happened before, DURING and after the pandemic to take place, we all literally sat by and allowed the rich to dog walk us and be ok with it. There's no regulation with them, they have no rules