Massive layoffs at IGN

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Game journalism went the way of the newspaper as soon as YouTube came out. It’s been all downhill since.

Yup. That's the "downside" to social media: decentralization.

Take away the exclusivity of visibility, and why would a kid listen to some salary man's corporate opinion of a game when he can access those closer to his age, interests, demographic, culture, etc.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another gaming media site hit with massive layoffs, sheesh.

GotDAMN. Those Narz tweets are a tough read. She was pretty cool from what little I saw of her (I don't really fukk with IGN like that), and it's pretty sad to see someone's passion for something crushed out of them like that. To clap folks up right before what's supposed to be a big event is foul. Easily could've just waited until Monday.

Those McCaffrey tweets come across as lowkey sympathy farming, though.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I think she's been at it a few years
I'm not that invested in "personalities" but I caught one of her livestream and she saw this as her big break I think

This was definitely her big break. They gave her a show and put her on the Daily Fix (the show that pretty much created careers for IGN alumni like Sydnee Goodman/Alanah Pearce/Naomi/etc).

She was a hustler and heavy into networking and was at a lot of those black and brown gamers / girls in gaming conferences prior to this.

Here she is at some MS event w/ TBH and HHG.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dramatic for what?

Nikkas get fired everyday, b :stopitslime:
It's scary as fukk to be laid off out of the blue and suddenly without income for survival especially in expensive ass LA. Her being distraught is understandable.

Narz is cool people and a cutie. I'm confident she can find another job in the gaming or entertainment industry if she's willing to jump back out there.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Game journalism went the way of the newspaper as soon as YouTube came out. It’s been all downhill since.
yep, old school format, they are essentially a blog site in the era of influencers and personalities. When i think of IGN no face or person connected to them comes to mind. They need a host and a crew of contributors like New Rockstar's does.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's scary as fukk to be laid off out of the blue and suddenly without income for survival especially in expensive ass LA. Her being distraught is understandable.

Narz is cool people and a cutie. I'm confident she can find another job in the gaming or entertainment industry if she's willing to jump back out there.

Yeah, I imagine this hit her harder due to the extremely shytty timing, having moved out to LA, and how hard it is for non white personalities to catch on in gaming media.

yep, old school format, they are essentially a blog site in the era of influencers and personalities. When i think of IGN no face or person connected to them comes to mind. They need a host and a crew of contributors like New Rockstar's does.

It also doesn't help that a lot of these studios and publishers are increasingly figuring out that they don't need outlets like IGN as much as they used to. There's a reason there's been an increase of people who used to work in games media are just taking jobs with studios now.

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
It also doesn't help that a lot of these studios and publishers are increasingly figuring out that they don't need outlets like IGN as much as they used to. There's a reason there's been an increase of people who used to work in games media are just taking jobs with studios now.
Half the folks that used to work for EGM/1UP did exactly that more than a decade ago, that's when I knew it was over over. The fact that they lasted this long is wild to me.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I know dudes like Ryan and Destin have seniority and subsequently have job security in events like these, but you really see how stuck in their ways IGN is when they keep bozos like that around and then get rid of people like Narz. None of these guys have any personality to make their shows interesting, and arent good for anything but veiled console warring.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know dudes like Ryan and Destin have seniority and subsequently have job security in events like these, but you really see how stuck in their ways IGN is when they keep bozos like that around and then get rid of people like Narz. None of these guys have any personality to make their shows interesting, and arent good for anything but veiled console warring.

Bruh. What I don't understand is how someone like Ryan McCaffrey can have 20 years in the business, with over a decade (if not more, if I'm misremembering) of experience in front of the camera, and STILL be so bland and borderline awkward any time he's on camera. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.