Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5) NO OPEN SPOILERS

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Mark Cerny was a producer in this game.
"I don't think we were conscious that we were 'the first'," Intihar answers. "We knew from the beginning we were going to make Spider-Man 2 for PlayStation 5. And then it's about what the PlayStation 5 offers that we can take advantage of. We are very lucky to work with Mark Cerny [lead system architect on PS5]. Mark is one of the producers of the game. He is my mentor. I owe a lot to him in terms of who I am today professionally. Working with Mark helped us understand where the console is going. We knew about the SSD. And so that fantasy of players of 'I want to swing faster and faster and faster', we knew we could deliver that.

Boss Fights will be epic
But the biggest display of what the PS5 can bring was with a boss fight with the Lizard. The battle begins in the sewers, before bursting into the surface, then there's a chase through the city, across the water and then up a building… it's huge, epic, constantly changing, and almost seamless.

"We said it really early... we want to push our boss fights," Intihar says. "We want it that when you fight a villain, it's super memorable. It is about delivering that epic feel, and that became a lot more achievable with PlayStation 5."

Campaign length seems to be similar to Spider-Man 1.
"We don't ever say 'oh it's going to be this long'. What we try to do is set the vision. What is our goal? What are the pillars that support it? And then we start working on it and it organically works out.

"That being said, we knew it was going to be a bigger experience than Miles Morales. But it was about doing what was right for the story we wanted to tell. I would say it is very comparable to Spider-Man 1. It's not like we've doubled the size of the game. We want to do what is right for the vision, the time and attention you need to create that experience, and also take care of our team.

Shocker, WFH is a successful venture!
"When we left for COVID, everybody got sent home, and they asked me 'when do you want to come back?' I said 'the second we can be back in the office'. But today, I work completely remotely. What we learned is that it's about doing what is right for you. What makes Insomniac such a great place, and PlayStation supports us in this... is that in certain states you can work remotely and be super productive. A lot of this game was made during COVID."

Ray Tracing in all gameplay modes

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 | New Details

▪️Two modes: Visual and Performance (both with ray-tracing)
▪️Much more destructible interactivity with the environment
▪️Over 65 spider suits to choose from (comics, films, original designs)
▪️Some quests will be story specific to either Peter Parker or Miles Morales
▪️Map nearly double in size compared to first game with Queens + Brooklyn
▪️Points of interest represented by more immersive visual cues out in the open world that grab your attention
▪️Peter's mechanized Spider-Arms are available by default now (story reasons)
▪️"Web Grabber" ability fires webs in all directions and grabs enemies and anything else to pull them in for a powerful AOE attack (sewer drain cover for example launch into the group like a missile)
▪️Symbiote's L3+R3 "Symbiote Surge" is a savage grab-and-slam special attack
▪️Peter's symbiote Black Suit is hypersensitive to sound, felt through the DualSense
▪️On top of dodging, parrying attacks is now an option with L1
▪️The game is darker themed, but there is "tons of humor and funny remarks" throughout

I lost track of time and never got to experience the... Lizard boss fight.... I was too busy perfecting combat skills in the arena, gawking at the ray traced reflections on everything..., or stopping an assault-in-progress as it popped up on my mini-map."

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
So Harry is working with Peter when he has the symbiote. Thats a surprise.
Bosses have health bars now
Taking an enemy's weapons is a lot faster now. Looks like they got rid of the "swing around" animation
Kraven fights symbiote spidey
Lizard fight looks like it tears the entire city up
L1 + O triggers a "symbiote blast" special move
They added small mini-games to advance to the next part of a mission
Web slinging is fast and gliding slows down after a while. makes sense, physics-wise
More enemy types, and you have to fight a lot at the same time
Hopefully they can change the "spider sense" colors so there is no mixup between parrying and perfect dodge timing

Last edited:

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
URL unfurl="true" media="youtube:aVuUjQ7Jih4"]

OK Insomniac, I've had my fill
giphy.gif