Marvel’s Kevin Feige Has No Interest In Making R-Rated Superhero Movies

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
Deadpool-1200x520.jpg

Since the unexpected box office success of “Deadpool” – and the more predictable success of “Logan” – studio executives have spent the past few months openly wondering if they could slap an R-rating on any of their biggest properties. Back in March, a source at DC Films admitted that the studio would “100 percent” make an R-rated superhero movie if matched the characters. Simililarly, Warner Bros. Animation has possibly announced its plans to release an R-rated animated version of “The Watchmen” in the near future. For these studios, the combination of mature content and spandex equals dollar signs, and they’re quickly shifting to react to what they perceive as the new demands of the marketplace.

Not Kevin Feige. The Marvel head recently spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about the current trend towards darker superhero movies, and while he admired the creative vision of movies like “Deadpool” and “Logan,” he’s not exactly rushing an R-rated adaptation of, say, “Moon Knight” anytime soon. “My takeaway from both of those films is not the R rating, it’s the risk they took,” Feige explained in the interview. “The chances they took, the creative boundaries that they pushed. That should be the takeaway for everyone.”

Feige seems right on the money here. There’s a danger with any new trend in Hollywood – from CGI characters to profane superheroes to digital de-aging – to end up in a situation where the tail is effectively wagging the dog, forcing screenwriters and directors to throw in blood splatter and swear words just for the sake of having them. Sure, Marvel has a few characters that would benefitted from a more restrictive rating (see the aforementioned Knight, Moon), but building a cohesive cinematic universe is more important to the studio than chasing the latest Hollywood trend. And as Feige notes, fans really are responding more to the freshness of the content than the R-rated specifics. As long as fans feel that Marvel isn’t playing it safe with their properties – that they continue to be bold and take risks in service of their characters – I’m sure that Feige and company can live with the disappointment of a very focal few.

Marvel's Kevin Feige Has No Interest In Making R-Rated Superhero Movies

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Of course. If they bring blade back though I feel like he'd be right on Netflix which wouldn't be a bad idea because blades world begs for week to week storytelling

What's after the Defenders? Daredevil 3 and Punisher 1?

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
R for the sake of R is never a good thing. Logan was a character driven story about mutants forced into being weapons and trying to fight that programming. Logan met his end because of that experimentation :wow:There's no Marvel character that is currently being pushed that needs an R rating. Possibly a more mature story depending on who but violence without a purpose is just stupid. Even Deadpool knew the slapstick comedy wasn't necessary for certain scenes like when he was placed in that tank. I wouldn't mind a godbutcher storyline for Thor though
Untitled_zpsxd3a3vkk.png

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
R for the sake of R is never a good thing. Logan was a character driven story about mutants forced into being weapons and trying to fight that programming. Logan met his end because of that experimentation :wow:There's no Marvel character that is currently being pushed that needs an R rating. Possibly a more mature story depending on who but violence without a purpose is just stupid. Even Deadpool knew the slapstick comedy wasn't necessary for certain scenes like when he was placed in that tank. I wouldn't mind a godbutcher storyline for Thor though
Untitled_zpsxd3a3vkk.png

Spider man maximum carnage maybe but Kraven's Last Hunt definitely. And not because of the violence but just the subject matter. Last hunt is dark as hell and fukked up

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Yea I agree...... Incredible Hulk pummels folks but he don't outright savagely kills folks and having Banner say "fukk" a few times won't add nothing to the movie

Stay the course which is staying true to self will h those franchises.

Punisher is the only one that makes since but it's been tried and for some reason wasn't received well. Let's me know people are familiar with Marvel Knights and the Welcome Back Frank series

Martha

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yea I agree...... Incredible Hulk pummels folks but he don't outright savagely kills folks and having Banner say "fukk" a few times won't add nothing to the movie

Stay the course which is staying true to self will h those franchises.

Punisher is the only one that makes since but it's been tried and for some reason wasn't received well. Let's me know people are familiar with Marvel Knights and the Welcome Back Frank series

Martha

Wasn't received well because the studio(s) had no idea what to do with it and flubbed the marketing and pushed it out at the worst possible time for that movie and sold it wrong. War Zone is dope

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Wasn't received well because the studio(s) had no idea what to do with it and flubbed the marketing and pushed it out at the worst possible time for that movie and sold it wrong. War Zone is dope

I do feel that was a part of it but if you ever read some of the Marvel Knight Punisher stories.... they were pretty much like that movie.

A lot of shyt is over the top. I thought they hit the mark with that......

Martha