Man of Steel Steel (2013) Let’s settle this. Was it great or not?

How would you rate Superman?

• Great

Votes: 46 70.8%
  • Mid

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Bad

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
SpicyWillingBarnswallow-max-1mb.gif
I put great as my vote but this scene is where I can say mid. You mean superman couldn't do a convincing 50 yard dash to save his dad?

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
It was the middle of a twister. Pops said "no, they won't understand you, they aren't ready" and pops was right. Superman had to jump through hoops to gain their trust.
My :flabbynsick: self could've got to my dad in that time.

He had time to stop, watch his dad tell him not to come and watch him die. That's at least 20 seconds. More than enough time.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
My :flabbynsick: self could've got to my dad in that time.

He had time to stop, watch his dad tell him not to come and watch him die. That's at least 20 seconds. More than enough time.

In a twister? Where people are clinging to things so not to be swept away in it? I think you're nitpicking and if we are going to nitpick then we can find A LOT of shyt in every comic book movie.

Daps
All opinions are valid but I disagree that Superman needs to be edgy and morally grey to be a compelling character.

i don't think he has to be morally grey either, but i think the days of the "all-american" superman are behind us

even steve rogers (cap america) subverted a lot of the nationalism/patriotism propaganda thats embedded in the character, and its only until those stories were told that he became a more likeable and relatable character imo

i think the superman animated series into JL/JLU was the best and most balanced depiction of superman imo - he wasn't as dark as batman, still an optimistic guy, but can get stern if he needs to be, and isn't a puppet of the government just because he wants to play nice (on some dark knight returns shyt) ... the scene where he explained to darkseid that he's been holding back is always how i saw the character:

i think his stories can be very compelling if written well, the idea of absolute power not corrupting him is part of the tenants of why he is supposed to be the blueprint for superheroes ... but i think you can humanize him by actually delving into how he manages those ideals in contrast to the shyt he sees in the world

there's a healthy medium between naive, happy go lucky superman vs dark emo superman ... JL/JLU captured that imo, he never felt like someone who was only beholden to US interests, but he also wasn't some gritty guy - he has moments of brooding/introspection but he always puts on for the people, yet he isn't naive enough to trust lex, details like that

i still think if DC just replicated the superman/batman animated series into live action it would address so many of their issues in terms of character building

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
The OG Superman movie is one of my favorite movies of all-time, and still head and shoulders above any other comic book movie to me...

...this movie comes pretty close, I loved it. Top 5 comic book flick.