Man of Steel Steel (2013) Let’s settle this. Was it great or not?

How would you rate Superman?

• Great

Votes: 46 70.8%
  • Mid

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Bad

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I have seen people starting to rate this film very highly now, but when it first came out the consensus was it was mid but maybe something to build off of.

I rewatched this and the editing and plot for the first hour or so is all over the place. Action was top notch and probably the best representation of super powered beings fighting. However Superman letting thousands of people die, even smugly jumping over a gas tanker as it smashes into a building - nah I can’t rock with that. We go from Krypton to an already adult Superman interspersed with small flashbacks of a young Clark Kent but gives us very little characterization. Lois Lane shows up out of nowhere and we go from hobo Superman to blue suit in very few scenes. Overall the color palette is more like a horror film than a superhero film. I guarantee no little kid wanted to be Superman in 2013. He spends the entire film being scary and imposing to those around him.

It’s a mid movie made worse by poor characterization of Superman that could’ve been good with some slight tweaks and a less dour script. So outside of the action cinematography being goat what am I missing here coli brehs?

Last edited:

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
The flying and fighting saves it from being bad, but just barely

Daps
its the best superman movie to me so far, flaws and all

i get why people would prefer the happy go lucky, american boy scout kansas boy superman more

but i always thought it would make more sense for an alien orphan/refugee to feel isolated/alienated on earth, at least in the beginning before he cultivates his optimism ... him letting so much collateral damage happen was OD tho lol

jon kent's portrayal and his relationship with clark in this wasnt good at all imo

but the themes, fight scenes, etc was all dope in this

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
Easily one of the best superman movies. And one of the better superhero movies.

The problem as others have mentioned though is that Superman is inherently boring so to make him interesting interpersonal and internal conflict is needed and a number of critics hate for Superman to be anything other than a bland boy scout with minimal conflict but in the real world he'd be conflicted regarding whether or not the human race is even worth helping? Since at least 50% of the population would absolutely hate him.

Also why bother trying to be a savior if it doesn't seem to change things?

Last edited:

JamesJabdi

Superstar
Daps
SpicyWillingBarnswallow-max-1mb.gif