Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I’ve been hella busy filming this weekend so I haven’t had time to properly tap into the album and digest like I would with a Lupe album. I listened in full at midnight Friday, gave it a half whip test Saturday and did another full listen about an hour ago.

I may be off base but I feel the lo-fi jazzy production is meant to be a direct musical counter programming to traditional Drill Music and the destructive tendencies that those vibrations seem to incite.

The lyricism is of course top notch. Ms Mural is fukking BEAUTIFUL.

Its definitely not his “Illmatic” but its an excellent project and probably his most “accessible” since Food & Liquor 2. Right now this is my runner up for album of the year just behind Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers

Daps
Reppin
NULL
“Cross my heart and I hope to (die/live), cross my arm when I Osu
Add a little dollop of the Dali, then sell it all out at the O2”
xE7KRBI.jpg

Salvador Dali’s most famous painting is The Persistence of Memory, which can be applied to this album in a variety of ways, at least a quintuple entendre in there. But he still knows the simplicity of changing or removing a word is gonna cut the deepest. Seattle’s 3rd verse might be my fave flow to rap along to, so much so, it took me a while to really grasp the pain of that first bar. I know Trouble just died a few weeks ago, though I don’t really wanna think about how many people he’s lost between the time he laid these vocals and the release date.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ms. Mural might be top 5 Lu songs all time :lupe:
Ms.Mural is one of the best rap songs I've ever heard.

Lupe didn’t waste a bar the entire album but this song is not only written with so many layers with artistic expression but he technically went off

The complaints about the production is lazy to me. This beat is beautiful and gives Lu the space needs to really tell the story

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Lupe didn’t waste a bar the entire album but this song is not only written with so many layers with artistic expression but he technically went off

The complaints about the production is lazy to me. This best is beautiful and gives Lu the space needs to really tell the story

Nobody is going to agree with me but Ms > original > Jr.

I like Ms best because it's a more focused song

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nobody is going to agree with me but Ms > original > Jr.

I like Ms best because it's a more focused song

I understand it and won’t fault anyone for it. Ms. mural is an amazing layered song especially if you get the entire concept of it. While Mural is the pinnacle of lyricism.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Speaking of The Cool callbacks, the ending of Ms. Mural sounds like Streets On Fire, especially with the closing bridge:
“We have hearts of stone
And scars for bones
When your heart’s unknown
In the Arc of Joan”

“I’ve made them heartless and in return, they have become my martyrs”
“My femme fatale, my darling fraudulent angel”
“I ask my baby if she love me, she said she don’t know
She said The Game’s got her heart, The Streets have got her soul
I said, wow”

There’s clearly a few ways to interpret the song, but this one blew my mind lol.