Looks like this is the last gen for physical game media

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It was a hell of a run.

Wouldn’t even be surprised if there were pro or slim models that didn’t have disc readers at all. I think by next gen they will sell them as external attachments until they phase them out altogether.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Oh now it's all coming together for people.

Hardware is only a means to get consumers as an install base and create brands.

As far back as the ps2, systems have made little to no profit for companies.

Things have been trending digital and service base for years. The success of Xbox live then psn should have clued y'all in on that, follow that by music and then movies and TVs shows....yeah it's pretty clear.

I mean when was the last time you bought physical media like a DVD that didn't involve gaming? If not for gaming I think DVD and blue ray would be even more obscure.

Microsoft not worried about having the #1 selling console. If people without a system are going to purchase gamepass and play on the PC (which is 9 times out of 10, a windows machine anyway) that's a huge W

And gaming is at a spot where there are just TOO many games out for people to realistically all play or buy or even know about. Gamepass allows alot of smaller developed games to get play. For instance I wasn't gonna buy a plague tale probably ever, but it's on GP right now and I'm looking forward to playing it.

Truthfully I look forward to the so y version of gamepass that they pretty much have to drop or push at some point in the future. I doubt they'll do day and date 1st party games... But some of the other smaller games that are ps/pc exclusives that I'll never buy? Yeah I'll sub to that.

Daps
I only have a physical copy of Miles on PS5 since it came with the console as a bundle, and I’ve been otherwise digital. The big question I have is with presumably no physical option (disc drive) moving forward where does that leave anyone with PS4/PS5 physical games in the future? because it doesn’t sound promising. Truthfully, I have all my old consoles going back to NES so it wouldn’t be the worst thing to hold on to a 5 for my physical PS4 games, but I would prefer to retire it when the inevitable 6 comes out

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I only have a physical copy of Miles on PS5 since it came with the console as a bundle, and I’ve been otherwise digital. The big question I have is with presumably no physical option (disc drive) moving forward where does that leave anyone with PS4/PS5 physical games in the future? because it doesn’t sound promising. Truthfully, I have all my old consoles going back to NES so it wouldn’t be the worst thing to hold on to a 5 for my physical PS4 games, but I would prefer to retire it when the inevitable 6 comes out
\something like this probably

Jcotton1

All Star
Bushed
Daps
As it should such an old format that is not needed anymore plus with suBscription services you don’t need a trade in market

Not needed stop it. What if they take my favorite game out of rotation in the subscription service. What if I like obscure games ie Street of Range among others from like the Sega Genesis collection? I'm in that context a small demographic. Keep physical media

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps
Thats sad. I have a switch and over half of my collection is physical. I will say, digital is more convenient, but theres something about opening up a game case and building up a physical collection, over time, that really still does it for me. Oh well.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
Not needed stop it. What if they take my favorite game out of rotation in the subscription service. What if I like obscure games ie Street of Range among others from like the Sega Genesis collection? I'm in that context a small demographic. Keep physical media

‘breh cost too much money and is outdated. Look at PC gaming and app stores. That shyt a rap