Looking back did Jay Z's hard knock life Volume 2 deserve 4.5 mics?

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
It is, specifically because it was the album where Jay went from underground to mainstream, I have had this argument a couple of times but prior to this album Jay was a local east coast jersey/nyc giant and maybe known else where by die hard rap fans. After this jay ain't looked back I remember this being the first album I heard EVERYWHERE
You wrong though. Close but this was the first album after Jay had become a mainstream star. After Money Ain't A Thing and Can I Get A, Jay was already certified as a star and had a lot more eyes on him. That's why it became is first album to debut number 1.

As far as the album I still love it. Paper Chase is really the only skip for me. It's blowing my mind that so many ain't fukking with It's Alright. Jay bodied that last verse and Bleek was solid as fukk on there to and that beat goes hard. I'm totally cool with a 4.5, with it being a 4 at minimum. This album started the dumbing down but a dumbed down Jay was still better than damn near any other rapper out.

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
I like it more today than i used to. I aint mad saying its 4.5.id say 4.25 myself. Big hits, good album tracks. Loved ride or die and the other album tracks. Grade a raps. Its a great album one of his best imo.

I actually think its underrated if anything. As a kid it was too commercial for my tastes in 98. Today its stands out because game changed and it still has a dope MC feel to it despite the commercial vibes so i appreciate it now a lot.

Its one of my fav jay albums probably. RD, this, bp, tba, vol 1 are his best imo and this may be the best full package of all.

Prime lyrical/commercial jay.

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
I think it deserved the 4.5. It’s a personal 5/5.

I don’t normally like when rappers dumb down or simplify what they can bring, Jay made it fun and he was still rapping better than 90% of the artist out at the time. I wouldn’t even really call it dumbing down. He basically reduced the density of his flow.

It flowed very well. Even though some of the beats and concepts have aged a little bit, it’s still fun to crank up the volume and play that shyt front to back. The only song I dislike is “paper chase”.

Like someone mentioned above it played like “Life After Death” or “All Eyez on Me”, in the way it was able to package some many facets of the artist, while making the product fun and accessible to any and everybody. I had heard Jay-z songs and cassettes before, but THIS is the album that made me really pay attention to Roc-A-Fella and seek out other things from the label.

I don’t know the man but this is probably the most fun he’s ever had making a project, you can hear it in his voice

Last edited:

EastsideRio

You Can’t Stop The Rain ☔️
Daps
Reppin
DETROIT (Do Every Thing Right Or It's Trouble)
People will be like how did it get 4.5 mics and RD get 4 when RD was better?

I look at it like this. In 1996, RD wadn't really different. It didn't stand out. Yes, over time, it is accepted as classic, but here's the deal:

Vol. 2 was different it at least several of the songs were. Nothing sounded like "Hard Knock Life". By 1998, the Timbaland sound was everywhere, but "nikka What, nikka Who" was still alien. Swizz's sound was still new, so hearing "Money, Cash, Hoes" was an experience too and DMX being featured added to the hype.

There was the snowball effect of that culminated into this album from Streets Is Watching to "Money Ain't A Thang" to "Can I Get A..." (which was another song that sounded different from everything else).

There was the album cuts with "A Week Ago" featuring Too Short, "Resevoir Dogs" with The Lox", "Ride Or Die", the intro. I even like "Paper Chaser", but it feels like a Foxy Brown song featuring Jay and not the other way around.

Fabolous and Jada have attempted their own versions of this album.
Jadakiss never did no such thing and Fabolous’ albums always lacked top tier production

Braman

Superstar
Daps
4.5 but I'd have no issue with someone giving it a 5. Reminds me of LAD in terms of an amazing mixture of radio tracks, street records, and some shyt for "real rap" nerds.

btw...It's Alright is trash
only skip for me is Its Alright so yeah...4.5, 4 at the very least

Disgusting swagless takes :hhh::scust:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jadakiss never did no such thing and Fabolous’ albums always lacked top tier production

Jadakiss's debut was loaded with the same format. It had super producers all over the album. It had all these attempts at radio. There were songs that pandered to every region. Fabolous's albums were pretty much the same. Fabolous's albums all had production from Timbaland, The Neptunes, Just Blaze, Kanye West, Jermaine Dupri, Irv Gotti, Swizz Beatz.