Loan repayment advice for $100k+ student loans

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
300K in debt?!??
b-GPTx-Lislwm3u.gif

A Gen Xer with a 6-figure salary and over $315,000 in debt can't afford a home: 'This country has failed us'​

Shirin Tajani, 46, went back to school in 2011 to get her nursing degree, and she's been practicing in the field ever since.

But despite having multiple degrees, achieving homeownership is out of reach due to the over $315,000 in debt she carries from her student loans and credit card.

Tajani moved from Pakistan to the US when she was 10 years old, and her parents wanted her to have the opportunity to benefit from the higher education system in the US. She received a bachelor's degree in business in 2002 and worked in a corporate job, but after being laid off in 2009, she decided she wanted to become a nurse.

That's where most of her student loans came from, and while she's now earning a six-figure salary, according to documents reviewed by BI, it's not enough to pay off the balance alongside other expenses like rent. She's even picked up a second job outside her full-time nursing career to help make ends meet, meaning that she now works six days a week.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
300K in debt?!??
b-GPTx-Lislwm3u.gif

A Gen Xer with a 6-figure salary and over $315,000 in debt can't afford a home: 'This country has failed us'​

Shirin Tajani, 46, went back to school in 2011 to get her nursing degree, and she's been practicing in the field ever since.

But despite having multiple degrees, achieving homeownership is out of reach due to the over $315,000 in debt she carries from her student loans and credit card.

Tajani moved from Pakistan to the US when she was 10 years old, and her parents wanted her to have the opportunity to benefit from the higher education system in the US. She received a bachelor's degree in business in 2002 and worked in a corporate job, but after being laid off in 2009, she decided she wanted to become a nurse.

That's where most of her student loans came from, and while she's now earning a six-figure salary, according to documents reviewed by BI, it's not enough to pay off the balance alongside other expenses like rent. She's even picked up a second job outside her full-time nursing career to help make ends meet, meaning that she now works six days a week.
people make dumb ass choices and put themselves in debt. 300k in student loans as a nurse? :what:

I got my BSN at a university and paid 5k out of pocket. Hell, other nurses i know went through private nursing schools and end up with 80k in debt. but 300k? that's just flat out being irresponsible.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
people make dumb ass choices and put themselves in debt. 300k in student loans as a nurse? :what:

I got my BSN at a university and paid 5k out of pocket. Hell, other nurses i know went through private nursing schools and end up with 80k in debt. but 300k? that's just flat out being irresponsible.
I think she never paid off the student loans from her first degree. I know a gang of people mostly women. Who keep going back to school and getting more degrees. Yet those majors don't pay squat.

I think everyone is banking on loan forgiveness which will never really pass.