LL on Club Shay Shay

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even the fact that Fif wrote the hook is somewhat interesting since around that time he was in limbo and not the super succesful rapper he soon became.

To be honest i dont know what to believe these days anymore but LL is among goats regardless of anything

Hooks don't count when it comes rappers and writing. The verses need to be yours but anyone can write the hook.

Krs2

Pro
Daps
He put the beastie boys ahead of them nikkas lol that's should be the title

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
this is what happens when mfers don't know shyt about shyt asking questions. I think the def jam mt rushmore without a doubt are LL, Eric Sermon, Jay, and PE. You can even make an argument for Kanye, DMX, or Redman pertaining to the body of work they've done with the label and classic albums released.

Nas and Rihanna should not even be mentioned. DMX helped carry def jam in the late 90s with Jay Z, Eric Sermon(Def Squad album, his solo joints, and production on albums. The reason I didn't put EPMD as a whole is because after EPMD broke up following Business Never Personal, PMD released some decent lackluster albums while Erick Sermon only got better and gave us classics/hot albums from Redman on the production side. Then he gave us the Def Squad album and production on many others. For the record, Strictly Business and Reasonable Doubt are not Def Jam albums btw.

This is all true.

Nas is the undisputed GOAT but he wasn’t on Def Jam long enough to be put on the label’s Mount Rushmore ahead of Beastie Boys and Jay and DMX. He made a big splash in 06 and had some classic MOMENTS like Black Republican with Jay-Z and a classic album in Life Is Good but thats not enough to leapfrog X or Jay’s tenure and certainly not LL’s.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
He put the beastie boys ahead of them nikkas lol that's should be the title
the beastie boys had ONE album on Def Jam. LL tripping with that one. After License to Ill, Russ tried to rob him, as he did with all the artists including LL, and they bounced to Capital. Jay Z, including the likes of Ja Rule, definitely has a better discography than the Beastie Boys at the label. And yes I know License to Ill eventually went diamond.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
this is what happens when mfers don't know shyt about shyt asking questions. I think the def jam mt rushmore without a doubt are LL, Eric Sermon, Jay, and PE. You can even make an argument for Kanye, DMX, or Redman pertaining to the body of work they've done with the label and classic albums released.

Nas and Rihanna should not even be mentioned. DMX helped carry def jam in the late 90s with Jay Z, Eric Sermon(Def Squad album, his solo joints, and production on albums. The reason I didn't put EPMD as a whole is because after EPMD broke up following Business Never Personal, PMD released some decent lackluster albums while Erick Sermon only got better and gave us classics/hot albums from Redman on the production side. Then he gave us the Def Squad album and production on many others. For the record, Strictly Business and Reasonable Doubt are not Def Jam albums btw.
Im a huge Erick fan.. huge fan, but I cant put him on a Def Jam Mt Rushmore. You could go the production route, but I wouldnt even say he was more important than Rick Rubin or the Bomb Squad. So that kind of eliminates him.

I get where LL wanted to go by starting with the guys who built Def Jam.

For me the most fair is LL, Jay, Kanye and PE

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
the beastie boys had ONE album on Def Jam. LL tripping with that one. After License to Ill, Russ tried to rob him, as he did with all the artists including LL, and they bounced to Capital. Jay Z, including the likes of Ja Rule, definitely has a better discography than the Beastie Boys at the label. And yes I know License to Ill eventually went diamond.
yeah, but LL will say and probably Russell and Rick.

License to Ill made Def Jam a force in the industry. And Im sure he is taking that to account.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Im a huge Erick fan.. huge fan, but I cant put him on a Def Jam Mt Rushmore. You could go the production route, but I wouldnt even say he was more important than Rick Rubin or the Bomb Squad. So that kind of eliminates him.

I get where LL wanted to go by starting with the guys who built Def Jam.

For me the most fair is LL, Jay, Kanye and PE
Here is a list of Eric Sermon rap AND production albums on def jam since he signed to them

Here are the Def Jam albums he's produced entirely or a majority of and rapped on

Unfinished Business
Business as Usual
Business Never Personal

Back in Business
Out of Business
No Pressure
Double or Nothing
El Nino

here is a list of albums he's produced entirely or carried a majority of while not rapping mostly on them

Whut
Muddy Waters

Doc's the name
Malpractice

Sermon has carried the production(and I'm not talking about 1 or 2 beats) and rapped exclusively on 12 Def Jam releases. At least half of those are classic albums (bolded) and you could probably say the def squad album was classic too I know saying the name "Erick Sermon" doesn't sound like a good thing, but once you actually look at his discography and stats that he did for Def Jam ALONE, it's amazing isn't it? Every album I listed was on Def Jam. PE is my favorite group of all time, but even the Bomb Squad don't have a Def Jam production discography of albums like Eric Sermon in terms of classic releases. They got Slick Rick's debut (in which they did 33% of the album) and the first 3 public enemy albums. As E said, they are the "5th group Russel signed to Def Jam". He was there from damn near the beginning starting with EPMD's 2nd album on through El Nino.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
This is all true.

Nas is the undisputed GOAT but he wasn’t on Def Jam long enough to be put on the label’s Mount Rushmore ahead of Beastie Boys and Jay and DMX. He made a big splash in 06 and had some classic MOMENTS like Black Republican with Jay-Z and a classic album in Life Is Good but thats not enough to leapfrog X or Jay’s tenure and certainly not LL’s.
lol

THE 101

House Painter
Daps

Licence to Ill was more important for Def Jam album than any Jay album.

Def Jam's pinnacle was the 80s so it's completely acceptable to just name golden age artists.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Licence to Ill was more important for Def Jam album than any Jay album.

Def Jam's pinnacle was the 80s so it's completely acceptable to just name golden age artists.
not necessarily. And I'm not speaking as a "jay z groupie" before anyone even attempts to go that route. License to Ill is an important album as it was one of the earliest Def Jam releases ever ,but Def Jam has a history of going through some rough periods. They were in a bad spot during the early 90s after Onxy went platinum and Death Row along with the West Coast started to take over. East Coast hip hop was still selling (as I mentioned Onyx had a platinum album). They hit a rough patch and then boom, Warren G goes multi platinum in 94'. This was around the time Russ had sold half the shares to Polygram. Had a few gold releases and LL was going platinum in 95, Foxy in 96 and then gold every now and then with a few platinum, then in 98 Jay Z, Meth, DMX, and Redman not only saved Def Jam again with multiplatinum albums, but a big tour to help promote the albums. So even though I'm not too fond of the Hard Knock Life album, it was very instrumental in putting Def Jam back on the map in 1998 along with It's dark and Hell is hot. And I don't think Hard Knock life is better than License to Ill either, but it's definitely important to the history of Def Jam and its resurgence.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Even the fact that Fif wrote the hook is somewhat interesting since around that time he was in limbo and not the super succesful rapper he soon became.

To be honest i dont know what to believe these days anymore but LL is among goats regardless of anything

50 is a credited writer on the song so it's not like it was kept secret.

I talked about this a few times before on here before but every commercially successful rapper has had hooks written for them.

The obvious examples of course is ones with a singer on the hook. But many others too. A lot of producers especially top end ones will bring tracks with pre-written hooks to the table. So the rapper just lay the verses and repeat the hook or if the hook writer is getting a push they might get to perform it. Nore even mentioned this back in the day on Nahmeanyaheard "I like a Swizz Beat, that shyt already come with a hook."

Paradise was a Trackmasters beat and 50 was signed to them and he specialized in hooks so it would make sense they would have him write hooks for their beats, it let him eat and let them sell the beat for more money if it's a good chorus.