'LIVE BY NIGHT'. Written, Directed and Starring Ben Affleck

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This movie is almost a completely missed opportunity, aside from a few moments of Affleck's directing, (the water scenes were gorgeous) and some great (if underused) supporting performances, Gleeson, Cooper, Fanning....

The characters seem to speak and act exclusively in cliches, that, coupled with the perfect linen suit Affleck wears at almost all times, and the hilariously bad noir style voice over have the whole movie veering extremely close to parody. It goes over the top in a few instances. The last scene for instance, or the execution at the cigar factory, or the big meet at the construction site. Or the mob meeting and subsequent shootout in the final act, complete with a Scooby Doo style explanation for their ability to turn the tables. Was that Michael Madsen chewing the scenery as 'Digga'? When the Italian Mob guy went 'Thief' on Affleck, it was laughable. Joe Coughlin, a character comprised almost entirely of cliches, is the most boring and near lifeless gangster in a movie that cost over 50 million, and based on a Dennis Lehane novel. He gets a few moments, but for the most part, a very flat, performance. As dead as the maybe 50 bodies that are dispatched in the most poorly staged shootouts I have seen in a theater in awhile. The source material may be better, or may be to blame. I can't see how that many cliches make for an interesting book, but I doubt I'll find out anytime soon.

edit: that was Benny from the Sopranos looking 55 years old :deadmanny:

Last edited:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Movie had so much potential but was just the classic doing to much...

Tried to be a love story...

Tried to be ANOTHER love story on top of the original story...

Tried to be a gangster movie...

They even sprinkled in some "free state of jones" type of shyt in the movie...

Everything in the movie is rushed...

Great set up for Ben vs the Klan...then it just sort of rushes to "we beat the Klan"

Great set up to him vs the old Irish mobster dude...and then it ends in the most :mjlol: way possible...

Great set up for him vs the Italian mob and then he just somehow outsmarts the guy and it's all over in what...10 minutes...

Fannings character was annoying and stupid...

Shame cause Cooper gave a best supporting actor effort in this...the scene with him and Ben with the pictures is :picard:...and even it was derailed by the ending...

And my gawd the ending...just fukking terrible...

If he can't get this simple shyt right then I don't know how he is going to get Batman right...

Bonus points though for making a "only the white guy from Boston can save all the racially ambiguous people" and then...not really saving anybody...

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Movie had so much potential but was just the classic doing to much...

Tried to be a love story...

Tried to be ANOTHER love story on top of the original story...

Tried to be a gangster movie...

They even sprinkled in some "free state of jones" type of shyt in the movie...

Everything in the movie is rushed...

Great set up for Ben vs the Klan...then it just sort of rushes to "we beat the Klan"

Great set up to him vs the old Irish mobster dude...and then it ends in the most :mjlol: way possible...

Great set up for him vs the Italian mob and then he just somehow outsmarts the guy and it's all over in what...10 minutes...

Fannings character was annoying and stupid...

Shame cause Cooper gave a best supporting actor effort in this...the scene with him and Ben with the pictures is :picard:...and even it was derailed by the ending...

And my gawd the ending...just fukking terrible...

If he can't get this simple shyt right then I don't know how he is going to get Batman right...

Bonus points though for making a "only the white guy from Boston can save all the racially ambiguous people" and then...not really saving anybody...

They tried to cram too much into the movie, and it ended up hurting the overall story. From beginning to end it felt like three or four different movies taking place. There wasn't any cohesion whatsoever to the story. It could have been a really good movie, but the execution was just terrible.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Finally watched this.

I thought it was solid,but nothing great.

Like others have said there is a great film in here. It's actually frustrating.

Ben's direction is superb,the man has real talent behind the camera.

But there's just too much going. It's trying to be a sprawling epic but it just comes off muddled with too many plots going on. It wanted to be too many things at once.

The highs are incredible,and I can't say there's any lows but too many times the film is kind of dull.

This film needed a rewrite. And dare I say,maybe Ben was too ambitious and needed an outside voice because he was "too close" to the material and couldn't see the faults in his baby.

6/10

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
i could see how people would not like it. it was just okay with me, some novels, especially Florida novels, should not make it to print and actually just work well as books. The second act gets real preachy and you know white folks hate that.

I give it a matinee

BelieveBeOK

Superstar
Daps
I thought the movie was decent. A lot of events were packed into the two hours but it all made sense and the film's flow felt seamless, all things given.

There could be an argument, as some have said, that too much was happening.

Seeing Miguel on screen kind of took me out of it though and I felt that the plot was tied up a bit too conviniently. The final scene felt a lot like the ending of The Town and whilst you may argue it was a bit contrived, I felt it when his wife died :wow:.

6.5/10 for me.