Let's Talk Retro: Battle Arena Toshinden series

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
If that's the case then Dark Edge is the first 3D fighting game.

Dark Edge is a reach. It has 8 way movement but it's not a True 3D fighting game either. Put it like this. Toshinden is the first fully polygonic fighting game that did what others tried to do before it the right way. Toshinden gave these other companies the right formula.

Last edited:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Dark Edge is a reach. It has 8 way movement but it's not a True 3D fighting game either. Put it like this. Toshinden is the first fully polygonic fighting game that did what others tried to do before it the right way. Toshinden gave these other companies the right formula.
Then that just makes them the better version but not the first. Wiki says Virtua Fighter is the first 3D game, but Toshinden is the true 3D fighting game.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Then that just makes them the better version but not the first. Wiki says Virtua Fighter is the first 3D game, but Toshinden is the true 3D fighting game.
Fam. That's exactly what I said. Toshinden is the first TRUE 3D fighting game. I never said it was the first 3D game in general. What are u arguing with me about fam? Lol

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
Looked amazing at the time , but even back then the controlls were awkward.

Deserves a reboot for sure.

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
Damn It's insane how Toh Shin Den 1(1995) and 2(1996) was in competition with Tekken 1(1995) and Tekken 2(1996) including VF2(1995) and VF3(1996) Who would have thought that the Toshinden series would literally turn into an obscure game, you ask somebody of Tohsinden they won't remember the game unless you showed them. Till this day Tekken since 1994 Tekken has been going strong and still has a strong presence in the 2010's and Virtua Fighter ain't been the same after VF4, the VF series has kinda got forgotten but it's still hanging thanks to hardcore gamers.
tumblr_p2qha8B5OS1uohygqo1_500.jpg

Page. 114

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

Page.115

BookReaderImages.php

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Damn It's insane how Toh Shin Den 1(1995) and 2(1996) was in competition with Tekken 1(1995) and Tekken 2(1996) including VF2(1995) and VF3(1996) Who would have thought that the Toshinden series would literally turn into an obscure game, you ask somebody of Tohsinden they won't remember the game unless you showed them. Till this day Tekken since 1994 Tekken has been going strong and still has a strong presence in the 2010's and Virtua Fighter ain't been the same after VF4, the VF series has kinda got forgotten but it's still hanging thanks to hardcore gamers.
tumblr_p2qha8B5OS1uohygqo1_500.jpg

Page. 114

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

Page.115

BookReaderImages.php

I'll never understand how Toshinden fell off... maybe it was because of 3 :patrice:

Virtua Fighter should have had flasher character designs. Characters in it were always boring looking

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
I'll never understand how Toshinden fell off... maybe it was because of 3 :patrice:

Virtua Fighter should have had flasher character designs. Characters in it were always boring looking
I think Toshinden 3 was the best out of all of them to be honest, but the nail on the coffin was Toshinden 4 in the west. Toshinden had a few spin offs in japan after 4. Takara or Naxat was planning to release a prequel called "Toshinden Next" from reading the summary it was pretty dark. I think the point of VF was to look simple and realistic compared to other fighters. In my opinion Tekken 1-4 Was kinda simple but much more flashier compared to VF. After 4 Tekken went to hell with it's anime looking characters, the characters look mad tacky.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
If the controls were tighter and the characters betted balanced it would have been remembered more fondly even though this game really inspired the Soul Edge/Calibur series and at the time it was the nicest looking 3D fighter until Tekken came and crushed the buildings. Oddly enough I had the version for Gameboy and it was done by the people who did the KOF games on there but Toshinden made it stateside and KOF didn't as far as I remember. The gameboy game low key was excellent.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
It also birthed Tekken as well. First true 3D fighting series. Ended up getting overshadowed by Tekken etc.
Tekken came out a month before BAT and Virtua Fighter was out before that :yeshrug:

The only reason I bought BAT was because it was on sale and Tekken was full price. I should have taken that as a sign :snoop: There's a reason it didn't make it past PS1 :ld: