WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Cultural Marxism - the ultimate post-factual dog whistle

Cultural Marxism - the ultimate post-factual dog whistle
November 10 2017
The good news is that "cultural Marxism" isn't real. The bad news is that people believe it is anyway.

The claim that left-wing intellectuals are trying to destroy the foundations of Western society is gaining traction in Australia.

1510272051482.jpg

Mark Latham, a believer in "Cultural Marxism". Photo: AAP
And the worse news is this: even if the idea is factually untrue, it can still have an impact on politics.

"Cultural Marxism" is a viral falsehood used by far-right figures, conspiracy theorists, and pundits to explain many ills of the modern world.

1510272051482.jpg

A still image from a YouTube video that falsely claims that concepts such as social justice and feminism, among others, are "cultural Marxism." Photo: Youtube/EuropeanUnity565
A search of archives shows right wing columnist Andrew Bolt first mentioned it in his writing in 2002.

More recently, former Labor opposition leader Mark Latham in a column, claimed that it was a "powerful" movement "dominating" about 80 per cent of public life.

University of Melbourne international relations lecturer Daniel R McCarthy says Latham and others "are using the term rhetorically to paint opponents of their political positions in a bad light".

"They label movements for LGBT rights as 'Marxist' in the hopes that this will frighten people into voting against things like gay marriage," McCarthy says.

1510272051482.jpg

A still from a video on Cultural Marxism and the Australian Labor Party. Photo: Supplied
"This is a clever rhetorical strategy, if dishonest or, charitably, simply deeply confused."

McCarthy makes a firm distinction between Marxist theorists originating in the 20th century and today's concept of "cultural Marxism".

1510272051482.jpg

An alt-right meme referencing 'cultural Marxism', a debunked concept that flourishes online. The wording co-opts fears about demographic change in the world today. Photo: Supplied
"There are Marxists or critical social theorists who study culture," McCarthy says. "What Latham and colleagues are talking about is entirely different."

"Their arguments, which verge onto the terrain of conspiracy theorising, understand social movements that they do not like as part of a 'cultural Marxist' political strategy to first colonise the terrain of public culture prior to taking over society as a whole," he says.

A 2003 article from the US-based Southern Poverty Law Centre described cultural Marxism as a "conspiracy theory with an anti-Semitic twist" that was then "being pushed by much of the American right".

"In a nutshell, the theory posits that a tiny group of Jewish philosophers who fled Germany in the 1930s and set up shop at Columbia University in New York City devised an unorthodox form of 'Marxism' that took aim at American society's culture, rather than its economic system," the report states.

Unfortunately, Google trends indicate a steadily rising interest in the term in Australia.

(Latham was emailed for comment on this article but did not reply.)

0911culturalMarxism2729px.png

Arizona State University professor Braden Allenby says the word '"Marxism' in many places is already a loaded term, so the use of 'cultural Marxism' sometimes is an effort to short circuit analysis or dialogue by implying that the individual or organisation so tagged is beyond the pale of rational discourse."

"In that sense, it becomes part of warring narratives, a dog whistle to others in your community."

With the original meaning of "cultural Marxism" lost, Allenby says, such terms "simply become higher level symbols of belonging and community".

Allenby pioneered the study of what's known as a weaponised narrative, a form of information attack using ideas, words and images to drive wedges into society, weakening it overall.

He believes the use of the term "cultural Marxism" indicates "that the dynamics of weaponised narrative might be at play."

Weaponised narratives, warring narratives, and conspiracy theories pose threats to a cohesive democratic society.

Among the alt-right, for example, partisan groups used weaponised narratives during the 2016 US election that led to confusion and added to negative noise around legitimate candidate. The widely debunked Pizzagate conspiracy theory promoted by trolls in the US is another example.

In 2015, anti-European Union trolls used the same techniques to influence the public's perception of the European immigration crisis.

Weaponised narratives and conspiracy theories are effective, Allenby says, because "there is no such thing as a news cycle anymore".

And that gives them considerable power online.

If "subgroups" can be identified, pundits using those narratives can create "news cycles for them that never rise out of that community, so they're never responded to," Allenby says.

"You can't generate responses to disinformation if you don't know the disinformation is out there, and if it's properly managed, it stays within the ring-fenced community it is intended for ... and thus is never responded to in the broader sense," says Allenby.

"It isn't that the wider community couldn't respond; it's that they never find out about it in the first place," he said.

Like a conspiracy theory, cultural Marxism gains its power from its ability to be applied broadly to many aspects of modern life. The willingness of swaths of the public to accept such views also reflects unease over real-world issues like economic uncertainty, fears of terrorism, and anxiety with demographic change.

The nature of information and views shared on social media means even things that never happened can become a political issue if enough people agree they exist.

It's hard to see this as good news.

Follow Chris Zappone on Facebook

@Y2Dre @Shook @Raymond Burrr @Red Shield @bdizzle @satam55 @Houston911 @Michael's Black Son @Sagat @Trajan @Sukairain @YouMadd? @Diasporan Royalty @MalikX @The Black Panther
@Matt504 @SupremexKing @#1 pick @Clutch Robinson @Cat piss martini @AndroidHero @Streezy

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

‘It’s OK to Be White,’ Explained

Michael Harriot

Friday 3:42pm
Filed to: WHITE FRAGILITY

enxdixqzmikreqbga80p.jpg

Based Stickman via Facebook

Another controversial wypipo movement has reared its ugly head, so we thought we’d—

Hold on for a second. I love these explainers, but now you’re writing them just for the sake of writing them. Why not work on a story about the Libyan slave trade or something? There’s no need to make things up.
I’m not making anything up. There is actually a movement dedicated to telling white people that it’s OK to be white.

By “movement,” do you mean two random people? One of my pet peeves with submillennials is that they call everything a “movement.” As soon as a nikka designs a T-shirt, creates a hashtag or starts a SoundCloud page, he claims something is a movement.
There is no “It’s OK to Be White” movement. I know white people are slowly dissolving into salty puddles of lukewarm snowflakes, but I don’t think they’ve gone this far ... yet. There would’ve been sirens or something.
Well, what do you call it when a conservative is hired to give an “It’s OK to Be White” speech at the University of Connecticut? How about the flyers they’ve found at the University of South Carolina, University of California, Davis, Washington State University and a Maryland high school? What would you call it when the guy who invented Minecraft is beefing about it on Twitter?

‘It’s Okay to Be White’ Signs Papered All Over the Country Because Everyone Knows White People Are…

A favorite book of both of my children (they’re 11 years apart) is It’s Okay to Be Different by…

Read more
OK, you got me. It sounds like a movement. But why, though?
That’s what I was about to explain before I was so rudely interrupted. A lot of our best and brightest white people are starting to believe they are oppressed. There have been polls that show that most white people feel they are “under attack” or discriminated against.

Most? nikka, how?
I’m trying to use that word less often in my writing. I have to get permission to use it. Anyway, there’s a quote that I heard that says, “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

That’s deep.
I hate that quote.

Why?
Because ... groupthink. Also, it insinuates that there’s some sort of equality taking place when there isn’t. White people are still hired twice as often as blacks. They’re still paid more. Hate crimes are increasing. Blacks are still incarcerated longer for the same crimes. There is not one quantifiable indicator to suggest that any sort of equality is taking place. Yet someone created a trite way of explaining it. I’m sure it was a liberal white person—probably Lena Dunham.

However, it is true that white people are beginning to feel like they’re getting the short end of the stick.

How do you explain that?
Terry Brockington.

Is that some academic from one of those books on critical race theory you’re always reading? No, I bet you’re going to tell me one of your childhood stories that you always turn into a parable. It this going to take long?
nikka, interrupted me!

I thought you said we were going to stop using that. ... Go ahead, man.
Terry and I were the same age. He was built like a brick shythouse and was grown-man-size by the time he was 12. I mean, this dude had a goatee in the third grade. No one messed with him, and he basically did whatever he wanted because he was big as fukk and mean as fukk. Everyone stayed out of Terry’s way.

Luckily, Terry lived around the corner from me all his life, and we were pretty cool, so he never bothered me. I also didn’t have to deal with him because I was skipped a couple of grades. By the time Terry was a freshman in high school, I was already a junior.

The first day of Terry’s freshman year, I walked to school with him. I could tell he was nervous because he kept asking me questions about the people, maneuvering the classrooms, etc. I couldn’t figure out why this big, cock-diesel dude would be so nervous. But when I got to school, I realized:

No one moved out of his way. No one was afraid of him. Every third or fourth dude in the hallway was a senior or junior who was as big as Terry or bigger.

But what does that have to do with “It’s OK to Be White”?
Because white people feel like Terry. Nothing has actually changed in the world. They are simply nervous because no one is afraid of them anymore. They see Confederate statues coming down and take it as an attack on them. They translate anything pro-black into anti-white. They saw the world respecting a black president for eight years and took it as a disrespect of whiteness.

They can’t deal with the fact that not only are they no longer the big man on campus, but whiteness no longer endows them with the ability to move to the front of the lunch line, take whatever they want, or stuff blacks, Muslims and Mexicans into middle school lockers. It’s not that white supremacy is falling apart, it’s just that no one respects it anymore, so we’re left to mop up the white-tears spills when they lash out. That’s why they need to tell each other that it’s OK to be white.

OK, I get it. So when they say we should understand that “It’s OK to be white” is a self-affirmation just like “Black lives matter,” should we object?
I’ve heard them say that, but here is the difference:

The history of slavery, Jim Crow, lynching, COINTELPRO, disproportionate police shootings, the war on drugs, mass incarceration, segregation, the creation of “black identity extremists,” Charlottesville, Va., hate crime statistics and Jeff Sessions becoming the chief law-enforcement officer in the United States proves the necessity of the phrase #BlackLivesMatter.

And since the sun rose over the horizon the day after the Jamestown, Va., settlers set foot on American soil and began infecting this land with their imagined Caucasian sovereignty, there has never been a moment in the history of this country, dare I say of the entire continent, when it has not been OK to be white.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
gdlhsths0iqnoj5ri4vz.jpg

Michael Harriot
Michael Harriot is a staff writer at The Root, host of "The Black One" podcast and editor-in-chief of the digital magazine NegusWhoRead. He always has the big joker and the double five.

Daps
They just talked about this on CNN, and they had a guy (concealed identity, face obscured) who is former red pill talking about how he got sucked in (no pun intended) and how he started noticing the racial stuff. Then they dropped the ball

HE WAS BLACK

:scust:

He said he started to believe the negative stuff about his race, and he eventually got out. Again, he got sucked in, because he had problems with women, and he thought they had too much power. As he got more involved, the political stuff came up, they embraced Trump, and the race stuff came out. But the fact that he became self hating is just

:scust::scust::scust::scust::scust:

Last edited:

J_rock

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You guys should check out the Trump thread on the Rooshv forum. It's like the bizarro alternate reality version of the Impeachment thread in Higher Learning. The whole thread (which has over 14 million views) is full of young white male cacs rejoicing over every move Trump makes and delighting in the fact that he embodies the continuation of white supremacy. Every pro-Trump post receives a bunch of likes and anything or anyone that is critical of Trump is vehemently rejected.

Sh!t is crazy :gucci:.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Something I think that doesn't get mentioned enough with those susceptible to the "It's okay to be white" types is, the general demonization of white males. The way I was raised, white people collectively were to be viewed with leeriness. As as result I take white people and really anybody for that matter on an individual basis. Still, I can't help but think the attitudes pervasive on left leaning college campuses that preach hostility towards heterosexual cis-gendered white males has not helped when it comes to dialogue. In fact I think it's done the exact opposite in some cases by laying the groundwork for alt right types.

You take a teenage white dude, young man, etc., who doesn't hold extreme views and then put him on a college campus and tell him he's responsible for all the ills in the world, I wouldn't expect him to take that lying down. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't either. And that's not to excuse the ones who just come from all out racist backgrounds or are reacting to societal changes in the form of globalization, multiculturalism, immigration, etc.. Just saying some of these left leaning talking points aren't helping when it comes to dialogue and engagement.