Lets talk about KRS-One being the most overrated oldschool lyricist

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Now hold on there:whoa:Shammago. I promise you this aint no diss thread.

KRS-One was alot of things:
Dope Artist
Great Music
Elite Mic Presence
Dropped mad knowledge

But dude was also a very simple rhymer(which is fine) who always got credit for being an elite or complex rhymer on the level of his comtemporaries.

Rakim
Kool G. Rap
Big Daddy Kane
etc...

Dude wasn't no where near seeing those cats in that category of rhyming.

I bet most would put dude over the likes of Ice Cube or LL Cool J in that category simply based on reputation & subject matter. But I just don't hear it and never have.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Not enough multis for you?

However you want to gage it, dude wasn't rhyming like those cats, but seemingly was rated equally with them as a rhymer. Why is that? East Coast bias? I don't know.

KRS was one of the hardest though, but at some point it became accepted that he was one of the most elite rhymers of his day.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
First, me personally I would have put LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, and Rakim in front of him anyway...

But I never looked at KRS one as this lyrically juggernaut, he was the teacher and alot times his shyt was simple, but I thought it was effective cause he was usually trying to get a message across and you don't people trying to decipher your lyrics if you trying to inform them...

I don't really think he is that Overrated cause I just don't know that many people that rate him that highly. I never really listen to to his and BDP albums a whole lot, but there wre always 2-3 songs that i felt... This one is probably my favorite KRS one

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
When has being "complex" ever equated to you being a better MC? And WTF is that anyway? "Complex"?

Rakim, Kane and G Rap were phenomenal lyricists, but there's more to being a great MC, than just being ill with multi's and punchlines. None of those three rocks a show like Kris did. And to be honest, he probably has more classic records than all three too.

Dude's a Top 3 MC of all-time. And it ain't due to subject matter.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
When has being "complex" ever equated to you being a better MC? And WTF is that anyway? "Complex"?

Rakim, Kane and G Rap were phenomenal lyricists, but there's more to being a great MC, than just being ill with multi's and punchlines. None of those three rocks a show like Kris did. And to be honest, he probably has more classic records than all three too.

I agree with everything you said except for him being Top 3 of alltime.

So you agree with what I said then?

Daps
Reppin
Oakland CA

reminds me of the early 2000's message board talk about what was a great "lyricist" and the nerdy fans came out in droves stating their support for guys like Chino XL, Del, Canibus, etc..

KRS One is bigger then a "lyricist" he's a legend...

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I agree with everything you said except for him being Top 3 of alltime.

So you agree with what I said then?

I grow up on G Rap, Rakim, KRS and Kane's best work. Thing was, KRS had joints for me for mad years. He was around before them, and had a career that lasted longer than theirs, and still dropped heat and classics. So I kinda always had KRS ahead of those three we mentioned earlier. That's my dude!

I just don't think many embody what Hip Hop or being an MC is, more than he does. He was the complete MC. The dude had no weaknesses. The same can't be said for the other three, as great as they are.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
First, me personally I would have put LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, and Rakim in front of him anyway...

But I never looked at KRS one as this lyrically juggernaut, he was the teacher and alot times his shyt was simple, but I thought it was effective cause he was usually trying to get a message across and you don't people trying to decipher your lyrics if you trying to inform them...

I don't really think he is that Overrated cause I just don't know that many people that rate him that highly. I never really listen to to his and BDP albums a whole lot, but there wre always 2-3 songs that i felt... This one is probably my favorite KRS one

KRS-One "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)" - YouTube

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always got the sense that KRS fans considered him one of the best to ever do it lyrically.

Maybe poeple don't rank him that high any more over the course of hip hop history, but I'm talking how he was viewed amongst his comtemporaries in his prime.

I remember getting shytted on Sohh for saying Cube was iller than dude lyrically even though, Cube for whatever reason never had that reputation or credit as a pure rhymer.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
reminds me of the early 2000's message board talk about what was a great "lyricist" and the nerdy fans came out in droves stating their support for guys like Chino XL, Del, Canibus, etc..

This.

I remember back on SOHH in like 2001, when cats were callin' 'Bis a Top 10 MC because he was so "complex" with his words. LOL!!

I never understood that argument at all.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC

What was said in the OP that makes you think that I think anything different?

KRS was great, is an All-time great, mad classic songs & albums. But he was a simple rhymer(not wack in any sense). I'm not saying that as a diss, but as a matter or fact. But I think his biggest fans probably do take offense to that.

Broccoli Rob

TTG LOL
Daps
Reppin
BX
Let's not talk about it, cus it's not true.

He's kind of outta touch now, but back then he was the shlt and spit with the best of them.

You must not have been around to put it in context.

Next.