Let's Talk about 4K

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
for someone who doesn't GAF about the latest tech and mainly uses the tv for sports, shytty horror movies, comedies, and GOT (when in season), what type of TV should I get? i don't watch a lot of movies, so i can't see myself needing a $2,000 for all that crazy ultra HD 4k feel like you're watching in real life type resolution.

Check out the TCL p series or 6 series (released on May 1) if you are looking for cheap but decent if you are in the U.S. I'd advise you to check out avsforums and rtings beforehand. Rtings breaks things down into categories so you can see what TV suits your needs.

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
OLED.

Organic Light emitting diode. Remember that I said that TV'S have leds. Edge-lit has led strips. FALD has them dotted around into zones behind the lcd. Well OLED the panel is the LED. Well kinda. You see a very good FALD has a hundred plus maybe 200 zones (LEDs) dotted around the entire display.

Well each individual pixel on an OLED can be.switched on and off at will. And there are usually 8 million pixels on a 4k tv. In layman's terms. You get the deepest blacks and the best contrast for HDR. Your jaw will drop when you see the picture. At the moment its the best T.V.technology.

There are some drawbacks. Because OLEDs don't usually have backlighting they do not have the peak brightness as LEDtvs. There are also reports of burn in. Rtings.com are currently doing a burn in torture test..Check their YouTube to see the ongoing results.

However this technology doesn't come cheap. If you have less than 1500 in your budget (like myself)forget OLED. Last year's models are slightly cheaper but these televisions do hold their value.

LG make OLED panels and their B and C series are the ones to go for. They both use the same panel so go for whichever is cheaper.

Considering getting a LG B series 55” Oled to replace an old 50” LG with burned out LEDs. Really want a Sony OLED just because I think it’ll last longer and is better built, but $2600 is no bueno. How are these LGs OLEDs holding up in general? These modern sub $1500 TVs only seem to be good for about 3 years of regular use before needing to be replaced...

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Considering getting a LG B series 55” Oled to replace an old 50” LG with burned out LEDs. Really want a Sony OLED just because I think it’ll last longer and is better built, but $2600 is no bueno. How are these LGs OLEDs holding up in general? These modern sub $1500 TVs only seem to be good for about 3 years of regular use before needing to be replaced...

Im looking into the b series as well but if youre interested, The e7 can be had for 1399, free shipping.

e7 comes with built in speaker bar.

55" LG OLED55E7P OLED 4K HDR Smart HDTV $1399 + Free Shipping

Daps
Reppin
The Coli
bought a samsung 55 4k hdr last week... about 844 with the 2/y geek squad thing... it isnt a top tier model but should be right under it.... i remember someone here saying dont buy a 4k without hdr and that kind of influenced my decision.....

oh, and the only con is the remote... its this one:
s-l1000.jpg

and not this one,
31qLQlgz8hL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
I have a 4K and a 1080p TV. The difference is distinct, eve when viewing non HDR content.

I got a few 4K blurays, they look real vivid in certain scenes. If you can cop a good one within your budget it's a no brainer.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a LG 55b7.

I really wanted a 65 inch, but green toe told me i could get the 55, brand new with shipping, for 1199.

If i sign up for a chase freedom card, id get 150 back for spending over 1k. plus the 1% cash back (11.99) making the tv ~1037 in all.

:patrice:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Do NOT buy a TCL Roku TV. They may have 4K but their HDR is not compatible with a lot of streaming services including your game consoles.

1970s HeRon Flow

Takin Penitentiary Chances
Daps
Reppin
Down Slauson Ave
There is nothing wrong with 6 series TCL Roku TV as the reviews indicate :hubie:

Now 5 series and below :hubie:
Wats the deal with the new 2018 5 series that is out? :jbhmm:
I see they adding hdr 10 and Dolby vision to the 5 series

I been waiting and waiting to find a monitor for the Xbox one X, but I just saw I can get the new 5 series in the 43in for like $300, I can’t game on big TVs so 43in feels manageable

Last edited:

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

I been waiting and waiting to find a monitor for the Xbox one X, but I just saw I can get the new 5 series in the 43in for like $300, I can’t game on big TVs so 43in feels manageable

I haven't seen any reviews on any of the 2018 models

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I see they adding hdr 10 and Dolby vision to the 5 series

You'd want a tv that is capable of freesync, a monitor would be even better since you're not looking for a big screen (which is better for your eyes, care about your future breh :handshake:)

1970s HeRon Flow

Takin Penitentiary Chances
Daps
Reppin
Down Slauson Ave
You'd want a tv that is capable of freesync, a monitor would be even better since you're not looking for a big screen (which is better for your eyes, care about your future breh :handshake:)
I need ur help
I been gaming with a monitor on console for like 10+years now
I haven't bought my Xbox one X yet cuz I wanted a monitor that took full advantage of it, shyt confuses me when I see 4k freesynch monitors but ppl saying it needs to be freesynch through HDMI to take advantage of it but I seem ppl on YouTube not even care about when they picking 4k monitors for their X, then I see that the freesynch over HDMI is capped anyways at like 1080p :dwillhuh: