Let's Talk about 4K

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
I have noticed a few threads talking about 4k televisions. So I decided to make one dedicated to the subject.

There seems to be some confusion as to what is best to buy. I will use this post to highlight some of the jargon and break down LED, LED FALD, OLED & QLED.

So let me start with LED. LED TVs come usually in two flavours. Edge-lit & FALD.
Edge-lit are usually that. They are normal LCD screens with a strip of LEDs on the bottom. These are usually the cheaper models (with exceptions). The picture quality is decent but can suffer from backlight leakage and grey blacks. Because of this High Dynamic Range HDR cannot show as much contrast as OLED as the backlight has to kick into high gear to show the brighter colours. You don't notice in games that much but films you will definitely notice. Especially if the films has borders. The best edge lit TV'S are the Sony X93 (930 for my US brehs) but its price range is OLED territory.

TLDR Edge-lit LEDs are usually the cheaper sets and are good for SDR. Bad to not bad for HDR content.

FALD is up next

Next strip

O³ (O cubed)

Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
Next up in picture quality and price is FALD. FALD stands for full array local dimming
Basically this means that instead of one or two led strips at the bottom it has leds all over the display. This means that individual leds can be dimmed or made.brighter in separate zones. In simple terms HDR content can be seen better. Less blooming and overall better picture quality. Luckily for the US brehs TCL has you covered. They offer a FALD tv for the same price as entry-level Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Sony. For the rest of us, the Sony X900e and f is the next step up. And the ZD9 is the best type of FALD in its class. Again it is in OLED territory.

TLDR. FALD is better than edge-lit televisions. Better HDR, less blooming and has the highest peak brightness of all tvs. H

However its not as good as OLED

O³ (O cubed)

Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
OLED.

Organic Light emitting diode. Remember that I said that TV'S have leds. Edge-lit has led strips. FALD has them dotted around into zones behind the lcd. Well OLED the panel is the LED. Well kinda. You see a very good FALD has a hundred plus maybe 200 zones (LEDs) dotted around the entire display.

Well each individual pixel on an OLED can be.switched on and off at will. And there are usually 8 million pixels on a 4k tv. In layman's terms. You get the deepest blacks and the best contrast for HDR. Your jaw will drop when you see the picture. At the moment its the best T.V.technology.

There are some drawbacks. Because OLEDs don't usually have backlighting they do not have the peak brightness as LEDtvs. There are also reports of burn in. Rtings.com are currently doing a burn in torture test..Check their YouTube to see the ongoing results.

However this technology doesn't come cheap. If you have less than 1500 in your budget (like myself)forget OLED. Last year's models are slightly cheaper but these televisions do hold their value.

LG make OLED panels and their B and C series are the ones to go for. They both use the same panel so go for whichever is cheaper.

O³ (O cubed)

Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
simply solution: buy an OLED. Everything else is sub-par :manny:
Not everybody can afford it yet
Me included:mjcry:
I will post more over the coming days about other shyt like HDR, Dolby Vision and the need for a soundbar or A/V receiver. Kinda angry because I just finished work and my postman has delivered God of War to another address.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
You would have to never turn your TV off. Like the breh above said they have Pixel shift.

I would always (and have) chose OLED.
But a quick Google shows that screen burn is a thing that exists at a higher rate than other TVs so it is still an argument for some people spending that amount of money.

I always buy additional warranty so it's :yeshrug:

Last edited: