Let's stop using NBA Finals record to determine who is the GOAT.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
It is a TEAM game.

A better metric to use would be how many times the GOAT candidates were outplayed in the Finals.

If you are a GOAT, you shouldn't be outplayed by anybody on such a big stage as the Finals and if you use the "tougher competition" excuse, you should be disqualified.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
THEN DURANT OUTPLAYING LEBRON EVERY TIME THEY FACED OFF IN THE FINALS MEANS KD > LEBRON

slack_imgs_4.gif

360Waves

2 girls and they get along like I'm Lou Will
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Basketball is literally the only sport where you see dudes counting rings to determine a players greatness. Messi finally won a World Cup but even before that he was already established as GOAT in soccer. Barry Bonds is considered one of the best ever, with many arguing he’s the GOAT with no World Series. When you watch NFL media, they’ve readily accepted Mahomes greatness and some already accept him as a GOAT candidate or one of the most talented they’ve ever seen. No one ever says “he has to win xyz super bowls to impress me.”

What’s even funnier is this style of player comparison in basketball did NOT exist in the 70s, 80s or even really 90s. We know this, because Jordan was anointed the GOAT at 6 rings when there are legends every bit as successful as him who also have 6 or more rings (KAJ, Bill Russell). It’s a gatekeeping tool that was developed in the 2000s by fakkit old heads to protect Jordan’s legacy. I also have to believe Nike and the media played a part in pushing this narrative to keep Jordan relevant because he’s too profitable for them.

In reality, Jordan was an excellent wing playing in the worst era of basketball ever. The Bulls were loaded in a weak era. Mf retired temporarily and the team didn’t miss a beat still winning 50+ games and were one suspect call away from getting to the ECF (Nike probably made that call because Bulls in the ECF without MJ is a bad look.)

These are FACTS. Saggy tit old nikkas can stay mad :manny:

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Basketball is literally the only sport where you see dudes counting rings to determine a players greatness. Messi finally won a World Cup but even before that he was already established as GOAT in soccer. Barry Bonds is considered one of the best ever, with many arguing he’s the GOAT with no World Series. When you watch NFL media, they’ve readily accepted Mahomes greatness and some already accept him as a GOAT candidate or one of the most talented they’ve ever seen. No one ever says “he has to win xyz super bowls to impress me.”

What’s even funnier is this style of player comparison in basketball did NOT exist in the 70s, 80s or even really 90s. We know this, because Jordan was anointed the GOAT at 6 rings when there are legends every bit as successful as him who also have 6 or more rings (KAJ, Bill Russell). It’s a gatekeeping tool that was developed in the 2000s by fakkit old heads to protect Jordan’s legacy. I also have to believe Nike and the media played a part in pushing this narrative to keep Jordan relevant because he’s too profitable for them.

In reality, Jordan was an excellent wing playing in the worst era of basketball ever. The Bulls were loaded in a weak era. Mf retired temporarily and the team didn’t miss a beat still winning 50+ games and were one suspect call away from getting to the ECF (Nike probably made that call because Bulls in the ECF without MJ is a bad look.)

These are FACTS. Saggy tit old nikkas can stay mad :manny:

BASKETBALL IS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER SPORTS

BECAUSE YOU ARE ONE OF 5 PLAYERS ON THE COURT

AND YOUR INDIVIDUAL INFLUENCE ON WINNING IT ALL IS MUCH GREATER AS YOUR TEAMS STAR PLAYER THAN IN SPORTS LIKE FOOTBALL N BASEBALL WHERE THERES FAR MORE VARIABLES INVOLVED THAN JUST YOUR STARS INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE

CLAIMING THAT GOING FROM 3 STRAIGHT RINGS TO LOSING IN THE SECOND ROUND = “NOT MISSING A BEAT” IS NASTY WORK

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Not as a single argument but as part of the argument

6-0 shyts all over 4-6 i dont give a fukk what the oppponents On/OFF is

Bron's Finals competiton was 100% harder than Mike's, but I agree overall.

No excuse for 2011. ZERO.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
If you are a GOAT, you shouldn't be outplayed by anybody on such a big stage as the Finals
Disagree with this. They aren't facing the same defense. Example the 08 finals.

There were games where Pierce outplayed Kobe. The Celtics had more players equipped to guard Kobe. While the Lakers had no one that could guard him. No one in their right mind would say Pierce was better than Kobe.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
It is a TEAM game.

A better metric to use would be how many times the GOAT candidates were outplayed in the Finals.

If you are a GOAT, you shouldn't be outplayed by anybody on such a big stage as the Finals and if you use the "tougher competition" excuse, you should be disqualified.
Ok. Bron was outplayed by Jason Terry & JJ Barea, so he's forever disqualified. :russ:

RoCKetSity256

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NorthW62d Hat Boys
Bron's Finals competiton was 100% harder than Mike's, but I agree overall.

No excuse for 2011. ZERO.
Bron shyt the bed in 2011 in my eyes. He also made it to the finals damn near single handed (very few have done that Iverson also comes to mind) before that and He turned around and did the impossible in 2016. Did 2011 still happen? Yes but he made up for it. With that being said you cant say rings are the end all be all in a comparison against single players because they are a team accomplishments. No GOAT candidate has ever won a NBA championship by himself and as far as i know no non GOAT candidate has either its virtually impossible. You must have rings to be in the GOAT discussion and in my eyes its a complete body of work that you judge the GOATs off of. Some things are more important to different people thats why i dont judge other people for who they consider as the GOAT. I do have Bron as the GOAT but its because of personal preference and people that dont have him so be it we all dont value everything the same. If you have Mike Bron Kobe Shaq Curry Kareem whoever as your GOAT then thats fine we can compare and talk shyt about but at the end of the day there is no universal unchallenged GOAT its just people arguing who they like more.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Bron shyt the bed in 2011 in my eyes. He also made it to the finals damn near single handed (very few have done that Iverson also comes to mind) before that and He turned around and did the impossible in 2016. Did 2011 still happen? Yes but he made up for it. With that being said you cant say rings are the end all be all in a comparison against single players because they are a team accomplishments. No GOAT candidate has ever won a NBA championship by himself and as far as i know no non GOAT candidate has either its virtually impossible. You must have rings to be in the GOAT discussion and in my eyes its a complete body of work that you judge the GOATs off of. Some things are more important to different people thats why i dont judge other people for who they consider as the GOAT. I do have Bron as the GOAT but its because of personal preference and people that dont have him so be it we all dont value everything the same. If you have Mike Bron Kobe Shaq Curry Kareem whoever as your GOAT then thats fine we can compare and talk shyt about but at the end of the day there is no universal unchallenged GOAT its just people arguing who they like more.
It's all opinion at the end of the day