let's discuss the black community and our avoidance of mental help/therapy

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
i just got off the phone with my mom a lil while ago, and during our conversation i let her know i'm started seeing a counselor last friday. not because i'm depressed (i have been before though) but because there's A LOT of fukked up shyt that happened in my life growing up that i honestly never addressed/tried to process, these things hold me back, and i feel like i if i can get past them, my life will truly be fulfilling. meanwhile, she's warning me to be careful and saying how she really wishes i'd see a "christian counselor"-- aka somebody that'll tell me shyt happens so just pray :comeon: thats another discussion but anyways

i feel like this is a serious issue for the black community, and a major reason we're where we are right now. just think about the shyt you may have personally gone through, witnessed, experienced, etc and how it may have affected your life whether you know it or not... a lot of us are growing up in broken homes, seeing friends and family get killed, etc, and these kinda issues are NEVER seriously addressed. yet we wonder why the cycle continues... we don't seek the help to properly deal with these kinds of things, men in particular because it's seen as weak. at most, we'll seek spiritual support. for the longest, we've had to learn how to go without, and i think its proving to have a major affect on our psychosis. poverty is a major issue, but our culture is too. what do yall think though?

Emperor Sol

Knowledge and Wisdom
Daps
Reppin
CAN
I agree. However, I think we'll need a lot more black psychologists who've been through the struggle or at least have some way of understanding the community so that they can better help those in need.

Not that other races of psychologists can't help, but I think it'd probably be better to get help from someone who's a lot more like you, don't you?

Do you get what I'm saying?

BedRoomI'z

All Money In
Daps
Reppin
South Memphis
I think it's an issue of pride too.
A lot of mental issues go uncheck because of the simple fact
of those affected don't think it's an issue we should be dealing with
or acknowledging in the first place.

An organized bedlam of fukkery with those around you
not realizing that it is a problem until it's too late, ie tragedy.

Remember the Lester Street Massacre down here about
three years ago where Jessie Dotson took his brother and whole
family out? Mental Illness

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
I agree. However, I think we'll need a lot more black psychologists who've been through the struggle or at least have some way of understanding the community so that they can better help those in need.

Not that other races of psychologists can't help, but I think it'd probably be better to get help from someone who's a lot more like you, don't you?

nah i feel you completely, i'm starting to think psychology is one of the main fields we need to try and break into. that's something we're slipping on. for the longest, its been the whole "be a doctor, lawyer, engineer" type shyt in terms in positivity cause supposedly that'll correct everything that's been going wrong, but nah... we gotta properly understand it first. doctors and lawyers won't be able do that. we definitely need more psychologists.

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this show was about this topic, if your interested..start at 10.20

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEsAViUpaZo[/ame]

Daps
If anything i'd advocate seeking spiritual counselling by someone who is both spiritual, and has been through it in the past.

Nothing worse than some armchair expert throwing around their flattering degrees tryna school you on what YOU actually went through:beli:

That degree and that book dont work jack **** in these face to face, beard to beard conflicts out here.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Psychologists cant do shyt for you. shyt, the nation of islam has a better success rate rehabilitating lost black males then the entire community of psychology. They dont know wtf they're doing and are unable to properly study the black mind without their generic biases and ridiculous terms. At the end of the day, all they're gonna do is put you on drugs and tell you to come back next week to cut them another check. God is the only way, fukka psychologist.

BedRoomI'z

All Money In
Daps
Reppin
South Memphis
Like somebody mentioned earlier, pride gets in our way from seeking help from professionals w/lingering issues

More like a stigma too. Like we as blacks are supposed to be so
gotdamn strong, the last thing we supposed to admit to is a
malfunction in our brain or our inability to think or cope with
life's problems.

resurrection

By Way of Deception, Thou Shalt Do War
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
It's not just a black community thing, trust me.

And I think @BedRoomI'z is on to something.. I think a lot of men especially (race notwithstanding) are just too proud to admit they are depressed, anxious, or something of that nature

Last edited by a moderator:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Psychologists cant do shyt for you. shyt, the nation of islam has a better success rate rehabilitating lost black males then the entire community of psychology. They dont know wtf they're doing and are unable to properly study the black mind without their generic biases and ridiculous terms. At the end of the day, all they're gonna do is put you on drugs and tell you to come back next week to cut them another check. God is the only way, fukka psychologist.

So you'd rather talk to an imaginary fairy in the sky than an expert who has put countless hours into that field of study?
mysmilie_873.gif

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan

Imagine spilling your guts to a random becky when you reach the clinic. :lolbron:

"Uh huh... Ok... Um hmm..." , "Wow! And how did that make you feel inside?....", "You must have a lot of anxiety." :dry:

BedRoomI'z

All Money In
Daps
Reppin
South Memphis
Imagine spilling your guts to a random becky when you reach the clinic. :lolbron:

"Uh huh... Ok... Um hmm..." , "Wow! And how did that make you feel inside?....", "You must have a lot of anxiety." :dry:

I am dealing with someone who would rather pop pills than to sit
down and talk to Becky. Sometimes, the therapy of a paid professional
helps because she has no emotional ties to you and her best interest
lies in helping you become rational again.

OPTiMO

SamsoniteMan
Daps
Reppin
From the Bay to Central CA
this is gonna be a :demonic: fight over my way works better than your way.

People should find the help that works for them whatever that may be, if it works for you then nobody can really say shyt.