Let's admit the cold hard truth about kobe - media ruined Kobe's legit top 3-4 status

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
People have to learn to be okay with other people having different opinions. On this website, any objective poster will tell you the trend has been that if you favor LeBron (and to a lesser extent, Mike) over Kobe, you aren't thinking for yourself and you're anti-Kobe, which in most conversations I've had in real life, the guys who thought other guys were greater than Kobe, weren't anti-Kobe. This is and has always and will remain a very pro-Kobe board, more than any one single athlete in any sport we talk about on here...

There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, the issues mostly have arisen when people have said they think some other guys are greater than Kobe, and you get net-stoned to death with alot of tough talk....about fukking sports debates that people have always had and will continue to have...a LOT of you brothers on here are very weird, and I'm saying that in the most respectful way I can say it...

When the dust settles, people will go on having debates about where Kobe lands, as well they should. These knee-jerk reactions that guys are swearing off comparing him to other GOATs ever again won't hold up in the long run, and they shouldn't. There's nothing wrong with sports debate, we debate everything as a society, it's just compartmentalizing when guys are crossing the line. It isn't slander or crossing the line to say you think another legit GOAT was/is better than Bean, no more than the other way around---->cats not comparing and saying somebody like Speedy Claxton better than Kobe...

In the interim, we're gonna see a bit of inflation the same way we saw when Big and Pac died, even though while they were alive, it was debatable that guys from Rakim to Nas to Cube to KRS were greater all-time. Those two died and suddenly they became "greatest ever" overnight. So we'll see some inflation for Kobe's standing probably for at least the next half-decade, if not longer. People who won't automatically catapult him to Top 2 status just because he passed, doesn't make them anti-Kobe...

For the record, he deserves all the adulation he's getting for the man he was. And it's long been established he's a GOAT, no matter where you have him, the consensus is he isnt lower than 10. He was a brilliant player, a role model off the floor, and I'm gonna miss him. I've long told the story on here how I became a basketball fan, 5th grade in South Central, ripping a Kobe poster out of an SI mag in '99. Alot of my adolescence was played to Kobe, and i grew up bicoastal, from California to Virginia...

We all have different recollections depending on our age and what influenced us at the time. Kobe definitely was not this media target outside of maybe the immediate 2 years following Colorado. Prior to that, he was the golden boy, and once he put his head down and affirmed his greatness in the post-Shaq years, by the time he won those last two titles, he had earned his way back into the good Grace's of the public. The media questioned his leadership, and it was widely reported that as a player he wasn't well liked, but he was far from vilified or hated. We don't have to make up stories, people always loved Kobe, and the segment of the public who didn't, had dwindled to almost nothing by the time he retired. He became less surely and more open with his thoughts and personality and it relaxed people, not to mention, there isn't but so much you can do to deny a guy with his on-court resume...

His passing doesn't change how I view him as a player, because his career is done and can't be changed. I already knew he was widely loved and respected. I felt some hurt for his passing, took my day or so to really comprehend it and what he meant to me growing up. None of us will ever get over his sudden passing, but as life goes on, you have to be okay with it from the sense that we all have an expiration date and it WILL be sudden for a good number of us. He did everything he was called to do here, and if there was more for him to do, The Creator would still have him here...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'd say virtually all of us have lost someone we knew in our personal life. It's never easy 48 hours later, like today is. You never fully get over the suddenness of it. But it is life and life goes on, the same way it did when Mike died, when MLK died, when Malcolm died, and a whole host of other prominent people and those we've lost in our personal lives. My favorite cousin, was like a sister to me, died on December 5, 2005, and is interred at Hollywood Forever, and every time I'm in LA, I go see her and have a word with her:

BROWN v. LAC-USC MEDICAL | B204206 | 20081231043 | Leagle.com

My family sued USC behind her death, and personally, this is the toughest personal loss I've ever encountered. 14 years later, I don't get over that I lost her so soon, and I still "talk" to her a few times a year. You never forget her, but it becomes easier with time as you realize that day comes for us all, and no one is ever taken "before their time". There's a plan, a start date, and an expiration date, on everyone's life...

We'll one day again be okay comparing Kobe to other All-Timers, and most people will be okay wherever someone else places him, whether its 1 or 10. And it's okay to understand people we loved most weren't perfect, had flaws, etc. That doesn't prohibit us from appreciating their character...

I'll always love Kobe, and I'll always enjoy a healthy debate about his game and his career to other great players. I probably won't comment any further on his death, because there isnt a reason to, and will remember him by the legacy he left on the court and off. Big loss for us all as fans but an even bigger loss for the people who actually knew and loved him, respect that our loss will never be as great as theirs. He's got three daughters that now have to navigate life without him and a sister, a wife who is suddenly husband-less. I prefer to keep the context that the tinge of hurt I feel from losing him isnt comparable to what his family and closest friends feel. Take your moment to grieve, we'll always certainly appreciate him on here, even to a fault sometimes, and keep it moving...

Nothing left to add. RIP to Kobe and I'll always love and cherish the influence he had on me as a kid, to start following basketball and the whole nine. RIP...

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People have to learn to be okay with other people having different opinions. On this website, any objective poster will tell you the trend has been that if you favor LeBron (and to a lesser extent, Mike) over Kobe, you aren't thinking for yourself and you're anti-Kobe, which in most conversations I've had in real life, the guys who thought other guys were greater than Kobe, weren't anti-Kobe. This is and has always and will remain a very pro-Kobe board, more than any one single athlete in any sport we talk about on here...

There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, the issues mostly have arisen when people have said they think some other guys are greater than Kobe, and you get net-stoned to death with alot of tough talk....about fukking sports debates that people have always had and will continue to have...a LOT of you brothers on here are very weird, and I'm saying that in the most respectful way I can say it...

When the dust settles, people will go on having debates about where Kobe lands, as well they should. These knee-jerk reactions that guys are swearing off comparing him to other GOATs ever again won't hold up in the long run, and they shouldn't. There's nothing wrong with sports debate, we debate everything as a society, it's just compartmentalizing when guys are crossing the line. It isn't slander or crossing the line to say you think another legit GOAT was/is better than Bean, no more than the other way around---->cats not comparing and saying somebody like Speedy Claxton better than Kobe...

In the interim, we're gonna see a bit of inflation the same way we saw when Big and Pac died, even though while they were alive, it was debatable that guys from Rakim to Nas to Cube to KRS were greater all-time. Those two died and suddenly they became "greatest ever" overnight. So we'll see some inflation for Kobe's standing probably for at least the next half-decade, if not longer. People who won't automatically catapult him to Top 2 status just because he passed, doesn't make them anti-Kobe...

For the record, he deserves all the adulation he's getting for the man he was. And it's long been established he's a GOAT, no matter where you have him, the consensus is he isnt lower than 10. He was a brilliant player, a role model off the floor, and I'm gonna miss him. I've long told the story on here how I became a basketball fan, 5th grade in South Central, ripping a Kobe poster out of an SI mag in '99. Alot of my adolescence was played to Kobe, and i grew up bicoastal, from California to Virginia...

We all have different recollections depending on our age and what influenced us at the time. Kobe definitely was not this media target outside of maybe the immediate 2 years following Colorado. Prior to that, he was the golden boy, and once he put his head down and affirmed his greatness in the post-Shaq years, by the time he won those last two titles, he had earned his way back into the good Grace's of the public. The media questioned his leadership, and it was widely reported that as a player he wasn't well liked, but he was far from vilified or hated. We don't have to make up stories, people always loved Kobe, and the segment of the public who didn't, had dwindled to almost nothing by the time he retired. He became less surely and more open with his thoughts and personality and it relaxed people, not to mention, there isn't but so much you can do to deny a guy with his on-court resume...

His passing doesn't change how I view him as a player, because his career is done and can't be changed. I already knew he was widely loved and respected. I felt some hurt for his passing, took my day or so to really comprehend it and what he meant to me growing up. None of us will ever get over his sudden passing, but as life goes on, you have to be okay with it from the sense that we all have an expiration date and it WILL be sudden for a good number of us. He did everything he was called to do here, and if there was more for him to do, The Creator would still have him here...
Mostly agree with your sentiment.
Fair post.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Insufferable ass nikkas, I swear :hhh:

Not even Rhakim stepped out of bounds on this shyt :francis:

nikka, stop the passive-aggressive shyt. You nikkas act really strange about alot of sports talk around here. Nobody is stepping outta bounds, some of you emotionally immature nikkas need real friends and real hobbies. Everybody don't have to think the same way you do, either you have never actually lost someone or you live a sheltered existence...

Ain't a single person I've seen stepped "outta bounds" about Kobe, but then, I haven't been living on this board the last 48 hours. Someone need to tell you soft nikkas to grow up. The only insufferable cats on here are all you nikkas acting like you've never lost anyone and like Kobe was part of your family...

Newsflash, I grew up on him too. He's a huge part of my childhood. You're validating my point about yall, chill the fukk out and let people be. His parents just lost and outlived their only son and you in here looking for new shyt to bytch about like he's your seed. Grow up, nikka...

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
nikka, stop the passive-aggressive shyt. You nikkas act really strange about alot of sports talk around here. Nobody is stepping outta bounds, some of you emotionally immature nikkas need real friends and real hobbies. Everybody don't have to think the same way you do, either you have never actually lost someone or you live a sheltered existence...

Ain't a single person I've seen stepped "outta bounds" about Kobe, but then, I haven't been living on this board the last 48 hours. Someone need to tell you soft nikkas to grow up. The only insufferable cats on here are all you nikkas acting like you've never lost anyone and like Kobe was part of your family...

Newsflash, I grew up on him too. He's a huge part of my childhood. You're validating my point about yall, chill the fukk out and let people be. His parents just lost and outlived their only son and you in here looking for new shyt to bytch about like he's your seed. Grow up, nikka...

:mjlol: fukk outta here you cornball. you didn't grow up on shyt you were switching teams every year in Sac Town. go type another fukking essay for your audience of one - Mexicac @Remote:camby:

Derekjackson2

Banned
Daps
I’m a Kobe fan & recognized his greatness but He didn’t have anything unique in his game & his prime was too close to Jordan’s. Basketball hasn’t seen LeBron’s & Durant’s size & skills before. Magic was unique . Kareem was unique. Shaq was unique. Kobe is a spectacular clone of Jordan not top 5.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I’m a Kobe fan & recognized his greatness but He didn’t have anything unique in his game & his prime was too close to Jordan’s. Basketball hasn’t seen LeBron’s & Durant’s size & skills before. Magic was unique . Kareem was unique. Shaq was unique. Kobe is a spectacular clone of Jordan not top 5.

If you are talking skill, Kobe was the most skilled basketball player in the history of the game. Not sure if you understand the intricacies of the game but Kobe's perimeter footwork was one of one. KD is hella skilled but not at the level of Kob.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
“What happened was a tragedy but.......”

But nothing. Leave it at that and shut the fukk up. Ya come in here with no other reason other to antagonize.
It isnt antagonizing.
It is an attempt to keep things in perspective.

You guys just wanna inflate and say all these things and when one of us tries to bring things down to a realistic level, we are reported and bashed as haters because we don't sip from the chalice of the cult.

"How dare you say anything contrary about our dear leader..."

One of the leading expressions about Kobe is "how great is our god?"

These people are mentally ill.

@murksiderock is the only reasonable poster in here.