Legalizing Sports Gambling Has Turned Into A Huge Mistake (The Atlantic)

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
And you will be wrong.

Legalizing gambling INCREASED the risk of bankrupcy.

'A second paper, from the economists Brett Hollenbeck of UCLA and Poet Larsen and Davide Proserpio of the University of Southern California, tells a similar story. Looking specifically at online sports gambling, they find that legalization increases the risk that a household goes bankrupt by 25 to 30 percent, and increases debt delinquency. These problems seem to concentrate among young men living in low-income counties—further evidence that those most hurt by sports gambling are the least well-off.'

It's objectvely a bad thing.
The same could probably be said for normal gambling or other betting, but it is still legal. People fukk their shyt up over Scratchers and the Lotto too, cancel that too? What about alcohol, some people cant control themselves with that and ruin their families. Let's stop that too, oh wait we did and that shyt did not work and made things worse.

At some point we can ban every vice and we know what will happen, it will be criminalized and empower organized crime. You have to accept that some people have no self control when it comes to certain things and they should avoid it. I know at least one person that knows he cant control himself when it comes to gambling, so he does not gamble.

We have to accept that some people are responsible enough to control themselves and provide services to help them with their addiction, not ban anything that they can be addicted to.

Last edited:

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Damn so nikkas home team lose, they loss their rent money, so they take it out on their lady.
That shyt has been happening forever, since gambling has been a thing. Some people have mental disorders and need to be seen by doctors instead of banning shyt outright. The activity is not the issue, the mentality is.

What is next, ban candy because some people cant control themselves and get diabetes and other issues?

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
The same could probably be said for normal gambling or other betting, but it is still legal. People fukk their shyt up over Scratchers and the Lotto too, cancel that too? What about alcohol, some people cant control themselves with that and ruin their families? Let's stop that too, oh wait we did and that shyt did not work and made things worse.

At some point we can ban every vice and like we know what will happen, it will be criminalized and empower organized crime. You have to accept that some people have no self control when it comes to certain things and they avoid it. I know at least one person that knows he cant control himself when it comes to gambling, so he does not gamble.

We have to accept that some people are responsible enough to control themselves and provide services to help them with their addiction, not ban anything that they can be addicted to.
Sure, let's legalize crack, fentanyl, heroine, etc.

People, just be responsible and society will be fine

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
It's insane.. I know people who don't even watch sports like that asking me for bets because I watch from college ball on up.. :heh:
Sports gambling is like day trading, you don’t really need to watch anything to do it

Most sharps don’t even watch sports

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Sure, let's legalize crack, fentanyl, heroine, etc.

People, just be responsible and society will be fine
This is not about legalizing hard drugs, but trying to ban activities that some people can not help themselves with. Some people are addicted to video games, not even the loot boxes, just playing them. Addicted to playing video games to the point that they screw over their lives, should we ban that too?

You can make a case for less ads or only have ads for gambling in certain locations, but the responsibility is on the people.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Every SINGLE time I hear someone talking about this IRL, they always talking about winning.

I be thinking "bullshyt. Everybody can't be winning"

Somebody losing. And if it's like every other form of gambling ever, most people lose.
When people parlays are messed up. That’s losing. You hear loses a lot now. The attractive thing is since it is legal, you don’t have to bet big to play. You can bet and turn $5 into $30. That same $5 is being spent on stupid ish only making those who are rich, richer. The stock market isn’t giving out huge payouts. You can’t bet favorites and earn 10% to 20% on your bet which is literally an investment that covers bookies in case of a massive payout.