Legalizing Sports Gambling Has Turned Into A Huge Mistake (The Atlantic)

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
Almost as bad as gambling with AMC
clenching-heart-meme-old-man-holding-chest.gif
hodl!!!

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Its way worst than most think, wait til this next generation come up..

Talk to anyone in school system, they will tell you about high school kids gambling with they parents credit card and such.. When I heard kids talking about hitting a parlay, I was shocked. :mjtf:This is just a slight crack people will overlook.. Seeing how rapid people have accepted gambling into fabric of life is insane..

Brosef

I respect O.G. knowledge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Yeah it's easier to access for everyone now and kids are being taught it's OK when they see superstars in gambling ads on TV

Good data about how gambling is leading to less household investment. People should focus on these investments instead of pouring 10s of billions into gambling and see how much happier they would be

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Kinda like how I miss the Quake gaming days where you played for the love and not for skins and lootboxes, I was dead tired of Fanduel commercials during NBA games. Completely bullshyt and its harder to convince me that calls aren't made in favor of betting odds from time to time.
Right? It ruins the purity of the game and adds to the idea it’s rigged. What if a ref has a parlay?

Outlaw

New Hope For the HaveNotz
Daps
Reppin
Buzz City, NC :blessed:
Don’t make it illegal. People are grown and can make their own decisions. I’d say just make the industry more regulated like make it illegal to advertise, similar to cigarette commercials and regulate the frequency networks can talk about odds.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
There is always going to be things that some people are unable to handle or get addicted to, it is what it is to a certain extent. I do not agree with the barrage of ads for gambling, but at the same time you have to put more focus on the person gambling. This is not like drugs where one or a few hits will get you hooked and screwed for life.

If someone is not responsible enough to manage their gambling habits then i would bet (ha) that they would find a way to do it anyways, ban or not.
And you will be wrong.

Legalizing gambling INCREASED the risk of bankrupcy.

'A second paper, from the economists Brett Hollenbeck of UCLA and Poet Larsen and Davide Proserpio of the University of Southern California, tells a similar story. Looking specifically at online sports gambling, they find that legalization increases the risk that a household goes bankrupt by 25 to 30 percent, and increases debt delinquency. These problems seem to concentrate among young men living in low-income counties—further evidence that those most hurt by sports gambling are the least well-off.'

It's objectvely a bad thing.