Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Faced Better Competition? Hakeem

I don't have da analytical knowledge for dat debate. Maybe @The Dankster can assist wit dat.

Faced better competition or beat better competition? :mjpls:

I don't like casting shade on the Dream because he's one of my 3-4 favorite players of all time, and I have him ranked higher than most people do (definitely top-10, possibly challenging for as high as #5). But the truth is that nearly all his playoff success came during the weakest era in the last 30 years. Between 1988 and 1995 the NBA added SIX expansion teams, and it wasn't like the NBA (especially not the West) had been stacked with talent even before then. Most of the great teams of the era were a superstar, an all-star sidekick, and some role players. Hakeem's Finals teams all had a solid #2 (Ralph Sampson, Otis Thorpe, and Clyde Drexler) and the two times he won, his role players were solid too. Hakeem's great playoff victories were more like him taking on another superstar one-on-one or leading his role players better than the other superstar did. He wasn't beating great teams 1-on-5 or winning "single-handedly" like people make it out to be today.

And outside those two runs, he's got almost nothing. 11 out of the other 16 years, the Dream never made it out of the first round. 14 out of 16, he didn't make it past the second.

Warriors, Mavs, Lakers, Sonics, Jazz, Clippers - nearly everyone in the West beat Hakeem, and not always with their best teams. In 1992 he missed the playoffs despite Thorpe having an all-star year and Kenny Smith/Vernon Maxwell in their prime putting in 31 and 11 as the starting backcourt. That Rockets team got beat out by weak Laker and Clipper squads for the last slot. In the expansion era, in his prime, with Magic retired, with an all-star on his team, he couldn't make the playoffs. In 1987 his Rockets got beat by an awful Sonics team that only won 39 games that year....and in 1989 the McDaniel/Ellis Sonics beat them again. Most of those squads never beat anyone else either - do you even remember the Mavs and Clippers rosters from that era? When has Lebron EVER lost to an unremarkable team? Even when he was carrying scrubs, nothing short of a serious title contender has ever taken him out.

Lebron has 30 playoff series victories. Hakeem only has 16 even though he played 5 more years than Lebron has so far, and half those wins were in that one two-year stretch in '94-'95 when the NBA was full of expansion teams AND Magic had retired early AND Jordan had retired early. Imagine a weak league, then dilute it with expansion, then erase the two biggest superstars. That's why there wasn't a single dominant team in that two-year stretch that Hakeem ran through the playoffs twice. The best team he beat was....?

Take the teams that Lebron took out (the 73-win Warriors, the 62-win Bulls, the 60-win Hawks, the 58-win Spurs, and the 58-win Thunder). Hakeem doesn't have five playoff victories that stack up to those. And it wasn't like Lebron has only beat five real teams and everyone else was a bunch of scrubs - there were another 5-6 teams (pick who you want from the 2007 Pistons, 2011 and 2012 Celtics, 2015 Bulls, 2012 and 2013 and 2014 Pacers) who were actual threats to the rosters that Lebron was carrying against them. You don't win 30 playoff series in only 13 years in a stacked era without proving you can beat real competition.

bytch boy bron aint shyt, all his accolades come in a p*ssy ass era full of flopping and whistles being blown for any real attempt at defense

Stick that nikka in 1995 and he averages 12 ppg

:mjlol:

Yeah, same era where Clyde "I look at the ground when I dribble (right hand only) and launch broke-ass line-drive jumpers" Drexler could average 25-27ppg is an era that would really stifle Lebron.

Last edited:

DeshaunWatson

Rookie
Daps
Per36 Embid is averaging some crazy shyt, something like 31ppg 11rpg 4apg 6bpg 2spg. I think Hakeem would do just fine. No matter how the league operates at the time, great bigs will ALWAYS stand out and put up big #.

Embid, Towns, Porzingis, Boogie, have all been dominant this year. Hakeem would be fine.

Thats what I am saying. Pick and Pop with Hakeem? My word. Getting matched up with a 4 like Draymond? Fade away. Getting matched up with some Cac like Meyers Leanord? Hello Dream Shake

:whew:

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
tz0k3hdv.jpg

How dare he?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
better at what? choking away finals, and jumping on super teams to win titles?

Rebounder? Hakeem
Clutch? Hakeem
Faced Better Competition? Hakeem
Defense? Hakeem
Post Up ? Hakeem
Footwork? Hakeem
Influence? Hakeem

:francis:

lebron is more accomplished with less seasons

ZeKAek6.png

lebron in the clutch

ySqpc26.jpg

lebron impact dwarfs hakeems

VORP (value over replacement)

EebzroV.png

PER (player eff rating)

uNHsLOM.png

LeBron James passes Michael Jordan as most valuable player in NBA history

Also arguably the most clutch player in NBA history. And yes, that list includes Michael Jordan.

James is now 4-2 all-time in Game 7s, including 2-0 in those must-win games during the NBA Finals. His game score from Sunday night — a metric created by John Hollinger to give a rough measure of a player’s productivity for a single game – was 23.1, the fifth-highest for a Game 7. He also has the third-highest game score for a Game 7 (32.5 in 2013). His performances in Games 5 and 6 — both elimination games for Cleveland — earned him game scores of 39.2 and 42.5, respectively, two of the top three performances ever recorded in the NBA Finals.

9yPvTQL.jpg

There have now been 13 games in which a player has recorded at least 20 points, 10 assists and 10 rebounds — James has five. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson are the only two players to have more than one. Charles Barkley, Tim Duncan, Jason Kidd and James Worthy have the others. Jordan has none.

ABHHcjM.jpg

James has also moved past Jordan in postseason value over replacement, a box score estimate of the points per 100 possessions that a player contributed above a replacement-level player. In other words, James, despite not winning as many championships as Jordan, is the most valuable playoff player of all time. It’s also worth noting that Jordan’s teammate, Scottie Pippen, appears on this all-time great list at No. 5. You have to scan to No. 12, Dwyane Wade, to find the best overall playoff performance by one of James’s teammates.

SQMAzY0.jpg

When you factor in regular season performance, James can now be considered the most valuable NBA player of all time.

BWV5ij2.jpg

LeBron James passes Michael Jordan as most valuable player in NBA history

LBJ make Hakeem look like Kobe in impact metrics

Hakeem

tbGZp45.png

Hakeem Olajuwon Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Value Over Replacement Player
Career NBA 77.1 (12th)
Career 77.1 (13th)

lebron

Enblvmj.png

Value Over Replacement Player
Active 109.6 (1st)
Career NBA 109.6 (1st)
Career 109.6 (1st)

Hakeem Olajuwon Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Faced better competition or beat better competition? :mjpls:

I don't like casting shade on the Dream because he's one of my 3-4 favorite players of all time, and I have him ranked higher than most people do (definitely top-10, possibly challenging for as high as #5). But the truth is that nearly all his playoff success came during the weakest era in the last 30 years. Between 1988 and 1995 the NBA added SIX expansion teams, and it wasn't like the NBA (especially not the West) had been stacked with talent even before then. Most of the great teams of the era were a superstar, an all-star sidekick, and some role players. Hakeem's Finals teams all had a solid #2 (Ralph Sampson, Otis Thorpe, and Clyde Drexler) and the two times he won, his role players were solid too. Hakeem's great playoff victories were more like him taking on another superstar one-on-one or leading his role players better than the other superstar did. He wasn't beating great teams 1-on-5 or winning "single-handedly" like people make it out to be today.

And outside those two runs, he's got almost nothing. 11 out of the other 16 years, the Dream never made it out of the first round. 14 out of 16, he didn't make it past the second.

Warriors, Mavs, Lakers, Sonics, Jazz, Clippers - nearly everyone in the West beat Hakeem, and not always with their best teams. In 1992 he missed the playoffs despite Thorpe having an all-star year and Kenny Smith/Vernon Maxwell in their prime putting in 31 and 11 as the starting backcourt. That Rockets team got beat out by weak Laker and Clipper squads for the last slot. In the expansion era, in his prime, with Magic retired, with an all-star on his team, he couldn't make the playoffs. In 1987 his Rockets got beat by an awful Sonics team that only won 39 games that year....and in 1989 the McDaniel/Ellis Sonics beat them again. Most of those squads never beat anyone else either - do you even remember the Mavs and Clippers rosters from that era? When has Lebron EVER lost to an unremarkable team? Even when he was carrying scrubs, nothing short of a serious title contender has ever taken him out.

Lebron has 30 playoff series victories. Hakeem only has 16 even though he played 5 more years than Lebron has so far, and half those wins were in that one two-year stretch in '94-'95 when the NBA was full of expansion teams AND Magic had retired early AND Jordan had retired early. Imagine a weak league, then dilute it with expansion, then erase the two biggest superstars. That's why there wasn't a single dominant team in that two-year stretch that Hakeem ran through the playoffs twice. The best team he beat was....?

Take the teams that Lebron took out (the 73-win Warriors, the 62-win Bulls, the 60-win Hawks, the 58-win Spurs, and the 58-win Thunder). Hakeem doesn't have five playoff victories that stack up to those. And it wasn't like Lebron has only beat five real teams and everyone else was a bunch of scrubs - there were another 5-6 teams (pick who you want from the 2007 Pistons, 2011 and 2012 Celtics, 2015 Bulls, 2012 and 2013 and 2014 Pacers) who were actual threats to the rosters that Lebron was carrying against them. You don't win 30 playoff series in only 13 years in a stacked era without proving you can beat real competition.

:mjlol:

Yeah, same era where Clyde "I look at the ground when I dribble (right hand only) and launch broke-ass line-drive jumpers" Drexler could average 25-27ppg is an era that would really stifle Lebron.

FACTS!!!!!!!!

hakeem was losing to basically 2nd tier hall of famers out west (hakeem only went to 3 finals)....unlike Ewing and other cat's from the East who kept running into Jordan before the finals. What was Hakeem excuse for not making more finals?

AGdYrbq.png

SubZero

Hall Of Fame
Daps
Reppin
Wall Street - Black Renaissance Purveyor
Hakeem > LeBron

I think Hakeem doesn't get the credit he deserves because he's African.

C'mon, this guy is one of the all time leaders in steals and he's a big man. His footwork was impeccable and he won two rings with a mediocre supporting cast. And he owned all the big men who are HoFers including Shaq.