Layoffs at Naughty Dog, Factions “on ice”

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps

This doesn't mean anything.

Dev already said he was still working on 'that' game.

Despite reports that The Last of Us multiplayer development has stalled, director says he’s still working on it​

A standalone multiplayer The Last of Us game, known as Factions 2, has been in and out of the limelight of recent, with layoffs and other obstacles making it seem as though the game would never come to fruition. Thankfully, we now have confirmation from Naughty Dog game director Vinit Agarwal that the game is still being worked on.
It's a bit of a strange reveal, couched in a post celebrating Agarwal's success in clearing all the Special World courses in Super Mario World.
"Yes, I’m still working on that game" the post says after a little nod to all the fallen Marios that got him where he is today. There's little doubt that he's referencing the frequently asked question of whether Factions 2 is still underway. Essentially, he's trying to mitigate the fact that anything he posts now would inevitably become inundated with fans of the original The Last of Us game's multiplayer mode begging for a standalone game. And when the game is apparently "much bigger than a mode", I can understand their desperation.

Earlier this year, Naughty Dog diverted resources away from the Factions 2 multiplayer project following a bad internal review from Bungie. And with the game reportedly "on ice" at this point, there's been little hope for the project's revival.

Well, now we have heard it from the director himself - something's going on behind the scenes. Whether that means actual work is being done to get the game finished, or simply that the odd secret meeting is being held, in the dark places where Bungie can't hurt them, is another matter.

"Tell Bungie they need to fix their own game before putting yours on ice" one commenter says, encouragingly.
You can check out our upcoming PS5 games guide for a look over all the exclusive titles set to launch later this year and beyond.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Disgustingly anti-consumer and neg worthy as hell.

No, he's right. Consumers dropping hundreds on the games. Youtubers being paid off to promote. Kids spending their parents credit on VC. NBA 2k24 made even more profit with the new season passes and level skips.

Stop. Just stop supporting those practices.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
Disgustingly anti-consumer and neg worthy as hell.
im just telling the truth. We're the ones with the money, if we don't spend they gotta bend. I could also tell you how the entertainment industry has mastered the art of magic to keep us so hopelessly consuming to the point our own consuming is anti-consumer itself but then i'll sound crazy.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
im just telling the truth. We're the ones with the money, if we don't spend they gotta bend. I could also tell you how the entertainment industry has mastered the art of magic to keep us so hopelessly consuming to the point our own consuming is anti-consumer itself but then i'll sound crazy.

Its true, look how the entire industry has to move to the wave of where casual players are and what they spend money on. If Factiosn could come out and be sold for 60-70 dollars as a stand alone multiplayer game with no MTX and other exploitive means of continuing to sap money from you we’d have it by now.

Industry is going sideways because the people who complain about gaming the most don’t spend money. They’d rather bytch about something being 70 dollars regardless of the quality. While the silent majority mindlessly spend 100’s of dollars in fortnite and warzone, proving thats where publishers should focus their efforts

Last edited:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They're obviously stalling Factions to add to a rerelease of Part 2 when the new season airs. That might only be 1-2 years out tho

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I think it has more to do with industry trends than the game itself.

When all these GAAS were greenlit, GAAS was the hottest thing in gaming. The pandemic had people sitting at home with extra money and nothing to do with it, so lots of games got engagement and revenue during that time that they wouldn’t have otherwise gotten.

Since then there’s been a bunch of high profile failures and peoples spending habits have constricted. So the number pushers are probably second guessing if the investments are worth it.

Problem is, the pandemic also delayed progress on new games that got the green light. So games like factions are kinda stuck in limbo.

They are probably just reassessing how much money/resources they wanna spend to try to land a GAAS hit.

Which is also probably why they gave Jim Ryan the boot. He put them in limbo without much of a contingency plan. Now they gotta figure out what the hell the future of playstation actually looks like.
Man, that nikka meach be spittin :wow: