‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ David Oyelowo Anthology Series on Paramount+ | November 5 |

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
I tried getting into this but the lead is just not it. Will Smith would’ve been perfect in this role. Respectfully, I’m tired of this non-FBA Breh playing historical FBA figures. He lacks that authenticity.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I tried getting into this but the lead is just not it. Will Smith would’ve been perfect in this role. Respectfully, I’m tired of this non-FBA Breh playing historical FBA figures. He lacks that authenticity.

I don't think Will adds anything that Oyelowo lacks. You need an actor with more screen presence, like Denzel but in his 40s. Idris would've been better for this, but that doesn't solve your whole FBA problem.

Personally I don't give a shyt about the whole FBA actor in a FBA role thing because no one ever complains when Forest Whitaker plays Idi Amin or when Morgan Freeman plays Mandela.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Season was cool....had a dark foreboding feeling, especially knowing how bad things went for Black folks after Reconstruction :mjcry:

I don't think Will adds anything that Oyelowo lacks. You need an actor with more screen presence, like Denzel but in his 40s. Idris would've been better for this, but that doesn't solve your whole FBA problem.

Personally I don't give a shyt about the whole FBA actor in a FBA role thing because no one ever complains when Forest Whitaker plays Idi Amin or when Morgan Freeman plays Mandela.

I was OK w Oyelowo's performance, but it's hard to compare a handful of non-FBA actors playing non-FBA figures to the run of non-FBA actors playing historical FBA figures. Just saying

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
Is it supposed to be a different lead character every season?
Seems to be the case according to Deadline:
Lawmen: Bass Reeves is an anthology series, with the first season revealing the untold story of the most legendary lawman in the Old West. This installment follows the journey of Reeves (Oyelowo) and his rise from enslavement to law enforcement as the first Black U.S. Marshal west of the Mississippi. Despite arresting over 3,000 outlaws during the course of his career, the weight of the badge was heavy, and he wrestled with its moral and spiritual cost to his beloved family. Future iterations of the series will follow other iconic lawmen and outlaws who have impacted history.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
They could have digitally de-aged Delroy Lindo or something for this. I watched it all the way through. But it didn't hit like I though it would considering the subject at hand.

Jack Jules

Rookie
Daps
Season was solid. Oyelowo's accent was terrible tho.
Wish they would have kept Jennie's airing out the Klan in there. They built it up for like 4 episodes just to drop it :what:
lawmen-bass-reeves-kkk-scene-missing-season-1-paramount-plus.png

The scene in question appeared in the full-length trailer released before Bass Reeves‘ season premiere; it also was referenced in a teaser trailer. In the exchange, a group of men wearing white cloth over their faces and bearing torches and weapons stand in front of the Reeves house at night. “You’ve got to the count of five to get the hell off my land,” Jennie warns them from the porch. “Lady, you’ve got two shells in that bird-killer,” one of the hooded men taunts her. “Then I’ll just shoot you twice,” she says, lifting the gun to her shoulder and cocking it as she advances toward the man, “just to be certain.”
“It was a moment that we shot that actually worked quite well,” series creator and showrunner Chad Feehan tells TVLine, adding that the group’s appearance was related to Sally’s experience at the town carnival, and that the scene was intended for the finale. “But inevitably, we decided that having Jennie and Bass both be revisited by ghosts of Christmas past, to use a very timely analogy, was more of an impactful and more of a mirrored image experience for the two of them.”

Lawmen: Bass ReevesEP Explains Why Jennie’s KKK Confrontation Was Cut From the Finale

Last edited:

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
“But inevitably, we decided that having Jennie and Bass both be revisited by ghosts of Christmas past, to use a very timely analogy, was more of an impactful and more of a mirrored image experience for the two of them.”

:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol: