Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke says no to studio buyouts

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think this is a major point. I don't see any publisher giving blockbuster type of budget for a CRPG especially with it being a risky genre on consoles. Larian has struck gold with BG3 because even console gamers are hyped for BG3. I don't think BG3 would've happened on a major publisher because the risk is too strong. Plus, as I said earlier in the thread there's no guarantee of keeping Swen and other key members if bought out, and Divinity isn't an IP you open the vault for.

You’re right. Its no coincidence that Bethesda went 3rd/1st person when they started developing for console, Inxile went from Wasteland and Toment to whatever that clockwork game is now, Obsidian went from Pillars to Avowed, etc.

I doubt we ever see those companies go back to making isometric CRPGs. Well, they probably have a better shot now thanks to BG3

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Not ignored, they still only own 30%. Doubt they have much say in the actual creative process.

There's a difference between supporting and completely buying out a company.

They had zero creative input on "BG3".

The game has bear sex, for Christ's sake. China is one of the strictest places on the planet, in terms of censorship.

I'd honestly be amazed if "BG3" is even promoted in China, where Ten Cent is located.

Fred.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
You’re right. Its no coincidence that Bethesda went 3rd/1st person when they started developing for console, Inxile went from Wasteland and Toment to whatever that clockwork game is now, Obsidian went from Pillars to Avowed, etc.

I doubt we ever see those companies go back to making isometric CRPGs. Well, they probably have a better shot now thanks to BG3
these big publishers gave us Dragon Age 2 :francis:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Yeah, its success will only benefit the industry because it means publishers will give CRPGs a chance. I think people sleep on the fact that big publishers are risk-averse, so it's rare to see them take chances. I think with Obsidian is tricky because I think Avowed is something they had planned for a while, but I highly doubt Microsoft would allow them to make another Pillars game over Avowed and Outer Worlds 2 since those types of games are proven. However, if they did allow another Pillars it wouldn't get close to the budget of other MS games.

At the end of the day, BG3 success will only benefit the industry because it shows theirs a market for CRPGs, and it just takes one success for publishers to chase it. While being acquired could be a good thing for some studios it, but it does come with constraints because publishers aren't always going to take risks because corporations are programmed to be risk averse and if they do a risk it's out of desperation.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
these big publishers gave us Dragon Age 2 :francis:
I liked it for what it was, but it made me sad to go from one of the greatest games of all time imo to that

edit: also, just look at Bioware they got acquired and they can't even make the game they want just look at Anthem and how the new dragon age had force live service

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I liked it for what it was, but it made me sad to go from one of the greatest games of all time imo to that

edit: also, just look at Bioware they got acquired and they can't even make the game they want just look at Anthem and how the new dragon age had force live service

New Dragon Age is also going to be more action orientated

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

it's a good game, but it felt more like a spin off

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
New Dragon Age is also going to be more action orientated
I think it's a fair question to ask, but has Bioware been able to create a game with their full control since Dragon Age: origins?

We have to look at dragon age 2 being what it was and mass effect 3 even had tacked on multiplayer, but unsure if that's what they wanted. I felt Bioware is one of those companies that suffered by being acquired because they're a shadow of their former selves. Plus, this does beg the question to ask would Larian face these same obstacles if they're acquired by the wrong publisher?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Next thing you know a check gonna be delivered and you gonna see them on stage smiling with Phil :lolbron:

PS5’s are on sale, come get some good food, brother

2-E808-AD6-B19-B-4647-A6-AA-1-FE3-E33-F9-BE6.jpg

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think it's a fair question to ask, but has Bioware been able to create a game with their full control since Dragon Age: origins?

We have to look at dragon age 2 being what it was and mass effect 3 even had tacked on multiplayer, but unsure if that's what they wanted. I felt Bioware is one of those companies that suffered by being acquired because they're a shadow of their former selves. Plus, this does beg the question to ask would Larian face these same obstacles if they're acquired by the wrong publisher?

Hard to say, it takes forever to put out games now and Andromeda and Anthem bombed, so the trajectory has been bad so far

their output has dwindled so badly that its hard to make out a pattern

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Some of these folks don’t understand it’s not all about the money.

Company releases a great game and folks wondering when they’ll be bought.
Companies get sold. But it’s my understanding that they brought his up though.
Not sure how this is relevant in the context of the thread. They've owned 30% since 2021 and had nothing to do with "BG3".

His issue is an outside company having a majority stake in Larian (Ten Cent doesn't) and tampering with the games (Ten Cent didn't).

Fred.
Microsoft taking a hands off approach to its studios creative freedom and tencent buying up 30 percent of his company and allowing him to maintain his creative freedom undermines his argument. You can add in Bungie in the list of recent purchases as well where they maintained creative freedom based on our reports.

He could have just said he wasn’t interested in selling and kept it moving.

James

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Companies get sold. But it’s my understanding that they brought his up though.

Microsoft taking a hands off approach to its studios creative freedom and tencent buying up 30 percent of his company and allowing him to maintain his creative freedom undermines his argument. You can add in Bungie in the list of recent purchases as well where they maintained creative freedom based on our reports.

He could have just said he wasn’t interested in selling and kept it moving.

James
Destiny’s whole monetization model changed when they were bought out by activision.

Yea they might still have creative control, but we might be looking at a slew of microtransactions so they can maximize profit

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Remember when CDPR was the industry darling standing up against the “big guy” and just relying on their creativity and close knit small studio to outdo the big guys…………… :wow:

That narrative changed almost over night.

Gamers get too caught up in these feel good stories.

BG3 looks like a great game and deserving of the current hype, but all this extra shyt is probably going too far. Just like with any other dev with a huge hit game like this, they are gonna spend the next decade or so cashing checks.:manny: