Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke says no to studio buyouts

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
And people wonder why we have all these lazy ass annual releases and non creative ass open world games.
Because people buy those games.

It’s great this game is getting recognition, but the average assassins creed is gonna sell lots more copies. :manny:
fukk yo creativity, get the bag…
Nobody doing this to NOT make money. “Starving Artist” is just a temporary phase.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Because people buy those games.

It’s great this game is getting recognition, but the average assassins creed is gonna sell lots more copies. :manny:

Nobody doing this to NOT make money. “Starving Artist” is just a temporary phase.
Valid points, I just enjoy studios/teams taking chances on themselves. I doubt any major publisher would have let something like Battlebit or Vampire Survivors release.

I guess it's part of the game now, but I miss random creative games. Playing Katamari for the first time was eye opening for me back in the day.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Valid points, I just enjoy studios/teams taking chances on themselves. I doubt any major publisher would have let something like Battlebit or Vampire Survivors release.

I guess it's part of the game now, but I miss random creative games. Playing Katamari for the first time was eye opening for me back in the day.
Lots of AA games in that space now.

But it’s the cycle of things. You “innovate” till you get your big hit then you cash out.

capitalism at work :ehh:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Seems like a bit of projection. The only reason they were able to be as creative as they have been is due to putting out an unfinished product as a means of crowd sourcing. If they didn’t sell 2.5 million copies early they’d have had to make some cuts to overall product.

That much is witnessed by them expanding after EA.
I guarantee if they offered $100 billion he'd sell that studio and found a new one. He'd probably do it for 15% of that. Everyone has a price.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Whole point of working your way to this dudes position is to cash out eventually.

He gone go home a be a family man one day :ehh:
No the whole point of working for ownership is control. Not selling what you built. lol
Eventually, you get in a good spot and hire a good manager and grow, and you can be the one buying and you have more control, more resources, more power.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Some of these folks don’t understand it’s not all about the money.

Company releases a great game and folks wondering when they’ll be bought.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Sure, money talks, but realistically there isn't an amount of money a company can offer that would make selling studio worth it. I think the only IP they own is Divinity, and it's not that popular. So, they're better off just continuing doing what they've been doing. Plus, the important part about Larian is the studio itself, so there's a huge risk of a mass exodus if bought out. Plus, we've seen with BG3 and Divinity that they can turn exisiting and new IPs into gold.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Sure, money talks, but realistically there isn't an amount of money a company can offer that would make selling studio worth it. I think the only IP they own is Divinity, and it's not that popular. So, they're better off just continuing doing what they've been doing. Plus, the important part about Larian is the studio itself, so there's a huge risk of a mass exodus if bought out. Plus, we've seen with BG3 and Divinity that they can turn exisiting and new IPs into gold.
yep, the value of the company is the people that work there (including Swen), not the IP's. they're a small studio from Belgium, and probably like family. if bought out, it would probably all fall apart

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps

:picard:Praise God that didn’t happen fukkers already snatched up Starfield. Although I will be honest it’s the smart move to snatch up studios with potential when they are still in their growing phase. The thing is will they still be the same when a huge corporation snatches them up. Another one to watch out for is Owlcat games, their potential is outstanding. They need help and a bigger budget (watch this space with this studio). What Larian has achieved is great for the industry as smaller studios would have had the fire in their bellies lit. The possibilities are endless with the right ambition and patience.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
:bryan: Xbots are a bunch of Ol' Mr. Wallace ass nikkas.

C6FqVwUUoAA7GdV.jpg:large

About to be chasing that man all across Belgium. :dead:

599503c2-c0e1-484a-8afe-554aa0df33a2_text.gif