Ladies who had relaxers and are now natural

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
That's interesting to me! I don't blow dry my hair after I dry it unless I'm trying to do a blow out or am going to flat iron. I do sit under the dryer for deep conditioning treatments and drying wet sets though. At least in the winter, because I'm not walking out of the house with wet hair. I also despise going to bed with wet hair because it makes my scalp itch! I can't do all this "greenhouse method" baggying stuff on YouTube... Uh uh, I tried it twice and my scalp was pissed. I transitioned the first time I was trying to "go natural" then ended up relaxing it after 4 months. That was December 2011, in February 2012, I had emergency brain surgery, cut off the rest of my hair March 2012, and I haven't had a relaxer since. But I do try to flat iron it as straight as possible for actual cuts. I had 2 inches taken off last month and some shaping done because I had some wacky layers in there. My stylist is good, and she's the only person besides my mom and one other stylist who has ever taken scissors to my hair. She can do dust trims on my hair when it's just blown out (it's huge too) but for cuts, we both feel safer if it's as flat and straight as possible.

Whoa you had brain surgery? That's crazy. I probably wouldn't get another relaxer after that either, there are a lot of scary stories about what the chemicals can do but I aint about that natural life. I tried it last year but my hair is way too thick for it + I take care of it myself the majority of the time so putting in all the work got to me and eventually I went back to the relaxers. However, I don't use them as much. I only got one last year and I'll probably only get one, maybe two this year.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
Whoa you had brain surgery? That's crazy. I probably wouldn't get another relaxer after that either, there are a lot of scary stories about what the chemicals can do but I aint about that natural life. I tried it last year but my hair is way too thick for it + I take care of it myself the majority of the time so putting in all the work got to me and eventually I went back to the relaxers. However, I don't use them as much. I only got one last year and I'll probably only get one, maybe two this year.
Yes I did! It is crazy, my life is more like a movie than my actual life (it seems--to me anyway) sometimes. I hear you! I'm just glad my hair grew back in as thick and healthy as it ever was. I was afraid because of the surgery, the medication, the stress, the radiation... But no, it's definitely back and as thick as it was when I was a little girl with massive hair, down to the middle of my back! I'm trying to get back to that. Except now I'm a little taller hahah! But yeah, if you're okay with stretching your relaxers, I think that's fine!! If I were to relax again, I'd probably go that route. Stretch as long as possible. I think I used to get it done every 8-10 weeks when I was relaxed, but I can't remember anymore since it's been so long.

VFib

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Me, myself and I
I got my relaxers done at the salon. It wasn't bone straight any more after the first wash. It looked textured if that makes any sense. I liked the straight textured look.

MoonGoddess

Packing All The Flavour You Need
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fantasy.
Mine was straight. The only time it never got bone straight is when i started doing them myself only because i wasnt using a regular perm i was using tcb i think it was called. Also i only permed my hair 2-3 times a year. From what i recall it was usually slightly wavy when wet. I have fine hair strands so except for the roots my hair provessed fairly quick oh and i colored it a lot so thats another factor.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
I got my relaxers done at the salon. It wasn't bone straight any more after the first wash. It looked textured if that makes any sense. I liked the straight textured look.

Mine was straight. The only time it never got bone straight is when i started doing them myself only because i wasnt using a regular perm i was using tcb i think it was called. Also i only permed my hair 2-3 times a year. From what i recall it was usually slightly wavy when wet. I have fine hair strands so except for the roots my hair provessed fairly quick oh and i colored it a lot so thats another factor.

Mine was bone straight. When wet it was more wavy than curly.

Thanks! This is more along what I experienced. A textured, wavy look. If I didn't use gel for my "wash n go" while relaxed, but used mousse, I had a soft hold of curls and I liked that look!

My natural hair's curl is way too tight to reproduce that look without at least using a texturizer, but I can get close enough by a twist out on stretched hair that's just slightly damp. Just have to do smaller twists and a softer styler that still gives some hold. Actually, I like it better this way (natural) because my hair grows fuller as the days go by and I just feel more like me! A little styled, little wild, mostly free. :smile:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thanks! This is more along what I experienced. A textured, wavy look. If I didn't use gel for my "wash n go" while relaxed, but used mousse, I had a soft hold of curls and I liked that look!

My natural hair's curl is way too tight to reproduce that look without at least using a texturizer, but I can get close enough by a twist out on stretched hair that's just slightly damp. Just have to do smaller twists and a softer styler that still gives some hold. Actually, I like it better this way (natural) because my hair grows fuller as the days go by and I just feel more like me! A little styled, little wild, mostly free. :smile:

My hair looks like this for the most part, but the top is more rounded and I have a part on each side. The curl pattern is similar though. I don't do anything with my hair, just some conditioner, oil and hope for the best. I want to grow out the sides though.

TheCutLife-Shaved-Sides_luxe-beauty.png

In a perfect world my shyt would look like this
062614_0344_naturalhair5.png

MCMLXXIX

Rookie
Daps
When I got relaxers, it would have a light wavy to it, not bone straight.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
My hair looks like this for the most part, but the top is more rounded and I have a part on each side. The curl pattern is similar though. I don't do anything with my hair, just some conditioner, oil and hope for the best. I want to grow out the sides though.

TheCutLife-Shaved-Sides_luxe-beauty.png

In a perfect world my shyt would look like this
062614_0344_naturalhair5.png
I love that! I loved having short hair because it was so quick. Literally wash n go. Plus it stayed off my neck in hot Texas Summer which was nice.

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps
Mine was straight, until I started doing "texlaxing" then it was wavy.

LimitedEdition

Misanthropy Personified
Daps
Reppin
In the south!
No mater what relaxer I used my hair never got bone straight. Ever. Affirm would make it very loose but again never straight. As I got older and had to start paying for it myself I felt like it was pointless to pay for a relaxer and still have to flat iron my hair when I could just pay for the flat iron.

I always thought it was wierd because my hair is 3B. You would think my hair would get real straight with a relaxer but nope.