Ladies who had relaxers and are now natural

Lithe

All Star
Daps
Was your hair bone straight with a relaxer, even when wet? I'm curious, because I read on LHCF (long haircare forum) about women's hair being straightened with a relaxer, and staying straight even when wet. I did have a relaxer for many years. My mother was a cosmetologist for 22 years, so she relaxed my hair from when I was 11 until I was 16, then taught me how to do it. I did my own hair 16-24. Last relaxer was December 2011. But my hair was never bone straight unless I flat ironed it. As soon as I got it wet, it curled up into a very relaxed wave/curl.

Was it supposed to be straight even when wet? I can't even fathom... Haha!

Lithe

All Star
Daps
My hair was always wavy even if I went to the beauty shop. When I started doing home perms it was even more wavy.
I remember my friends telling me they couldn't go swimming because they just had their hair permed (and it wasn't a precaution as in don't scratch your scalp before the relaxer, or not going since you just had it relaxed and the pores are open/sensitive scalp) and didn't want to get it wet. That didn't register in my mind... So? Just wash it, blow dry it, and braid it or flat iron it. Haha! My hair is extremely curly/wavy/coily/something. I don't even know what what "type" I have, just that I take good care of it. It was wavy when it was relaxed, but more curly the longer I went without a relaxer, and now it's natural so I fight to get it "bone" straight if I decide to flat iron. I love it!

CinnamonTequila

Playing that music too loud ;)
Daps
Reppin
RD --- DR
My aunt put relaxer on my hair when I was 14 until I was 16 when I started taking care of it on my own.
It used to be straight even when wet... I hated it cause I had to put on a lot of products when I wanted to wear it curly and the curls didn't look natural.
Now I use a flat iron when I want to wear it flat straight and when I wash my hair it curls up very nice...
I used to have long hair and I had it cut a year ago so I'm still getting used to doing my hair with '' short hair styles ''
I want it to grow again :mjcry:

Lithe

All Star
Daps
My aunt put relaxer on my hair when I was 14 until I was 16 when I started taking care of it on my own.
It used to be straight even when wet... I hated it cause I had to put on a lot of products when I wanted to wear it curly and the curls didn't look natural.
Now I use a flat iron when I want to wear it flat straight and when I wash my hair it curls up very nice...
I used to have long hair and I had it cut a year ago so I'm still getting used to doing my hair with '' short hair styles ''
I want it to grow again :mjcry:

I can understand wanting your hair to grow. My hair grows a lot, I just always have my hands in it so I know I'm not retaining as much length as I could.

When my hair was relaxed and I wore it "naturally curly," it was usually just wavy but sometimes it would look like loose curls. It's natural now but I straightened it last night since I'm trying to keep my hands out. I find that I mess with it less when it's in straight styles.

M'gann

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
When relaxed my hair was always straight when wet, but wavy if I let it air dry. My mom still uses relaxers and her hair dries straight so she rarely ever blow-dries before straightening like I had to do.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
When relaxed my hair was always straight when wet, but wavy if I let it air dry. My mom still uses relaxers and her hair dries straight so she rarely ever blow-dries before straightening like I had to do.
Psh... I wish my hair would dry straight! It was wavy when relaxed and tight, compact curls now since it's natural. It's grown so much though that I can't get it in the sphere shaped fro I used to be able to wear before it got too much weight. At first it just grew up and out... Now it's growing out and down. Having natural hair really is a journey.

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
Straight when I went to the salon because my stylist would let it sit in for a while. But when I would get box ones it was more of a wave.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
Straight when I went to the salon because my stylist would let it sit in for a while. But when I would get box ones it was more of a wave.
Maybe that's why mine was never straight when wet... I never went to the salon for a relaxer. Ever! That's interesting though.

M'gann

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Psh... I wish my hair would dry straight! It was wavy when relaxed and tight, compact curls now since it's natural. It's grown so much though that I can't get it in the sphere shaped fro I used to be able to wear before it got too much weight. At first it just grew up and out... Now it's growing out and down. Having natural hair really is a journey.

It really is, but I'm happy that I decided to stop relaxing. I can't wait to get over this awkward stage so I can have more options for styling. This is the first winter I'm going through with my natural hair and it's been so hard trying to figure out what to do because the cold leaves my hair dry and stiff. I don't like wearing braids, but I got crochet ones that i'll rock until the weather picks up.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
u ladies are awesome, ur journey is not going unnoticed..dnt hesitate for support from yo black men :smile:

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
I don't have tight curls in any case but even then with relaxer it would dry wavy. I guess it was my hair just less frizz which is why I'd relaxed it.

When I went natural and washed my hair for the first time after my big chop I was surprised to find curly hair (very curly well defined each bit just beautifully bouncy. That was an emotional high, like I was rediscovering a part of my body I'd never really met)

But anyway to answer your question never bone straight. I wonder if it's to do with the strength of the relaxer? Also is there a correlation with straightness and damage?

EARFQUAKE

šŸ„°
Supporter
Daps
Just as Daria stated, it's straightened when wet but if I air dry it you couldn't tell I had it relaxed.

I always blow dry my hair after I wash it. The last time I got a relaxer was probably four or five months ago. I'm going to wait another three months to let it grow some more to get another relaxer and then cut it evenly.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
It really is, but I'm happy that I decided to stop relaxing. I can't wait to get over this awkward stage so I can have more options for styling. This is the first winter I'm going through with my natural hair and it's been so hard trying to figure out what to do because the cold leaves my hair dry and stiff. I don't like wearing braids, but I got crochet ones that i'll rock until the weather picks up.
Me too!! You couldn't even pay me to relax my hair ever again. Partially because I'm afraid of damaging my scalp. I had brain surgery and I'm really not trying to do anything to my body that could hurt me... Even though I have survivor friends who have relaxers done. Nah, not for me. I remember the awkward stage, and now I miss it because at least I could get my fro to stay compact and a "real" afro!! Winter is more difficult than summer in terms of managing hair, I hear you. I try to leave mine twisted up in the winter. It's just difficult trying to figure out how to use which products and when! The crochet braids sound like a safe bet though!! I think as long as you keep your ends protected, proper moisture-protein balance, and keep your hands out (my biggest struggle) of your hair, you should be okay!! :smile:

u ladies are awesome, ur journey is not going unnoticed..dnt hesitate for support from yo black men :smile:
Thank you!

I don't have tight curls in any case but even then with relaxer it would dry wavy. I guess it was my hair just less frizz which is why I'd relaxed it.

When I went natural and washed my hair for the first time after my big chop I was surprised to find curly hair (very curly well defined each bit just beautifully bouncy. That was an emotional high, like I was rediscovering a part of my body I'd never really met)

But anyway to answer your question never bone straight. I wonder if it's to do with the strength of the relaxer? Also is there a correlation with straightness and damage?
Hmm... You know what, I have a biracial friend (not saying you are) who relaxed her hair to make it less frizzy. Which, her curl natural curl pattern is so loose... But if that's what she felt she had to do, more power to her. It's funny because we became friends after she kept staring at me in history lecture. I asked her what's up, and she said "I just love your hair. It always looks great, I'm sorry... But how do you do it?" So I talked to her about twists (I almost always have my hair in twists and twist outs) and some products I used. Then as we got to know each other, I found out she's half Kenyan, half white (not sure what race her mother is) but that she also felt the pressure to have "manageable" hair, so she relaxed it. She hasn't relaxed it at all since we've been friends in 2 years, but I have flat ironed it for her, because we both go to the same stylist (one of my good friends) for trims! But I do remember her saying that when she relaxed hers, it was just to make it less frizzy. What you said reminded me of that.

I went natural after having the front part of my head shaved for emergency brain surgery. The next month, my mom cut off the rest of my hair, which was about to the middle of my back. That was March 2012. I absolutely loved (I mean LOVED) having my hair in a fade. Loved it so much. It grew in very wavy, then as it's gotten longer, the front is waves while the back is little ringlet curls! It's all so interesting to me. My hair doesn't even respond the same to the products I could use early on in my journey, but I'm enjoying learning and tending to its needs. I remember the first time I did a wash n go after my hair had grown out to more of a TWA and seeing the definition of the waves and curls. It was gorgeous. It feels good to feel good, you know? I hear you 100% about the emotional high! :wub:

Possibly the strength. My mom always used whatever the salon would use, but maybe she didn't let it process as long as they would at the salon?! I don't know, I just know my hair was never bone straight but some of my girlfriends' hair would be bone straight when wet. About a correlation between straightness and heat damage, I know with having natural hair, if I flat iron it too much (using too much heat too often does it as well) then some of it will stay straighter than usual. I know then it's time for a protein treatment. I use Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor and then a deep condtioning treatment, lay off the heat for a while! I do not want to have to cut my hair again, although I deeply miss my tapered fade days because it was so easy.

Lithe

All Star
Daps
Just as Daria stated, it's straightened when wet but if I air dry it you couldn't tell I had it relaxed.

I always blow dry my hair after I wash it. The last time I got a relaxer was probably four or five months ago. I'm going to wait another three months to let it grow some more to get another relaxer and then cut it evenly.
That's interesting to me! I don't blow dry my hair after I dry it unless I'm trying to do a blow out or am going to flat iron. I do sit under the dryer for deep conditioning treatments and drying wet sets though. At least in the winter, because I'm not walking out of the house with wet hair. I also despise going to bed with wet hair because it makes my scalp itch! I can't do all this "greenhouse method" baggying stuff on YouTube... Uh uh, I tried it twice and my scalp was pissed. I transitioned the first time I was trying to "go natural" then ended up relaxing it after 4 months. That was December 2011, in February 2012, I had emergency brain surgery, cut off the rest of my hair March 2012, and I haven't had a relaxer since. But I do try to flat iron it as straight as possible for actual cuts. I had 2 inches taken off last month and some shaping done because I had some wacky layers in there. My stylist is good, and she's the only person besides my mom and one other stylist who has ever taken scissors to my hair. She can do dust trims on my hair when it's just blown out (it's huge too) but for cuts, we both feel safer if it's as flat and straight as possible.