Kobe and AI Never Shot Close to 50percent FG% Once In Their Career

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
nikkas do jumping jacks on their favorite old head player :dame:, lying in this thread saying field goal % is nerd shyt and never mattered is crazy
They tie their self's into pretzels and come up with every excuse in the book no matter how far fetched yet this same guys have no issue critiquing and mocking every part of curry, lebrons or other players games

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
They tie their self's into pretzels and come up with every excuse in the book no matter how far fetched yet this same guys have no issue critiquing and mocking every part of curry, lebrons or other players games
The only people who brought up field goal percentage back then were HATERS. Kobe isn’t that good, look at the shots he takes he’s not efficient! :damn: I was one of them :russ:

The internet is the FIRST place I ever heard anyone try and slander AI bc of his FG%. Not saying it didn’t matter but context was always key and people recognized stars.

Ben.

Heisenbrook
Daps
Reppin
Orlando, FL
50% is a random number. Guards generally did not shoot that well with the level of usage AI and Kobe had. Those that did are basically GOAT level scorers, Steph, Wade, CP3, and Booker types.

If you want to know how great they were as scorers, you would use relative TS%. This isn't the end all be all but its decent to get an idea. AI is well known for his terrible performances. Funny thing is the word about Kobe was he generally played well vs top tier defenses, Wade would go Superman vs all time level defenses(2003 Indy, 2004 Detroit), and MJ was MJ. Then guys like Lebron and KD would basically maintain superstar numbers vs everyone.
TS% a garbage stat, I'd say use relative eFG%

As far as the thread I'd say compare what they shot vs. the league average on FG% and eFG% cuz comparing to later eras isn't realistic

Ben.

Heisenbrook
Daps
Reppin
Orlando, FL
FG% / eFG%
'01 Kobe = 46/48
'01 League average = 44/47
'01 AI = 42/44

''02 Kobe = 47/48
'02 League = 44/47
'02 AI = 40/42

'06 Kobe = 45/49
'06 League = 45/49
'06 AI = 44/46

So Kobe has always been about the average efficiency or slightly higher and AI has been below which I guess you have a point for AI but not Kobe.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Defense was back then was legit

AI was a small guard and routinely had to shoot over guys much taller than him even on the perimeter, still got buckets though :ufdup:

A 6'5, 6-4 AI would be at Jordan's percentage

Kobe had terrible shot selection