Killing them softly....

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I heard this movie was :trash:

I have been sitting on this for like a couple months. is the blu ray rip out so I can ditch the dvd screener if I plan on watching?

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Bleh.....dialog intensive scenes that lack interesting dialog. And the movie repeatedly beats you over the head with it's message.

Gandolfini has a pretty great guest spot though, and the heist scene itself is very well done.

Very disappointing over all though.

Bob Loblaw

Superstar
Daps
I liked it for what it was, IDK about replay value though

I heard this movie was :trash:

I have been sitting on this for like a couple months. is the blu ray rip out so I can ditch the dvd screener if I plan on watching?

Yep.

Daps
:rudy:

it's directed by the guy who directed The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford so that should give an idea of it's pacing.

it's very reminiscent of The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) - IMDb

Yeah, the political excerpts / billboards / commercials / radio play were all blatantly placed. I think their inclusion should have been more subtly handled, but the director was taking the source novel (Cogan's Trade) material and updating the time frame of the plot (to present day) to include the political allegory of americans & our economics / people in charge. The director said as he was working on it & seeing what was going on it our country, and how it fit so well with the material, he had to put it in.

"Richard Jenkins represents the indecisive, inscrutable government.

James Gandolfini represents the bumbling, whiny, stupid American people.

Brad Pitt represents the voice of reason that resides in each one of us suppressed. Only his character knows the harsh truths but refuses to lie to himself like Gandolfini or Jenkins."

the messages spouted throughout should enhance brad pitt's final monologue to a level of super potency. fukk, I re-watched those last few minutes a few times over. Movies with great endings really do it for me.

Also I loved it visually, the horribly depressing city, how genuine the sound effects of ray liotta getting repeatedly punched in the rain were... a second viewing is necessary, after reading a lot about it, and being in the mood for it. Part of me though would like another short sequence or two included of gangster shootings or general badassery (that fit plot-wise) to head off any criticisms of it being slow paced / "boring".

Basically it's great (IMO), but you've gotta be in the mood for it. a lot of people saw who were in it and went in thinking it'd be one think, and couldn't appreciate it for what it was so they label it as garbage.

ADLT

make u feel sum type a wave
Daps
Reppin
choom gang
i wasn't that high on this initially but it took me multiple viewings to appreciate jessie james so i guess i need to rewatch this in order to form a better opinion

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
:rudy:

it's directed by the guy who directed The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford so that should give an idea of it's pacing.

it's very reminiscent of The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) - IMDb

Yeah, the political excerpts / billboards / commercials / radio play were all blatantly placed. I think their inclusion should have been more subtly handled, but the director was taking the source novel (Cogan's Trade) material and updating the time frame of the plot (to present day) to include the political allegory of americans & our economics / people in charge. The director said as he was working on it & seeing what was going on it our country, and how it fit so well with the material, he had to put it in.

the messages spouted throughout should enhance brad pitt's final monologue to a level of super potency. fukk, I re-watched those last few minutes a few times over. Movies with great endings really do it for me.

Also I loved it visually, the horribly depressing city, how genuine the sound effects of ray liotta getting repeatedly punched in the rain were... a second viewing is necessary, after reading a lot about it, and being in the mood for it. Part of me though would like another short sequence or two included of gangster shootings or general badassery (that fit plot-wise) to head off any criticisms of it being slow paced / "boring".

Basically it's great (IMO), but you've gotta be in the mood for it. a lot of people saw who were in it and went in thinking it'd be one think, and couldn't appreciate it for what it was so they label it as garbage.

I generally have no problem with slower paced films....hell, I loved The Master...and 'Jesse James' for that matter.

But my disappointment with this movie went beyond the pace. Many of the highly stylized elements felt WAY out of place in a film that was otherwise gritty and dark. Too often I felt myself NOTICING the director's decisions.